Thread photos dual iso

Started by Danne, July 30, 2013, 09:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

4cc3ss

I need to venture out my cave once in a while & start using dual iso, the posted photos are simply amazing.

Good job ;)
Canon uses Nikon's 2nd hand parts.

a1ex

Hello... Nikon has this feature built-in, just shoot at ISO 100 ;)

(look in the source; one of the codename for dual ISO was "Nikon mode")

4cc3ss

Shhh... i'm here as a canon user A1ex, i have a Nikon site for Nikon camera. ;)

Btw you still think about my offer :P

Best regards,
4cc3ss
Canon uses Nikon's 2nd hand parts.

Audionut

chris_overseas

I'm really interested to see your photos but unfortunately your links are broken - DropBox permissions issue maybe? The reason I'm so curious is because I'm going to Son Doong Cave in April and have been wondering what sort of results I'll be able to get with dual ISO. I'll have limited battery capacity, will only have once chance at the trip and I won't be able to do any processing until the trip is over so the more prepared I can be the better.

Quote from: Anonymouse on February 09, 2014, 01:51:20 PM
Went to the Jenolan caves recently, couldn't believe the detail I was able to extract from this one photo!
5D III Test
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Audionut

mad.eos

(posted by mistake on another thread about dual_iso)

hi guys,

I would like to share a dual_iso picture just to show one of the big advantages of using the dual_iso module while having some dr with one shot.

Kitty scratching in HDR! May be plain to some, I loved the final result! ;)

Canon EOS 1100D w/ 18-55mm | ML Nightly Build Tester

Aftab

Folks, I am new to magic lantern. Last couple of weeks I have trying dual iso with 5DII and I am soooooooo impressed. :)
I want to thank the awesome people behind the curtain.
I want to share a picture I have taken using dual iso. This is my first post here. Let me see if I can post the pic.

Edit: looks like it didn't work. Another try.

Danne

sqd

Quote from: mad.eos on February 25, 2014, 10:24:27 AM
I would like to share a dual_iso picture just to show one of the big advantages of using the dual_iso module while having some dr with one shot.

Indeed, sharing a shot here that was also taken with dual ISO - maybe not the best example for a situation that has a lot of dynamic range, but still, the difference was noticeable that day from dual and non-dual iso shots :) Point is, dual iso takes away nothing from shooting moving objects.

Full size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/squareddesign/12614732584/

Starclassic

First time with dual_iso 600D.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

sqd

dubzeebass

Here's Chicago from yesterday when they dyed the river.

Danne

riclim

Canon 1100D
f/22, 1/100sec, ISO100/ISO1600 Dual ISO

My first try of Dual ISO function~

Before, normal shoot will jpeg

After, shoot with Dual ISO

Compare of the all photo

Zoom in view of the compare photo

Marsu42

Quote from: riclim on March 17, 2014, 07:16:07 AM
My first try of Dual ISO function~

The use of dual_iso is questionable for static scenes, as some shots in this thread are - is this explained in the in-camera help lines(s) clearly enough? For a good example look at the cat shot above.

This method is ok if you just want a quick hdr extension, but otherwise you might want to try dual_iso vs. an actual 2x bracketing enfuse/hdr shot with overlap of ~2ev... and I would suppose for "keepers" with details in the shadows and highlights a >2x multiple bracket will be superior hands down if viewed @100% mag.

Audionut

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 17, 2014, 07:48:52 AM
The use of dual_iso is questionable for static scenes,

Negative!

Most all of the original problems with dual_iso are now fixed with the latest cr2hdr.

Bracketing shots will have motion effects on all but the extreme static scenes.  Kill the shutter faster.  Arguably, longer to post process. 

That's 3 issues with bracketing vs dual_iso that I can think of, off the top of my head.  Using ISO to bracket, instead of dual_iso, now that would be silly :P

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on March 17, 2014, 08:26:37 AM
Using ISO to bracket, instead of dual_iso, now that would be silly :P

Of course your evaluation and choice of words is of course up to you, but from my experience I strongly disagree with your assessment, and afaik alex also wrote that dual_iso is for high dr motion. Btw usually you will do shutter bracketing, not iso.

Even ignoring the acr wb problem the loss of fine detail in shadows and highlights is  noticeable, an inherent problem since the dual_iso shots simply only have half of the data. Also with "real" bracketing you have a wide post-processing choice, often exposure fusion is preferable to blending/hdr... not to speak of real detail work with ps layer. I'd advice every aspiring "dual_iso only" user to really try both options and look for the advantages and disadvantages him/herself.

Audionut

You shared your opinion, I shared mine!

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 17, 2014, 09:20:37 AM
and afaik alex also wrote that dual_iso is for high dr motion.

a1ex shared 1 aspect of photography where dual_iso would rain supreme, yes.
As a photographer, you understand the rules of exposure and composition, then you break them.

I use dual_iso, every, single, time, the shadows in my shots are more the -8 EV from saturation.  I don't conform to rules.  I make things work as I need them too  ;)

a1ex

My tripod prefers to stay at home usually (so hand-held shooting counts as motion too).

Here's a (hopefully unbiased) test to show how much resolution you are losing: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg99437#msg99437

Audionut

It became extremely windy, and this was the only place where the sand wasn't going to fly away.

As Captured

+4 EV in post - ie:  Exposing for the midtones in camera

dual_iso

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on March 17, 2014, 09:30:26 AM
My tripod prefers to stay at home usually (so hand-held shooting counts as motion too).

Depends on the hdr software you're using, at least Photomatrix is extremely effective in compensating small frame differences - and all my lenses save one have IS anyway.

Quote from: a1ex on March 17, 2014, 09:30:26 AM
Here's a (hopefully unbiased) test to show how much resolution you are losing:

I admit I'm often shooting worst-case situations - furry animals with a good lens, so there's a lot of very fine detail esp. in the highlights and this is where I see the resolution loss of dual_iso. Still, better than clipping and no details at all, that's why I'm a big fan of it :-)

Audionut

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 17, 2014, 07:01:26 PM
and all my lenses save one have IS anyway.

IS only helps with spacial motion, not temporal motion.