Tuto Workflow RAWMagic and raw2dng 100% CinemaDNG with Resolve and Final Cut Pro

Started by meditant, July 30, 2013, 06:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meditant

This is the 2 tuto of my 14bits workflow with RAWMagic, raw2dng, resolve and Final Cut Pro X

With raw2dng :

With RAWMagic :

Best regards and thanks to ML for this awesome work !

dariSSight

Quote from: meditant on July 30, 2013, 06:02:19 PM
This is the 2 tuto of my 14bits workflow with RAWMagic, raw2dng, resolve and Final Cut Pro X

With raw2dng :

With RAWMagic :

Best regards and thanks to ML for this awesome work !

What's Your opinion on which is better RAW2DNG and RAWMagic?
Canon 5D Mark II

danielschweinert

Hi Hunter,

just saw your vimeo tutorial regarding the 5D Mark III RAW video workflow. I followed your tutorial using your LUT but I always get "green fringing" around bright edges and distracting noise in my footage. In DaVinci Resolve Lite 9.1.5 the output looks horrible compared to After Effects workflow.

How did you get such a clean image output in DaVinci Resolve? I've also used different converters for DNG but it makes no difference to the image quality. I don't know what Im doing wrong.

See the attached JPG for a comparison between Resolve and After Effects output.

Best Regards
Daniel

meditant

Quote from: dariSSight on August 03, 2013, 02:20:45 AM
What's Your opinion on which is better RAW2DNG and RAWMagic?

Hello,

i have a little preference for RAWMagic !

Regards

meditant

Quote from: danielschweinert on August 03, 2013, 09:58:31 PM
Hi Hunter,

just saw your vimeo tutorial regarding the 5D Mark III RAW video workflow. I followed your tutorial using your LUT but I always get "green fringing" around bright edges and distracting noise in my footage. In DaVinci Resolve Lite 9.1.5 the output looks horrible compared to After Effects workflow.

How did you get such a clean image output in DaVinci Resolve? I've also used different converters for DNG but it makes no difference to the image quality. I don't know what Im doing wrong.

Best Regards
Daniel

Hello,

In resolve what is you clip configuration ?
Do you use BMC ?

Regards

danielschweinert

Yes it's BMD Film exactly like shown in your tutorial. It happens only on bright edges.

meditant

Strange ! Could you post a very short .raw with the problem and i use it to test with the workflow.

regards

danielschweinert

Yes of course see the links below. It only happens around bright edges that rolloff to dark grey. It's not always that visible. And no it's not chromatic aberration.

http://www.schweinert.com/upload/M04_1261.raw

meditant

meditant

Hello,

Look the .mov below if you seeing difference:

http://transfert.franck-rondot.com/Divers/M04_1261_C0000_86400.mov

I use :
RAWMagic 1.0 from AppStore
Resolve 9.1.5
A BMC profils in clip setings  and a Hunter LUT

Regards

danielschweinert

Hi meditant,

thanks for taking your time. Yes it's visible but much lesser. Are you using DaVinci for Windows or MAC? I have to do the same test on a MAC maybe it interprets it a little bit different than Windows version.

meditant

chmee

it's not the first time, some users say, mac-version seems to have the "better" debayering.. possibly the debayer-algorithm is nailed to common video-resolutions - i didnt tested it..

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Midphase

llirik

Does anyone know if a similar tutorial is online in english?

I followed parts of different ones and I cannot relink my clips from the XML to round trip properly. Can't figure out the steps im missing from the other tutorials, but if this one follows the process 100% its exactly what im looking for... though I don't speak french.

Northernlight

Quote from: danielschweinert on August 03, 2013, 09:58:31 PM
Hi Hunter,

Best Regards
Daniel

This just shows, again, that for those who do NOT want to compromise on image quality (which should be the major point with RAW video anyway), there really is no other option than ACR. The debayering/demosaicing and handling of shadows and highlights done by ACR is simply unmatched, as of today. No realtime RAW adjustments when using ACR, well, so be it, I will not accept that poor quality from Resolve. I certainly see the benefits of Resolve, but until quality from Resolve is equally good as ACR I will stay with ACR.