Fake_HDR shot with RAW

Started by mohanohi, July 29, 2013, 10:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mohanohi

Shot with ML RAW for an feature film, mark3 body and processed. What you guys think?

DOP, Editor, DIT, PL 5D, Ultra primes, Kowa lens

robbierob2005

spider

Yes, it works really well with ML RAW

iaremrsir

Would someone mind explaining the benefit of fake HDR since you already have all of the dynamic range you're going to get in the raw file to begin with?

Quote from: mohanohi on July 29, 2013, 10:36:52 AM
Shot with ML RAW for an feature film, mark3 body and processed. What you guys think?

It looks like there's a white halo on the bottom of his shoe. Try working from a log curve or http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7022 so it looks natural.

mohanohi

Quote from: iaremrsir on July 31, 2013, 09:46:41 AM
Would someone mind explaining the benefit of fake HDR since you already have all of the dynamic range you're going to get in the raw file to begin with?

It looks like there's a white halo on the bottom of his shoe. Try working from a log curve or http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7022 so it looks natural.

Fake HDR (or it better be called as a look/feel) is an aesthetic choice for me. I don't care about dynamic range or stuff. But because of raw i can produce this type of result. Its all about story telling needs imo. Halo is an artifact of faking an hdr which i buy it. It doesn't bother me. If it does bother me on my 24 feet screen then i will look into it. This is a test of some movie and i was not very careful while processing this.

Yomommassis

Quote from: mohanohi on July 29, 2013, 10:36:52 AM

Personally I am 110% not a fan of the HDR look
The way I see it whats the point of using a 5D Mark III with RAW video if you are not going to utilize the dynamic range?

the blown out sky and halo make it look like h.264 shot in Standard, not exposed for the sky, and with detail turned up
personally
but I understand it is an artistic choice to tell your story in such a..stylized way
EOS 5D MkIII (ML alpha 3)| EOS 5D MkII (ML v2.3) | EOS 7D (ML alpha 2) | EOS T2i (ML v2.3)
f/2.8 70-200MM L USM | f/1.4 50mm USM | f/1.4 35mm L USM | T/1.5 24mm
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

iaremrsir

Quote from: mohanohi on July 31, 2013, 08:12:12 PM
Fake HDR (or it better be called as a look/feel) is an aesthetic choice for me. I don't care about dynamic range or stuff. But because of raw i can produce this type of result. Its all about story telling needs imo. Halo is an artifact of faking an hdr which i buy it. It doesn't bother me. If it does bother me on my 24 feet screen then i will look into it. This is a test of some movie and i was not very careful while processing this.

My apologies. I thought you were doing this to try and get the most latitude out of the file, I hadn't realized you were doing it as an artistic choice.

mohanohi

Quote from: Yomommassis on August 01, 2013, 10:02:55 AM
Personally I am 110% not a fan of the HDR look
The way I see it whats the point of using a 5D Mark III with RAW video if you are not going to utilize the dynamic range?

the blown out sky and halo make it look like h.264 shot in Standard, not exposed for the sky, and with detail turned up
personally
but I understand it is an artistic choice to tell your story in such a..stylized way

You need to read the entire thread before replying. What am i going to do while utilizing the dynamic range? Do i need everything to be exposed? No! Its subjective. I don't want an scene to be perfectly exposed where there is an negative emotions going on. I need blown out, harsh look. The main advantage of shooting RAW as an cinematographer for me is the sharpness i am gaining. You won't get this sharp with h.264 shot in standard. If you as an cinematographer want the sky to be in expose it isn't that difficult to bring out the same shot in RAW developing prog. I would just slide the exposure down and mix it up with HDR.

mohanohi

Quote from: spider on July 29, 2013, 11:37:00 PM
Yes, it works really well with ML RAW

There is some nasty pink cast in your footage. Use Raw2cdng software and output to 16 bit linear. And don't use Adobe AE, or any of the Grading suite to directly import dng. These software lack control over the DNG and their debayer algorithm is bad.

CFP

Quote from: mohanohi on August 02, 2013, 05:32:04 PMThese software lack control over the DNG and their debayer algorithm is bad.
Since the DNG format was created by Adobe I thought that Adobe software should handle DNGs very well. And from my experience ACR has a great debayering algorithm. So I'm curious: Which software do you recommend? ???

mohanohi

Quote from: CFP on August 02, 2013, 06:08:40 PM
Since the DNG format was created by Adobe I thought that Adobe software should handle DNGs very well. And from my experience ACR has a great debayering algorithm. So I'm curious: Which software do you recommend? ???

photivo
Total control over a raw file.

If you aren't going to release your movie in theaters then Adobe is enough.