Fake udma 7 16gig compact flash sandisk from ebay??

Started by ariel26, July 29, 2013, 01:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ariel26

Or is it related to the raw settings in the ML menu??

from Some reason, the recording stops after 3 Seconds. I suspect this is a fake card because it looks different then the original card that show on the box. Instead of red it's written in orange!
Corners of the sticker is not rounded like the original picture on the cover!
it has Sharper corners like the picture!
in some parts the White print data is not sharp, it is a bit blurry!
http://www.pbase.com/havaya_yehudit/image/151562991

1) What do you say? If this is a real card what can be the reason why the recording stops after 3 Seconds?
http://www.pbase.com/havaya_yehudit/image/151562992

2) How can I test whether this memory card speed is really 90mb/s?

by the way this is the Seller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261227930718?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Walter Schulz

ariel26

ariel26

i am not sure if i use this progrem correctly And certainly not understand what the results mean!...?

100mb
http://upload.pbase.com/havaya_yehudit/image/151570334/large

Is this card fake?

mageye

The data bus could restrict the real speed of your card. What I mean by this is that USB 2.0 maximum transfer speed is 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s)

So with any USB 2.0 device you are not going to get faster than that. Also the actual device/interface you are using (card reader) may also have its own limit (this can be variable too).

For example I just benchmarked my Komputerbay 32GB 1000x CF UDMA7 on my computer through an unbranded CF reader and got a result of 15.9 MB/s Write and 19.9 MB/s Read.

I know that the card is considerably faster than that!

So in this instance it is my crappy unbranded card reader that is failing me and limiting my read/write speed.

I know this is not correct because when I am recording RAW on the camera it can write up to 78.5 MB/s (or something close to that ;))

Your result however does seem particularly low :(. I do suspect that your card will fall well short of the expected result. It doesn't look good unfortunately :(

I would suggest doing a benchmark on the camera because your camera will be more able to access the speed that your card has (if it has any at all :()

Either run the benchmark or try recording RAW in the highest resolution it will let you have and it should tell you the speed when its recording (that's if you have the latest raw record build ;))

Anyway good Luck. I think you will need it ;)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

ariel26

i don't now what you mean by saying "benchmark"? can you explain??
+
I dont now if you notice but i did say I bought the card for recoreding raw but  I was not able to record raw - it stopped after 3 second!

That's why I also suspect a fake card!
http://www.pbase.com/havaya_yehudit/image/151562992

http://www.pbase.com/havaya_yehudit/image/151562991/original

mageye

Yes looking at the little piccy you posted it doesn't seem to want to go into a higher resolution. Also if it doesn't last too long on the recording that's a sign. It will not be able to buffer obviously if it's not fast enough.

On my much slower card 'Duracell 600x 16GB CF' it will only record very short amount of RAW video. Also it takes some considerable time after the shot to write the files. That card is slow indeed.

I hate to say it but I think you do have at the very least a faulty card :( or just a fake >:(. Not good :(.

NOTE: The benchmark can be found under (Magic Lantern menu) Debug > Benchmarks (Click SET)

(after the camera has completed the benchmark there should be a file called TEST.BMP written to the root of your card. this is a screen grab of the test results and this is what people are using to post their benchmark results ;))
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

ariel26

I understand that you use these cards.
http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-Professional-COMPACT-FLASH-Extreme/dp/B009JS61MK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375164768&sr=8-1&keywords=komputerbay+32gb

1)  Are these cards (150mb / s) really faster then the cards of sundisk (only 90)?
http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/compactflash/extremepro/?capacity=32GB

2) Are they safe as SanDisk's cards? - Do you trust them for Wedding Photography? Why do they cost half price?
Do they really give 150mb / s?

3) from the Most  safe cards (also for wedding!?) that there is today, wich 16 or 32 card is most recommended for raw video in full Resolution?

4) What is the weight of each minute film video at raw in full Resolution? Do you think it is Possible to manage with 16 GB card for filming a short films/Video Clip (in raw full Resolution) Or it is must  at least 32?

In fact I'm trying to figure out which of the safest  and the fastest cards out there, is the most recommended filming raw (in full Resolution) video and still photography  - as a wedding?

Thank you for sharing and help  :)

mageye

OK I will try to be fair with my answer to your questions here. Remember these are just my thoughts and opinions. I am not an expert on this.

First of all I can only speak from experience of the KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x CF. I have never used the Sandisk cards :(.

I can only inform you from my experience and what I have read regarding these cards. Also I only used this card in the 5DMKII so I can only talk about how it performs in this camera.

1) The 'data bus' inside the camera is the limiting factor for how much speed you will get from a card. Read/write speeds will be advertised as higher than you will actually get because it will be capped by the hardware limit.

At the moment (I think) the maximum speed I seem to be able to get is around 79.0 MB/s

So if you bought a Sandisk it would probably be the same (because of the hardware limit). I suspect this, but can't confirm this, because I have not used the Sandisk cards.

I will note that the recording speed can be 'variable' on the Komputerbay cards. What I mean by this is that one recording may only enable something like 250 frames at a resolution of 1880x1058. However it is more 'normal' to expect around 1151 frames (around 48 seconds). This can vary all the way up to nearly a minute at that resolution. At that resolution it is not stable enough yet to break the 1 minute barrier (I think).

2) As for 'safety', because of what I have mentioned above; I would say they are not fully reliable but you can just about work with it. I am not so sure if I would want to be in a wedding situation where you would want to know that you are guaranteed a set duration of recording? :-\.

I would say these cards (Komputerbay) are fine if you are making a film/video where you can do several takes. I wouldn't trust it to be able to get the take every time. I would find it a very interesting challenge (but not a comfortable one) to film a wedding with this card.

What I have established (I may be wrong here?) is that the Sandisk cards are less 'variable' and more 'reliable' in the respect of 'constant' performance.

There has been much debate about why the Komputerbay cards are so much cheaper? One thing that is rumoured is that they are actually 'seconds' or 'rejects' that have not passed quality control tests(?). This is purely speculative but it wouldn't entirely surprise me and would go some way to explain why the performance is so variable.

I can only speak for the card that I have; but I would say variability is the word when it comes to Komputerbay and performance.

3) The performance can even be variable between the different cards and card capacities (the 128GB cards have had some bad reports). From what I have read, and experienced; I am lead to believe that the 32GB and the 64GB Komputerbay cards are the most reliable. (Please anyone correct me if I am wrong on this?)

4) OK I can't work out the figures for exactly one minute because, at full resolution, I can't record for that long. I can say however, that, 47 seconds, at a resolution of 1880 × 1058, is 1127 frames, which has a file size of 3.92GB (I can get 'continuous' recording at slightly lower resolutions).

My experience of recording RAW is that it eats space pretty quickly. A 16GB card is totally out of the question (seriously). I would suggest that you get as many cards as you can afford. I would say (for me) a couple of 64GB cards (but even better 4 ;)) would be perfect.

I must emphasise that the card fills up pretty damn quickly with RAW. It is one of the caveats of RAW. Unfortunately. For me the benefits (in terms of dynamics and pure retention of quality) of RAW far outweigh any of the negatives.

So to summarise (in my opinion of course ;)). I would say if you want 'reliability' then maybe you should consider the Sandisk Extreme Pro. Forget about the maximum speeds because the cameras are not capable of reaching the maximum speeds that the cards can deliver.

If you are willing, and have the time to do a number of takes for a shot, then the Komputerbay cards are certainly a good starting point ;). I will say that it's the variability of performance on the Komputerbay cards that is the main issue. Unfortunately. I will say that I am 'happy' with mine with all of its shortfalls.

I wish you luck and hope that helps some. ;) :)

noix222

im using Komputerbay Cards 64gb with no problem recording full hd in both mark 2 and 3! i guess its the most reliable card out there! You can't go wrong with that one. NOTE : THE 64gb KOMPUTERBAY seems to be faster than the 32gb or 128gb ;)

i hope you get it done mate!

ariel26

Thank you for all the information! :)

I contacted the seller and told him the card he sent me is fake. And even offered to replace the card with a new one. He did not even answer me, he immediately gave me the money! Which proves that he was a crook!