[WONTFIX] Magic Lantern for Nikon?

Started by sarfios, July 28, 2013, 12:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarfios

Hello couldn't find that one on the FAQ,

So... will this be ever possible? Is there plans? I would love anything about this subject.

I love using the canon cameras, but will this amazing hack possible for Nikon someday too?

Best wishes

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

sarfios

Thanks a lot for the reply, that's what I wanted to hear.

It would be awesome, to happen one day, even if there's not full hack, just particle, included most important things like raw video, it would be awesome.

Critical Point

I wonder...what are the SD speed limits on some Nikon models, like 5200D, 3200D...what if they stand better regarding the SD Controller ?
600D & GH2 / PC.

sarfios

mageye

From a technical point of view ...

As we all know there are little men inside the camera's that do little jobs and they are very busy. The little Canon men are very busy and loyal and organised and very clever. They can also be manipulated for good because in essence they are good little men.

In a Nikon this is not so because the little men are bad. They are lazy and don't like being manipulated like our friendly Canon men do.

So unfortunately I will conclude that this will never be possible. That's a FACT
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

sarfios

@mageye,

I've never been so sure about something in my life, than that you don't get a lot of girls...

Thanks for all comments, I got all the information I need.

mageye

Who needs girls when you have RAW ;)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

g3gg0

Quote from: mageye on July 28, 2013, 03:04:42 AM
From a technical point of view ...
I will conclude that this will never be possible. That's a FACT

Sorry thats either sarcasm or totally wrong.
Technically it is possible. Newer models have a more convinient arm processor.
Its just about how to patch the firmware to load custom firmware from memory card.

So i dont see any technical no-go, just some difficulties.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

mageye

Quote from: g3gg0 on July 28, 2013, 11:50:12 AM
Sorry thats either sarcasm or totally wrong.

So you do agree that there are little men in our cameras then. That's good ;D

g3gg0

no, sorry. it was my garbage collector that filtered out that passage ;)

Critical Point

I wonder, just how much money would Canon pay to you guys not to develop ML for Nikon ? :D
600D & GH2 / PC.

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

sarfios

Thanks to everybody for the comments,

Let's say one day there will be magic lantern, for Nikon. With the expeed 2 cpu will there be possible to get let's say 1080p RAW Video for at least 5-6 seconds?

That's a really noobish question, but I guess someone familiar with the hardware, can figure out some numbers on theory.

g3gg0

errr, its not possible to answer that....

arrinkiiii

sarfios

Have you ever considered to start a kickstarter project? I beleive there's big chances to get founds for coders.

SDX

Not even having an rough idea about the dimension wouldn't help right there. We could talk about anything from 500 to 10k work hours involved (in fact even infinity if impossible).

Rather consider to donate to the nikonhacker project and hope the best. Or, even better: contribute to their project by helping!

Marsu42

Quote from: SDX on August 11, 2013, 07:20:13 PM
Not even having an rough idea about the dimension wouldn't help right there. We could talk about anything from 500 to 10k work hours involved (in fact even infinity if impossible).

I don't think anything like ml will make it to Nikon considering the work involved, that's why I stay with Canon, it's a pity Canon doesn't want to ack the advantage their system has with ml in public and give some help coding it, saving lots of dumb reverse engineering time :-\

ilguercio

I am pretty sure ML goes against Canon's marketing vision but we're lucky because, as far as i understand, there is nothing they can do to stop it.
The way i look at the whole thing is that ML might not make any difference for first buyers or professional users(not sure about the second one anymore) but it makes a hell of a difference to enthusiasts and power users. I guess some people have not switched to Nikon once they saw what ML(and therefore their Canon DSLRs)were capable of. So, in a way, ML has helped Canon to sell more products and has convinced people not to switch to other brands as much as possible.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Marsu42

Quote from: ilguercio on August 16, 2013, 07:04:33 AM
I am pretty sure ML goes against Canon's marketing vision but we're lucky because, as far as i understand, there is nothing they can do to stop it.

Ugh? I'm not that much into hacking the boot process, but it seems to me if Canon would want to disabled 3rd party fw loading they could prevent it or at least make it much, much, much more difficult with any/real protection. The fact that even the newest cameras are easily modified to load ml imho proves that Canon has no problem with it as long as they aren't associated with ml or have to do bug support?

Critical Point

Quote from: Marsu42 on August 16, 2013, 04:37:14 PM
Ugh? I'm not that much into hacking the boot process, but it seems to me if Canon would want to disabled 3rd party fw loading they could prevent it or at least make it much, much, much more difficult with any/real protection. The fact that even the newest cameras are easily modified to load ml imho proves that Canon has no problem with it as long as they aren't associated with ml or have to do bug support?

I believe you're right, I don't think Canon's management team is stupid, I think they are aware of the fact that when a camera gets supported by ML the sales on that model skyrockets.
600D & GH2 / PC.