Free User Guide for 5D3 - Need Some Help

Started by stephenmick, July 26, 2013, 01:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenmick

Glad you like it, and thanks for the kind words!

Just remember that this is a work in progress, and if you see something that needs tweaking, let me know. If you want to help create a section on another topic, let me know. The idea is that like ML's work, this is a resource for all of us to share, use, and improve over time.

Mei Lewis

Nice looking guide.

Some of the language is ambiguous, for example:

"To make your life easier, you can use software to create a bootflag that will allow the
Magic Lantern firmware to auto-load when you restart your camera. "

That implies you don't HAVE to do this, but doesn't make it clear. Does the installation still work if you choose not to make the cards bootable? - should say that in the guide.

Mei Lewis

Another ambiguity:

"3. Make your Compact Flash and/or SD cards "bootable" by
using one of the pieces of software below. "

Which one should I make bootable, the Compact Flash or the SD or both? Do I get exactly the same results in any case?
That sentence suggests it would be okay to make the CF card bootable, but not the SD card where Magic Lantern is stored. That can't be right can it?

Mei Lewis

And the instructions in the guide simply don't work for me. Specifically

"5. In the appropriate Canon sub-menu, select "firmware
update."
6. Once the process is completed, power down and restart
your camera. You should see a quick internal "check" of the
internal memory cards run by the ML firmware."

When I power down and restart my camera the Ml firmware is gone. If I try to access it without powering down, the trash button does nothing, but ML is listed as the current firmware under the firmware update option.

Strangely enough the SET button is disabled too.

Mei Lewis

Sorry if that all sounds a bit negative, it's not meant to be. It's a great idea to make this user guide and it looks great. I'd just like it to be as simple and clear as possible. If you want me to make a video of the way in which it fails I can.

stephenmick

It depends on what camera you're using. On the 5DIII, you can use either the CF or SD card. On the 5DII, you don't have a choice.

This Guide was written largely with the 5DIII in mind, but we wanted to make it as "open" to other model cameras as possible.

Quote from: Mei Lewis on August 18, 2013, 02:03:10 PM
Another ambiguity:

"3. Make your Compact Flash and/or SD cards "bootable" by
using one of the pieces of software below. "

Which one should I make bootable, the Compact Flash or the SD or both? Do I get exactly the same results in any case?
That sentence suggests it would be okay to make the CF card bootable, but not the SD card where Magic Lantern is stored. That can't be right can it?

stephenmick

Which model camera are you using? What's your current Canon firmware version?

Quote from: Mei Lewis on August 18, 2013, 02:15:33 PM
And the instructions in the guide simply don't work for me. Specifically

"5. In the appropriate Canon sub-menu, select "firmware
update."
6. Once the process is completed, power down and restart
your camera. You should see a quick internal "check" of the
internal memory cards run by the ML firmware."

When I power down and restart my camera the Ml firmware is gone. If I try to access it without powering down, the trash button does nothing, but ML is listed as the current firmware under the firmware update option.

Strangely enough the SET button is disabled too.