Free User Guide for 5D3 - Need Some Help

Started by stephenmick, July 26, 2013, 01:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenmick

Hey, guys! Some of you probably know me from over at 'User. I'm putting together a free User's Guide for ML RAW on the 5D3, and I was hoping maybe one or two of you might be able to look over my draft for accuracy. If you're interested, just shoot me an email and I'll send over what I've got.

Again, this is something that we'll be providing as a free resource for people looking to get started with ML RAW, and I'm hoping you guys can help me make it better.

Cheers!

SM

stephenmick

Anyone who wants to take a look can download the first three sections here...

http://www.dvxuser.com/guides/ml_raw_guide_5DIII_full.pdf

I'm still working on a section of advanced topics and a section about workflow/post.

EDIT:  Just replaced the previous file with a new file (same link) with some tweaks and changes.

SM

nigel

stephenmick

Hey, thanks Nigel! If you see anything that needs to be tweaked/adjusted, just let me know.

I'm working on the workflow section now.

SM

nigel

I'm sorry I'm not of much help. But I'm learning alot from your guide.

stephenmick

That's great, Nigel! I should have an updated file posted later in the week with complete workflow breakdowns.

Cheers!

SM

pinger007

Looks good.  It's an enjoyable read and should help a lot of people.  Nice to see someone helping out instead of trying to make money off of the hard work of magic lantern.   ;D
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

stephenmick

Thanks for the kind words! If you see anything that needs tweaking let me know.

The workflow section is becoming a bit of a beast, so I may not have that posted until later this week, so check the Canon FF forum at DVX for updates on the Guide. I'll also post a note here when an updated file is available.

SM

ShootingStars

My god, a wonderful and beautiful guide. I learned some new things! Cannot wait to see the workflow section. BTW do you what the numbers mean on the histogram? Like 0.6, -0.8, etc. I know it's for ETTR but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with those numbers. :(

I'd love to hear your suggestion on proxies/XML/most optimal workflow.

stephenmick

;D

Glad you like it!

As far as workflow goes, I think it just depends on what you're comfortable with. If you have more of a still photography background, then going from RAW2DNG (or similar) to Lightroom for processing, then into the editor of your choice, is one way to go.

Personally, the workflow I use and recommend, is to go from RAW2DNG/RAWMagic directly into Resolve, make your baseline/LUT corrections, then export clips and XML for editing. Obviously there's more to it than that, and it really depends on how well you know Resolve, but it's free, and it's the industry standard, so learning how to use it has definite benefits.

Oh, and if I'm reading your question correctly, the numbers you see are exposure "hints," telling you how far off from "correct" exposure the system thinks you are. You can turn off the "hints" in the ML menu system, if you don't want them.

Cheers!

SM

Quote from: ShootingStars on July 30, 2013, 05:18:09 AM
My god, a wonderful and beautiful guide. I learned some new things! Cannot wait to see the workflow section. BTW do you what the numbers mean on the histogram? Like 0.6, -0.8, etc. I know it's for ETTR but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with those numbers. :(

I'd love to hear your suggestion on proxies/XML/most optimal workflow.

stephenmick

I've just posted an updated PDF (same link above) that includes a quick-start guide for the 5D2, as well as a complete step-by-step install guide for the 5D2.

Sorry for the delay on the workflow section. It's taking longer than originally anticipated. :D

ouuzi

We are waiting for your awesome pdf guide!!!!So far it looks top notch.Thanks a lot for your effort m8.

stephenmick

Thanks again for the kind words, guys!

The workflow stuff is taking so much longer, simply because there are a lot of images to capture. So please, bear with me.

But in the meantime, there's (hopefully) a lot of good info in the current PDF (linked above) to get you started.

SM

ShootingStars

stephenmick

I'm hoping to have it posted by Monday. (Full disclosure...I'm on vacation right now, and I've checked out of all things video for the next few days. :D)

budafilms

Excelent Work! Better than any Canon Manual!

I thinks the FPS Override is not clear - as always here in the forum. (Sorry)
Like ETTR or the post processing of DUAL ISO - work in ACR one frame, apply the same to the other, with out flickering.
Export to Pro Res, wich Pro Res.

I'm not sure of this, but I think the major people here - and in video - are working on Mac or going to work on Mac - or Hackintosh. I'm not sure. Some software like ACR is the same for both, but not DaVinci or Final Cut X as you know.

Very good work! Very clean and optimist!

ShootingStars

Quote from: budafilms on August 12, 2013, 06:29:24 AM
Excelent Work! Better than any Canon Manual!

I thinks the FPS Override is not clear - as always here in the forum. (Sorry)
Like ETTR or the post processing of DUAL ISO - work in ACR one frame, apply the same to the other, with out flickering.
Export to Pro Res, wich Pro Res.

I'm not sure of this, but I think the major people here - and in video - are working on Mac or going to work on Mac - or Hackintosh. I'm not sure. Some software like ACR is the same for both, but not DaVinci or Final Cut X as you know.

Very good work! Very clean and optimist!
I'm on PC.

stephenmick

Sorry for the delay, but the new version of the Guide should be posted by Friday.

Mei Lewis

Quote from: budafilms on August 12, 2013, 06:29:24 AM

From my experience, a higher proportion of video people use macs than the general population, but there are still probably more people on PC doing video stuff.

stephenmick

I've updated the guide with the new workflow section. (The same link above should still work.)

The workflow guide focuses mainly on Resolve, but also has information about initial processing, Adobe Lightroom, and a few other bits and pieces. Enjoy!

dcac

Hi I was looking for something just like this and so far the guide is awesome :) thanks for your time and effort! I was wondering though the update can't be seen from the link you posted earlier. Or am I not seeing it? When I last checked a week ago it was 54 pages and it's still the same. If you could kindly update the link I'd appreciate it. Thanks again. Cheers.

stephenmick

Hey! I just checked the link and the new Guide is showing up properly for me. Not sure what's going on with your browser. The way to tell if it's updated is to check the version and date on page one. When I download the file, it shows the correct info, which is...

Version 2.0.1
Date 8.16.13

Cheers!

dcac

oferlevy

Thank you Stephen it looks fantastic!
I am new to this business and your work is just what I needed.
Well done!
Cheers,
Ofer