Someone here using a 128gig CF card on a 5dmkII with success?

Started by ted ramasola, July 25, 2013, 01:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Since my initial tests on komputerbay 128 gig card 1000x and 1050x is indicating problems with ML and .FIR files,

is anyone here using 128 cards of other brands NOT komputerBay with success on the 5DmkII ?

or perhaps of a lower speed?

Also here is a link to a thread i started on tests I'm doing on the komputerbay 128gig 1000x and 1050x.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7302.msg61604#msg61604
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

ted ramasola

I've emailed two persons who say they are using 128gig 1000x komputerbay with the mkII and they posted videos on youtube to show their tests.

And since we in the U.S. can't seem to make the 1000x and 1050x 128gig cards work on the mkII I was wondering if those cameras they were using were manufatured "differently" ?

I mean before, traditional video cameras for different parts/regions of the world had different specs due to technical/broadcast scpeca and sometimes due to economic/taxation requirement.  Just curious since our tests can't let us run ML on 128 cards here in US.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 29, 2013, 10:04:31 PM
I've emailed two persons who say they are using 128gig 1000x komputerbay with the mkII and they posted videos on youtube to show their tests.

And since we in the U.S. can't seem to make the 1000x and 1050x 128gig cards work on the mkII I was wondering if those cameras they were using were manufatured "differently" ?

I mean before, traditional video cameras for different parts/regions of the world had different specs due to technical/broadcast scpeca and sometimes due to economic/taxation requirement.  Just curious since our tests can't let us run ML on 128 cards here in US.

The devs just need to find a way around booting ML with cards of 128GB on the 5D2. They might have already tried though.

tronics

You could probably partition the card differently then the camera thinks it is a 64GB.
That way you could also select the part of the card that performs best. Big disadvantage (if it works at all) is for sure that you do not benefit from the size of the card.

ted ramasola

Quote from: tronics on July 30, 2013, 03:16:47 PM
You could probably partition the card differently then the camera thinks it is a 64GB.
That way you could also select the part of the card that performs best. Big disadvantage (if it works at all) is for sure that you do not benefit from the size of the card.

we already tried it. at different sizes, using easeUS partition master v. 6.2.2 then format at fat32, as low as 20gig, 32gig and 64. still wont work. The thing is, the camera still knows its 128. when we tested to format it when it was a lower size, the camera format returned it back to 128gig, totally disregarding the partition we made.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

tronics

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 30, 2013, 04:03:55 PM
we already tried it. at different sizes, using easeUS partition master v. 6.2.2 then format at fat32, as low as 20gig, 32gig and 64. still wont work. The thing is, the camera still knows its 128. when we tested to format it when it was a lower size, the camera format returned it back to 128gig, totally disregarding the partition we made.
That's a pitty. Ok but Komputerbay seems to be friendly.. you could try to get an exchange with 2x 64GB 1000x with handing over a little extra money.
Seems to be the savest bet. Speed is limited in the mkII anyways - so 1000x or 1050x makes no difference.