5D mkII and KomputerBay 128gig CF cards 1000x and 1050X

Started by ted ramasola, July 25, 2013, 01:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

5D mkII users ONLY please.

I am starting this thread to post test results on the compatibility of ML firmware and the high capacity 128 gig CF cards.

I am currently testing cards sent by KomputerBay techsupport to see issues and solutions on their 128 gig cards on 5dmkII.

Both are UDMA7 128.

one is version2 1000X
other is 1050X

Those who have these cards and are using it on 5D mkII can also share their experience on this thread, hopefully KB techsupport will also chime in and note our findings.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

ted ramasola

INITIAL RESULTS

Using the 128 gig 1000x on 5DmkII and 7D

The CF card works normally under NORMAL canon firmware.
You can shoot stills and shoot h264 mov files with no problem.

Using the card to update canon firmware and ML firmware.

The camera will not detect any firmware on the card.

Tested loading canon v2.1.2 firmware,

the message appears:

update file cannot be found.
please check the memory card
and reload the battery and try again.

Tested loading ML unified 2.3 and same message appears.

Tested loading alpha for 7D and tried it on 7D camera, same message appears.

Tried making the CF card bootable using EOScard

ML is not loaded, checking canon menu shows firmware stays as 2.1.2.

Duplicated same tests on older cards and results are successful.

Testing the 1050X card has the same result.

The camera will not detect .FIR files on it. So firmware update cannot be done with the card.

using EOScard also does not work with 1050X card. It will not boot up with ML.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

dude

That s great News!
Hopefully some if them will be aviable soon

djfremen

Cool. Let's hope we don't have to send our cards back. I'm still coming up empty on unified builds for the 50D.

Update firmware, installing ML, will never work with anything over 64GB  I'm told. So rather than attempting that, we both should focus on why these cards aren't allowing themselves to be boot flagged.

ted ramasola

Quote from: djfremen on July 25, 2013, 01:37:08 AM
Cool. Let's hope we don't have to send our cards back. I'm still coming up empty on unified builds for the 50D.

Update firmware, installing ML, will never work with anything over 64GB  I'm told. So rather than attempting that, we both should focus on why these cards aren't allowing themselves to be boot flagged.

started another thread here asking if anyone has any success with 128 cards of other brands on the 5D2 .

Is the 64gig problem limited to the 5D2?

Are other brands of 128gig working on the 5D2 ?

Do lower speeds of 128 gig work on the 5D2 ?

These are also things I want to know.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

djfremen

Yes.

Update firmware / install won't work with these big cards. You have to copy the install from another card then boot flag the KB card.

Also, many people have had success on both the 50D and MKII using the above method. I think something's up with the memory allocation. Hopefully someone can chime in.

ted ramasola

Quote from: djfremen on July 25, 2013, 01:44:25 AM
Yes.

Update firmware / install won't work with these big cards. You have to copy the install from another card then boot flag the KB card.

bootflag, is that what the EOScard app does? Making it bootable without inserting it to the camera?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: djfremen on July 25, 2013, 01:44:25 AM
Yes.

Also, many people have had success on both the 50D and MKII using the above method. I think something's up with the memory allocation. Hopefully someone can chime in.

I second this, in the FAQ or user manual it says that it you can only use cards below 64GB.

I wanna test, I might get a 128GB, I wish I could swap my 32GB and financially compensate the vendor for a 128GB... I only get 5 min of footage!!!

ted ramasola

Quote from: dude on July 25, 2013, 01:15:09 AM
That s great News!
Hopefully some if them will be aviable soon

they are available already. The problem is, will it work on your 5DmkII ?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

To be clear both 1000x and 1050x 128gig KB cards work on the 5dmkII running canon firmware.
It can store stills and mov h264 videos.

It CANT be used to update firmware, either from CANON or Magic Lantern.

5D2 cant read .FIR or the Autoexec .BIN files on the card even if using EOSCARD utility.

So These cards CAN'T BE USED FOR MAGIC LANTERN.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 25, 2013, 05:47:23 AM
To be clear both 1000x and 1050x 128gig KB cards work on the 5dmkII running canon firmware.
It can store stills and mov h264 videos.

It CANT be used to update firmware, either from CANON or Magic Lantern.

5D2 cant read .FIR or the Autoexec .BIN files on the card even if using EOSCARD utility.

So These cards CAN'T BE USED FOR MAGIC LANTERN.

So the 128GB cards only work on the newer cameras?

ted ramasola

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 25, 2013, 06:00:23 AM
So the 128GB cards only work on the newer cameras?

On the 5D mkIII , yes.

On my tests on the 5DmkII , I will not put a closure on it yet.

Tomorrow I will again be in touch with KB techsupport to see
if they still can do some workaround. If not then 64gig would be the max size for the 5D mkII.

I'm waiting for anyone here using 128 gig from another brand to chime in if they got it to work.

5D mkII + 128 CF card (any brand ) + Magic Lantern.

Anyone?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on July 25, 2013, 06:07:16 AM
Did you try formatting it as FAT32?

http://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/how-can-i-format-a-128gb-usb-stick-to-fat32/3934/2

Its already FAT32 after format in camera, I checked also in PC "My computer", properties say its FAT32.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

will there be a difference if I format it on my PC as opposed to in-camera?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

If you use a DOS prompt (command.com, not cmd.exe) and list the files, do you see AUTOEXEC.BIN?

Or, in cmd.exe, try dir /x (it should show AUTOEXEC.BIN, but it should not show long file names).

Does the camera boot when the card is bootable?

Yes, there is difference if you format the card on PC. Maybe cluster size or other stuff like that could make a difference (even creating a smaller partition is worth trying).

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on July 25, 2013, 06:15:51 AM
If you use a DOS prompt (command.com, not cmd.exe) and list the files, do you see AUTOEXEC.BIN?

Or, in cmd.exe, try dir /x (it should show AUTOEXEC.BIN, but it should not show long file names).

Does the camera boot when the card is bootable?

Yes, there is difference if you format the card on PC. Maybe cluster size or other stuff like that could make a difference (even creating a smaller partition is worth trying).

Using cmd prompt and using dir command I can see the contents and  AUTOEXEC.BIN

Even when the card is bootable using EOScard, upon bootup, camera functions using Canon firmware.

Card functions normally, but not with ML. Also if i place CANON FIRMWARE on the card, the camera cannot see it.

Using lower capacity cards the camera can see it.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

Looks OK. Not sure what else to try, so just play with partitions, cluster size and stuff like that.

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on July 25, 2013, 06:56:13 AM
Looks OK. Not sure what else to try, so just play with partitions, cluster size and stuff like that.

any PC based apps you suggest I could use to format this card with? Win7 only gives exfat and ntfs options.

could i use disk manager to alter the partitions? but what could I use to format that in fat32
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex