Son of Batch - OS X App for batchprocessing RAW Files

Started by derkiki, July 23, 2013, 05:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derkiki

Quote from: jonny2graham on August 07, 2013, 03:18:26 PM
When downloading a batch of files from one particular folder it pauses during the conversion of each and throws up this error:

http://grab.by/p980

When I click ok it returns to the conversion and then throws the same error up for each .RAW from that file.
Does anyone know what this error means? Is it corrupting/skipping frames on those .RAWs?

No, it's a display error only. The conversion should be ok.

jc

really want to try this new version.. sounds amazing!!

but.. the link http://tshit.de/Son_of_Batch_OSX-68.zip is broken as the site appears to be down? too much bandwidth from the downloads?

also do you think doing some of the conversions in parallel would speed up the conversion? when running raw2dng i run multiple copies and it seems to speed up the process ( possibly due to the multi core, or possibly because one is reading files with low cpu overhead whilst another is generating prores with low disk activity and high cpu )

keep up the great work!! J

derkiki

Thanks for your interest! Please try this link. I'll look into the multithread when I have time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kluyerg59f2c01f/Son%20of%20Batch.zip

jc

Hi derkiki

This app looks amazing so thanks, il try that new link now!

Ok great .. Parallel processing would be amazing! James

Quote from: derkiki on August 09, 2013, 05:33:38 PM
Thanks for your interest! Please try this link. I'll look into the multithread when I have time.

jc

Quote from: derkiki on August 09, 2013, 05:33:38 PM

Hi Derkiki, thanks for that link!

ok the app is quite good! defiantly showing promise!

a few errors:
1) If not logged in as administrator it says something about NillError exception, the previous one did not do this for non-admin accounts!
2) sometimes when you click a raw it says "Picture Problem" .. you have to click the same file a few times to see a preview
3) its amazing that it accepts a DNG folder, not just raw files, but when i tried one and set it to 25fps it seemed to be as if i had chosen 5 fps.. it played back at the normal rate but it was soo sllooowww .. this this a bug?

& a few suggestions:
1) the ability to see the frames is amazing, could it have a play button that would drop say 4 out of 5 frames and let you see a playback? that would be amazing
2) it took me a while to work out how to go "up a directory" once i had entered one in the file browser ( clicking the path above incase someone else wondered ) could this be given the usual ".." at the top to go up one? also i would love it if you could drag a folder into the app and it would show that one for imports!
3) any sort of basic grade options would be amazing.. even if it was a "brighten up one or two stops" or "darken up one or two stops" option..
and yes, multi processing would be amazing!! for some would make conversions up to 8 times faster! ( at the moment i am running 8 version of the same app to get the speed up with 8 queue's -- one per app obv )

amazing app .. can see this being the default one quite soon! James

derkiki

Great suggestions and thanks for your praise. I haven't got any time to work on it right now but will look into it.
The dng sequences don't play in realtime right now but you can scrub them pretty quickly.

jc

ok that sounds amazing! the additions so far should save me time in my workflow already! also any chance it would be put-up on github etc..? if so i could contribute a few changes myself :-) James

jc

Quote from: jc on August 12, 2013, 06:51:08 PM
ok that sounds amazing! the additions so far should save me time in my workflow already! also any chance it would be put-up on github etc..? if so i could contribute a few changes myself :-) James

i reckon that the app that goes Open for converting magic lantern RAW / MLV files will become the most popular and developed! :-) J

derkiki

Hi jc,
I use realbasic and modify raw2dng etc., so, not sure if you can work with that. I'd also have to clean up my messy code a little.

jc

Hi derkiki

haha ok in that case.. :-) i have almost no experience of realbasic & don't own a copy either! can program in most environments tho ( JS, Erlang, Objective C, some C etc.. )
Quote from: derkiki on August 16, 2013, 11:23:45 AM
Hi jc,
I use realbasic and modify raw2dng etc., so, not sure if you can work with that.

ha always the case when open sourcing code :-)
Quote from: derkiki on August 16, 2013, 11:23:45 AM
I'd also have to clean up my messy code a little.

alexp

Hey Derkiki. You might know this. Is it possible to recover the RAW files that raw2dmg deletes? I should've used Son of Batch. I was going to. But I figured what's the point, when raw2dng works just fine. Well, guess what, sometimes it works, and other times it deletes raw files without creating dmgs first. Derkiki please let me know if there is any way to recover raw files.

Danne

Did you try to look inside the app. Right click and go into contents?

Toffifee

derkiki

Quote from: alexp on August 20, 2013, 06:53:00 AM
Hey Derkiki. You might know this. Is it possible to recover the RAW files that raw2dmg deletes? I should've used Son of Batch. I was going to. But I figured what's the point, when raw2dng works just fine. Well, guess what, sometimes it works, and other times it deletes raw files without creating dmgs first. Derkiki please let me know if there is any way to recover raw files.

Sorry, I don't know how you could recover those. That's why "Son of Batch" doesn't delete the originals.
Good luck

alexp

Quote from: derkiki on August 20, 2013, 09:38:19 AM
Sorry, I don't know how you could recover those. That's why "Son of Batch" doesn't delete the originals.
Good luck

I recovered them. Switching to Son Of Batch anyway!

blainesuque

It works great, the only problem i had was that SON OF BATCH creates a proxy movie file, the dng's, and a back up of the PS files. I found that the proxy movie they develope isnt at quality at all of what it should be. In result i turn off the proxy export and the PS file export and just rely on the DNG files....then correct in Photoshop and export via quiktime to a movie sequence. The plus is that it can show a preview of a PS file easily, which does save you a lot of time knowing if the shot is usable or not. Anywyas thanks for the great work everyone, im loving this revolution.

David J. Fulde

Blainesuque: They are proxy's, designed to be easy to edit with which you then link up with your DNG's later.

To the developers of this: Incredible! I would love a back button in the GUI in case you go to the wrong folder (I need to literally quit the ap and then go back in) I was wondering: Would it be possible for this app to automatically de-squeeze something if it is shot in 720P mode? (like 1280x388?)

derkiki

Thanks. I'll look into the back button thing. What do you mean by desqueeze. Does it show the wrong aspect ratio now? Please post a screen shot.
If you want to go up one folder just press escape or click on the path above the source list.

jc

Quote from: David J. Fulde on August 26, 2013, 01:08:20 PM
To the developers of this: Incredible! I would love a back button in the GUI in case you go to the wrong folder

Hi David.. yes i was looking for the same thing.. the trick is.. click on the file path at the top, just to the left of where it says "output que" ... this will take you up one folder level!

my second trick is this.. make say 4 folders named 1 to 4 ( or 1 to 8 if you have an 8 core machine etc.. ) and place a copy of "Son of Batch" in each one.. then run all 4 / 8 at the same time.. this is a hack way to make it use all cores of your machine! it will be much faster!! ( until multi processing comes where it can be downloading all the time and then have 2,4,8,12 parallel processes all doing the raw to prores conversions! )

also any updates on the development.. at the moment this is the most promising version! will be even more exciting when the version 2 format becomes stable with all the meta data ( and sound!!) .. hopefully thats very soon!!

David J. Fulde

Quote from: derkiki on August 27, 2013, 09:35:20 AM
Thanks. I'll look into the back button thing. What do you mean by desqueeze. Does it show the wrong aspect ratio now? Please post a screen shot.
If you want to go up one folder just press escape or click on the path above the source list.

When shooting in 720P mode is actually shoots in 1280x388 and then you need to desqueeze by 1.40x it would be great if we could set SoaB to do this automatically. Here is what it looks like: http://imgur.com/6cUt76U

It's kind of a way to do video compression without doing video compression (Yes, this looks horrendous but that is beside the point right now :P )

It
s a pain to need to do this manually for every clip. Maybe there is some sort of meta data you could use as a flag to desqueeze it?

alexp

alexp

@derkiki, I get this error every 5 minutes. What does it mean?

swinxx

hi derkiki.

i have tried your app and compared it to magilcantern raw, and rawmagic..
the dngs created with your app looks best..

you can have a look to the testfiles..
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wtzx0dgimdqqpca/RJtAYZsa22

thx so much for your time and effort.
sw

jc

Hi derkiki, any chance for spanned 4gb files?? Raw Magic seems to have had it for a while now, so you could ask those guys how they did it if its problematic? Best regards and keep up the good work. James

jrumans

Quote from: jc on September 05, 2013, 12:44:52 AM
Hi derkiki, any chance for spanned 4gb files?? Raw Magic seems to have had it for a while now, so you could ask those guys how they did it if its problematic? Best regards and keep up the good work. James

The first post in this thread by Derkiki mentions:

"Spanning will be added, RAW2DNG seems to have problems with it right now."
Sometimes you have to go out on a limb to get the fruit.