Problem installing ML on 128GB 1050x Komputerbay Card!

Started by djfremen, July 23, 2013, 02:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djfremen

Hey all,

I've tried MacBoot on a 10.7.5 and a 10.8.4 machine and still am getting the "firmware not found" error.
Then I downloaded EOScard on a PC running windows XP. Still no luck. Can't get the thing to boot inside my 50D.

Anyone have a solutions?

The card mounts on all the computers and BlackMagic Speed Test shows its fast.

Thanks.

Andy600

Quote from: djfremen on July 23, 2013, 02:04:34 AM
Hey all,

I've tried MacBoot on a 10.7.5 and a 10.8.4 machine and still am getting the "firmware not found" error.
Then I downloaded EOScard on a PC running windows XP. Still no luck. Can't get the thing to boot inside my 50D.

Anyone have a solutions?

The card mounts on all the computers and BlackMagic Speed Test shows its fast.

Thanks.

Read the installation instructions again, specifically the bit about card size ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

djfremen

I understand the limitation and have read the wiki. What isn't clear is the process.

1. Copy previous successful install from other CompactFlash Card onto new card.

2. Use application to make card bootable (either EOScard or MacBoot).

3. Install card and hopefully boot in ML.

This process doesn't work for me so my other process is to try a fresh install. I get the error above.

aaphotog

The reason he told you to read it, was because ML can't be installed on cards bigger than 32gigs I believe.

ted ramasola

Quote from: aaphotog on July 23, 2013, 06:26:29 AM
The reason he told you to read it, was because ML can't be installed on cards bigger than 32gigs I believe.

Is this true for both 5d mkII and mkIII? I also encountered that message shown in the pic in djfremen's post but eventually the cf card ended up not being recognized after a couple of attempts. At first the camera was able to format it and take still shots, upon taking it out to copy ML files and put it back in, it was unrecognized by the camera already.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

xNiNELiVES

Unlock the boot loader with a card below 64gb. Then install ML on the card. Once done make the card bootable with eos card or Mac boot.

djfremen

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 23, 2013, 07:26:45 AM
Unlock the boot loader with a card below 64gb. Then install ML on the card. Once done make the card bootable with eos card or Mac boot.

Unlock the boot loader? Is this a ML preference? How are other people using ML with 128 GB cards? I've read posts on different forums where people use this card with the 5DMKIII.

AnotherDave

Why would you install ML on a CF card?  If you're using a 5D2, you don't need that fast of a card (since the camera can't physically write that fast)... and if you're on a 5D3, just put it on the SD card.

ted ramasola

Quote from: AnotherDave on July 23, 2013, 06:11:34 PM
Why would you install ML on a CF card?  If you're using a 5D2, you don't need that fast of a card (since the camera can't physically write that fast)... and if you're on a 5D3, just put it on the SD card.

I am talking with Komputerbay techsupport right now to isolate this problem. For now for those with UDMA7 1050x cards have a problem with older non UDMA7 card readers. If you have this hold on for my updates and DO NOT plug it into older cf card reader as it WILL CAUSE CORRUPTION ON THE CARD.

I'll update this post in a few hours as tech support will also be calling those who emailed and contacted them so we can isolate the problem.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

djfremen

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 23, 2013, 06:25:58 PM
I'll update this post in a few hours as tech support will also be calling those who emailed and contacted them so we can isolate the problem.

Interesting, Thanks Ted. You saved me a call.

Quote from: AnotherDave on July 23, 2013, 06:11:34 PM
Why would you install ML on a CF card?

Because the 50D only has a CF slot.

KB TechSupport

Hello Folks,

We have finally been given permission to talk on public forums on a trial basis. Please direct questions to [email protected] as we will not be able to reply back to the forums on a regular basis.

The 1050X is the fastest car that we have launched yet and has been confirmed to work on the 5DM3 for ML. You can achieve 1920X1080 @ 25fps without a problem. These are 5~9% faster than the 64GB 1000X.

We have seen some incompatibility with the 5DM2 (limited to FAT32 and bandwidth bottleneck of 67~72MB/s). We are working on this to see if these are users errors/camera limitation/card limitation. We will be talking to Ted later today to see if we can fix this issue. We reached out to 6 other users yesterday but they were not reachable.

We did reach out to 5DM3 users (this camera can use exFAT and can write 100MB/s) and some have already confirmed that they have used the card successfully.

The newer 1000X 128GB are the ones that Amazon has instock in USA. Basically anything that shipped from USA since this past Friday is the newer (V2) 128GB 1000X cards. They are just as fast as the 64GB 1000X cards. They will be in Europe by the 1st week of August.

Rumors: These are not QC failed Lexar cards. Some of our cards are made with the same components.

Fast/Slow cards: We have not been able to identify fast/slow cards yet. There is a card warmup required for some cards for them to work at their optimum speed (CF card design). Once they reach the optimum temp. - they work fine.

The best way to benchmark a card is on a UDMA 7 compatible USB 3.0 High Speed reader. We do not recommend firewire/USB 2.0/PCI Express as there are a lot of cases where people have lost their .raw files while transferring files. We recommend using CrystalDiskMark @ 4GB for PC and Blackmagic for Mac for speedtest. Please do not use h2testw for speedtest as their software has a bandwidth limitation however it is a good test for capacity checking.

Regards,

Tech Support
Komputerbay

djfremen

Think I'm getting closer to finding out the issue. It has something to do with permissions.

First, I tried changing the partition size to something the ML can work with.

now I'm getting this from MacBoot:

making DLSR-bootable - format=2
making FAT32 DSLR-bootable
Command 'printf "EOS_DEVELOP" | dd bs=1 count=11 seek=0x47 conv=notrunc of=/dev/disk4s1' = '!Error

dd: /dev/disk4s1: Permission denied'
   return code was 1

djfremen

Alas- That was a mountian lion permissions error. Disregard. Still not working with EOScard / MacBoot with 1050x card.

ted ramasola

Quote from: djfremen on July 25, 2013, 08:06:57 PM
Alas- That was a mountian lion permissions error. Disregard. Still not working with EOScard / MacBoot with 1050x card.

no success on my tests.

With techsupport we tried changing partitions, also to downsize the card, no success.

We changed the size of card to 20+ gig formated it, ran eoscard, still the camera can't see the ML files.

Note that even firmware from CANON cannot be seen by camera when using the 128gig card.

we manually made the card bootable by placing mbr then adding ML files, the camera still cant see FIR files.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

djfremen

tried diskutil info / | grep "Block Size"

Block Size is identical. This is not the issue....

ted ramasola

I even went as far as rolling back to Canon firmware 2.1.1 then install using ML from back in 2011. won't work with 128 cf.

I tried a Jul 21 NB as KB support suggest based on someone saying it works. -won't work with 128 KB 1000x.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

roluf

tobyloc

Argh! I'm having the exact same problem, maybe these cards are corrupt? I can take H264 video and photos on it at the moment though so that doesn't seem right. I'm on a 5D mark3 and it simply won't recognise the fir or the autoexec.

djfremen

Yeah- I even went so far as to do low level copy with a 8 GB 400x CF with a working ML install. Still no luck. Not sure what the issue is but I think I'm going to send back and pay the difference for 2x 64GB.

ajay

Just curious...for those with the 5DM3, wouldn't it make sense to put the firmware on the SD chip and leave the CF clean for video? I can however understand if you don't have an option, then you are stuck.

ted ramasola

Quote from: ajay on July 29, 2013, 05:20:57 AM
Just curious...for those with the 5DM3, wouldn't it make sense to put the firmware on the SD chip and leave the CF clean for video? I can however understand if you don't have an option, then you are stuck.
thats how they do it on mkIII. ML on the SD with the CF formatted to exfat to record unsplit files exceeding 4gig.

on the mkII its only fat32 cf slot.

we tested at the Dallas HDSLR meetup, the 1050x 128gig KB card works on the mkIII with ml on sd card.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Midphase

Quote from: djfremen on July 23, 2013, 06:07:59 PMHow are other people using ML with 128 GB cards? I've read posts on different forums where people use this card with the 5DMKIII.

5D3 has a dual CF/SD slot, so we load ML on say a 16gig SD card, while recording the video to a separate 128gig CF card...unfortunately this can only be done on the 5D3 because of the dual slot.

roluf

ted ramasola

Quote from: roluf on August 02, 2013, 12:21:10 AM
Still no solution for non 5D3-users, right?  :-\

If there is a method you guys want me to try, I still have the 1000x and 1050x 128gig cards KomputerBay sent for me to test.

Heres the thing, there are 2 users, both based in europe that "got it to work" with their 5d2, I think one of them posts here, I even contacted them via email and their youtube accounts.

But despite their help I can't replicate their success.

Here's what I got from them;

They have the 128 1000x CF from KB
They are using older builds, Jul 14 and Jul 22
One is Using Win 8
One is Mac

They both say they did not do anything "special" and just followed the install process online.

On my part,

I tried to install the ML to the CF via PC win7 and Mac- no go.
I tried to wipe the parttition and made new partition of varying sizes before format via a windows utility to fat32- no go
I tried making the CF bootable via EOScard - no go
I tried cloning a CF card with ML that works to the 128 card including cloning the partition - no go

Gregoryofmanhattan dev for the 50D ML says he got it to work on the 50D but I don't know if he can advice us on how to get it to work on 5d2. Hope he can chime in.

So I'm wondering, are those 5D2s in europe made differently?

Are those KB cards sent to the 2 in europe made differently?

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas