550D Bad Video Quality?

Started by dafassi, July 22, 2013, 10:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dafassi

Hi!

Im trying to make some nice videos using ML with my 550D.
But i allways have much noise in my footage.
I think im on wrong setup of my cam.
However, hoping to find some help and tipps here!

Using a 35-128mm Kit objective 3.5-5.6 IS

I mean, what are the right settings to record iE 1080p 25/24 FPS?
Is there a special thing on how much the apperature value is set or the shatter (i know 2xFPS).
Whats about  HIGH ISOs .. they are very noisy in a little bit dark rooms.

Do i have to make 2 settings for the resolution? 1st the main resolution and after that the ML RAW option?

I would need a very beginners step-by-step tutorial from some one.

Thank you!

Regards,
Dennis

MortenSJ

Another lens would help. You would get more light in with a lower aperture.

Don't know much about the ISO on 550D, but on my 60D it starts to get ugly when i go above 1600.

If your shooting 25 fps, your shutter should be 50.

dafassi

Allright, ill try my f50 1.8 lens from canon.

How do i have to make the settings?
as i can see changing the original cam-menu resolution affects the ML-settings.
Its irritating me :D.

Any other tipps. Maybe someone let me know good settings for iso, focus, shatter, FPS ...
A shatter from 50 gives me much motion blurr- or is it a lighting problem, too and the other lens will reduce it a little?

Thank you for helping!

renowilliams

I agree with what the other person is telling you. You should be able to get decent video with the 50mm 1.8

I shot the following with the same camera as you, using the standard 18-55 mm kit lens. This was shot using the raw video ML that can be found on this forum. It was shot at 1200x496 @ 23.976 FPS.

dafassi

Allright ... still looks awesome :)! good done!

I see the quality is very good ... my kit objective is not good for recording INSIDE.
What lens would be good for me (i need something around 18-24mm).
Is there a good cheap one (autofocus is NOT A MUST).

Thanks!

dafassi

Ive tryed a little recording with my 50mm 1.8 II lens.
It was becoming dark outside- but i still could look far away (germany 9pm).
Okay, Shatter 48, FPS 24, lens opened as much as possible, iso 1200.

The result is this:

dlrpgmsvc

It's impossible ! It's awful ! Far too much noise indeed ! Make this test: shoot a still pothograph with the same parameters and lens and subject and time of day and location, then post the side-by-side photos of the still and a frame of the video: lets see if the stills have the same noise of the video, so we can trace down the problem...
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

dafassi

Allright! Ill check this that evening the same time.
Using main photo-function the quality will be perfect.
Do i have to reduce main picture resolution to the same as the video had?

As i saw ML has also an ISO-Value for analog ISO-configuration. Maybe some settings are wrong?

I checked a lot low-lighting-videos on youtube and was wondering how good the results were using the main video-recording-feauture (without ML). Or do you think in most case people used such denoise like neat-video to optimize their clips?

ItsMeLenny

Your iso is too high.
Lower the iso, shoot when it's lighter.

glubber

Welcome to the dark side of raw-shooting: Noise reduction in post  ;D
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: dafassi on July 25, 2013, 07:36:23 AM
Allright! Ill check this that evening the same time.
Using main photo-function the quality will be perfect.
Do i have to reduce main picture resolution to the same as the video had?

As i saw ML has also an ISO-Value for analog ISO-configuration. Maybe some settings are wrong?

I checked a lot low-lighting-videos on youtube and was wondering how good the results were using the main video-recording-feauture (without ML). Or do you think in most case people used such denoise like neat-video to optimize their clips?

Resolution of photo and video doesn't matter, shoot it at whatever resolution you want. No problem.
For these tests, use Canon without ML, so ML is kept out from the variables for this time.
No, no denoise filters in post, and you must obtain much more quality with much less noise with the parameters you used !

dafassi

Interesting. I thinO  normal shot will be better. Recording movies without ml is the Same shit (sorry).
I know i can fix a Lot in post, i bought neat Video... But i also know, that the Eos 550d is able to record in Very good quality. Just like
Renowilliams One!
I will Check the things later that day.
But i want to ask : is it possible my Sensor Have a problem?

Sorry for writing mistake... Not easy with a mobile and german Keyboard settings and Word book!

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: dafassi on July 25, 2013, 12:59:25 PM
.. But i also know, that the Eos 550d is able to record in Very good quality.
But i want to ask : is it possible my Sensor Have a problem?

You can surely bet that, with your shooting parameters above, 550D is way better than your results shown! I can see a constant and uniform granularity that is definitely not coming from normal noise, this is for sure. In your tests try also a raw photo shoot and post the results also. Obviously along with all the parameters you used.
Definitely yes: it can be a sensor problem, or a side component as well... only tests will dictate something about... please: shoot also a photo as this and post the result: iris as closed ad possible, exposure as fast as possible, lens cap on, I wait for your images!

dafassi

Interesting! I made a comparison picture with cap on lens.

Settings:
EOS550D | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II | 1/4000s | f22 | iso 100 ... 6400

Ill test a video shot with max iso800 later that day.

The image (you can use it for what ever you whant!!):
EDIT -> HINT: THE +4 EV were added in POSTprocess!

dlrpgmsvc

Did you filmed with +4 Ev compensation ?

Like you can see, the noise is perfectly aligned with the normal values for 550D, so what you have in your videos is not "normal" noise, like I supposed first time I saw it. I will wait for the normal photos-video frames side-by-side to judge them...

dafassi

No this were done in postprocess ... i dont know how i can change the EV for recording ... maybe this is one of my mistakes?
I mean, could it be that there is any automatic correction-option (perhaps in regular camerasettings or ML) i didnt see and didnt disable?

The other pictures will be shot in about 1,5 hours.

To make everything right:
What ISO, focus, close-time (1/50), should i use for video+photo?

dlrpgmsvc

Try ISO 200, 24 (or 25) as fps, shutter = fps x 2, aperture = whatever to compensate the actual lighting.
The important is that you use a sd card where there is NO ML inside ! Let's test pure Canon mode.

dafassi

Alright!
dlrpgmsvc ... thank you for supporting me!
I found out what happened ... im not a newbe, but also not a pro!
I didnt now that im able to change the aperature holding the (AV+-)-Button.
With this i can catch more light and work with low isos.

Without your help i had never start to search for this function!

THANK YOU!!!

Results:
-> IMAGE:

-> SINGE FRAME FROM MOVIE:

dlrpgmsvc

Great! I'm glad I helped you to solve your problem! ;D