What's the most optimal, time-saving workflow?

Started by ShootingStars, July 22, 2013, 04:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingStars

Theres a bunch of methods to post-process, and I have a project coming up that will involve me taking many scenes with 5-20 seconds of footage each, which means I will have to look at lots of scenes individually for color grading/fixing.

What's the optimal workflow to approach this?

bumkicho

1. use rawmagic to convert separate raws into separate dng folders. (don't know why raw2dng will not implement this)
2. import dng folders into davinci resolve

iamoui

Quote from: bumkicho on July 22, 2013, 06:07:59 PM
1. use rawmagic to convert separate raws into separate dng folders. (don't know why raw2dng will not implement this)
2. import dng folders into davinci resolve

+1 This is my workflow, also.

minimalz

Hi,

This is my first post. I try not to bother community with stupid questions but I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I would love to use the workflow RAW -> DNG -> Resolve but I have some magenta edges on Resolve that I don't have with ACR.
Here is a test I shot, H264 compression reduce the problem but it is noticeable in 1080p :

I've seen this solution but it is very a long process doing it on every clip...

scarluuk

Quote from: minimalz on July 24, 2013, 12:32:04 PM
Hi,

This is my first post. I try not to bother community with stupid questions but I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I would love to use the workflow RAW -> DNG -> Resolve but I have some magenta edges on Resolve that I don't have with ACR.
Here is a test I shot, H264 compression reduce the problem but it is noticeable in 1080p :

I've seen this solution but it is very a long process doing it on every clip...

It's actually really easy to reduce the magenta on every clip.
Get a blank correction (not corrected image) and follow the steps from my post you linked to.
Now when you added the effect to reduce the pinkyness just save the grade/still (right click on the image > grab still)
You now have a still from the effect, if you now open a new image you want to grade you only have to right click on the still and click "Append  node graph", This only adds the effect to the existing grade without changing or removing any other nodes which would happen if you choose "add correction".
Now you only have to do minimal adjustments if you don't like the outcome of the effect and your done.
No worries anymore of doing the complete procedure over and over each shot.
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
Canon 5D mark III / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Samyang 14mm T3.1 / Samyang 24mm T1.5 / Canon 50mm F1.4 / Samyang 85mm T1.5

minimalz

Quote from: scarluuk on July 24, 2013, 05:33:45 PM
It's actually really easy to reduce the magenta on every clip.
Get a blank correction (not corrected image) and follow the steps from my post you linked to.
Now when you added the effect to reduce the pinkyness just save the grade/still (right click on the image > grab still)
You now have a still from the effect, if you now open a new image you want to grade you only have to right click on the still and click "Append  node graph", This only adds the effect to the existing grade without changing or removing any other nodes which would happen if you choose "add correction".
Now you only have to do minimal adjustments if you don't like the outcome of the effect and your done.
No worries anymore of doing the complete procedure over and over each shot.

Thanks for sharing and replying.
I tried your technique and it worked but I loose some reds and gain more cyan glow that I already had (circled in yellow).
I am wondering if there is a preset to avoid this shift anywhere in the soft. It's weird that ACR doesn't have this problem but Resolve does.

scarluuk

Have you exported the file yet?
Somehow the preview isn't 100% full quality if you don't use an external monitor through a SDI card.
If the problem still persists, could you post a frame from the DNG so i could take a look at it?
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
Canon 5D mark III / Canon 24-105mm F4L IS / Samyang 14mm T3.1 / Samyang 24mm T1.5 / Canon 50mm F1.4 / Samyang 85mm T1.5

minimalz

minimalz

Quote from: scarluuk on July 24, 2013, 07:58:30 PM
Have you exported the file yet?
Somehow the preview isn't 100% full quality if you don't use an external monitor through a SDI card.
If the problem still persists, could you post a frame from the DNG so i could take a look at it?

Do you see something wrong :) ?