Is this CinemaDNG Preview 4 importer for Premiere that bad?

Started by Sijimo, July 21, 2013, 02:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sijimo

After all i decided to give it a try and was surprised how well it actually worked.

There are a lot of people complaining that it is 8 bit. Sure it is. ACR in most cases is intended to be 16bit ->8 bit converter.
After all we are sitting behind 8 bit screens, huge 8 bit TV's and probably movie projectors in cinemas are also 8 bit.
I haven't noticed any difference between AE ("true" 16 bit) ACR and this ACR.

So i've imported a couple of DNG sequences to Premiere, selected them all, made "interpret footage" setting to 24, assigned a keyboard shortcut for "source settings" and THAT WAS IT. Everything works inside Premiere CC and looks beautiful. Every time i want to change a color look i just press my shortcut and i get a nice ACR window in front of me.
I have dreamt of this type of workflow since i've discovered ACR three years ago.

The only downside i have noticed that ACR built in into this importer probably uses 2010 process instead of 2012.
Adobe made a silly thing by discontinuing this thing. I have a feeling that they will bring back the "final" version some day.

Right now if to compare Ginger "direct raw" workflow and this workflow, i'd rather choose this. Don't know yet how stable it is. Time will tell :)

aaphotog

how do you make a shortcut for pulling up ACR in after effects?
Im lazy, and right clicking the actual footage clicking interpret footage then clicking more options seems to be a bit much. especially when I have to continue tweaking something in acr ever so slightly. Im on a mac if that makes a difference

Sijimo

I don't know. Maybe some third party programs like autohotkey can pull that off. It's funny how premiere all of the sudden is a good RAW editor. If you create proxies and put on top of them a DNG layer, disable DNG layer and make a nested sequence. Then you can edit ungraded at blazing speed and when it's done you simply enable DNG layer, grade
only required clips using shortcut (it also works for clips on the timeline, not only in project panel). Apply denoise and you are literally done!
I found out on the forum that you can create proxies using watch folder in Adobe Media Encoder and ginger hdr installed only in Encoder plugins folder. Super nice method btw

Sijimo

Oh, and this method doesn't have a problem if you don't like to grade the first frame of the clip in ACR and mess with Bridge to copy/paste attributes followed by reload in AE. In this ACR there is a nice slider, so you can preview ANY frame of the shot. Simply like that.

And if you like ACR denoise, you would totally love what Neat video plugin does. So i don't miss denoise which is absent in this CinemaDNG Preview importer.

So Adobe was (and is) very close to what i actually need for RAW native editing: An ACR inside premiere, without flicker and with PV2012.

bnvm

Quote from: Sijimo on July 21, 2013, 02:04:14 AM
There are a lot of people complaining that it is 8 bit. Sure it is. ACR in most cases is intended to be 16bit ->8 bit converter.
After all we are sitting behind 8 bit screens, huge 8 bit TV's and probably movie projectors in cinemas are also 8 bit.
I haven't noticed any difference between AE ("true" 16 bit) ACR and this ACR.

Well 8bit is fine until you have to so some color correction, then you will want to have those extra bits, and you wont notice any difference in ACR if you export to 16bit or 8bit. That is because ACR is doing all its work with the original 14bits before conversion. Adjustments made outside of ACR you will notice the difference. In my opinion any workflow that reduces the bit depth of the original footage before it is written out to its final format is not a recommended one.