Auto exposure algorithm for shooting - auto iso, ae (autoexpo.mo)

Started by pravdomil, July 20, 2013, 10:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pravdomil

for displaying cyan line you have to press shutter halfway a then open the autoexpo menu (I'm not sure that it works with LV)

other comments make sense, there is a lot of things to do on autoexpo, the fastest way is do it by yourself :)
The first thing I have to do is repair my 5D2 (throwing err30).

PhotoCat

This is an amazing feature pravdomil!  Great work!

Wondering if it works with Canon spot metering as well? If so, is it possible to exposure lock on the spot meter? (with manual exposure compensation)

i.e.  lock exposure and recompose.

Thanks again for the great work!

mgrant

I'm not 100% sure but it seems to take into account the Canon metering mode (as in spot metering). 

In my experimentation by setting the camera on a tripod and changing only the metering mode (In my 7D I have: Center-weighted, Evaluative, Partial, and Spot metering), I saw a consistent change in the numbers that this module choose. 

The BV Brightness Value that is used in the module seems to be the brightness of the scene as calculated by the Canon firmware.  Can anyone else confirm this?

pravdomil

the AE value is based on exposure compensation in M mode, so autoexpo follows the metering mode
see also my answers to Marsu42 about the exposure delay a few pages back in this topic

Marsu42

Quote from: mgrant on February 20, 2014, 05:21:32 PM
The BV Brightness Value that is used in the module seems to be the brightness of the scene as calculated by the Canon firmware.  Can anyone else confirm this?

Indeed, and until someone discovers a direct access to the bv metering w/o reading ae these modules (autoexpo, auto_iso with ec in m) will only be "good enough" I'm afraid to say... it's really unfortunate given the work that has been put into these.

brapodam

I'm not sure if I should post this here or under feature requests, but here goes...

Can a "link to Canon shutter" like the one in the ETTR module be implemented? I'm not sure if it has been suggested before (in fact I might have even suggested it previously but forgotten about it)

Basically if you turn the main dial it changes your Tv minimum value to that value, and if you turn the rear dial it changes your max aperture in the Av range.

moonlite

is there any way to make this feature assignable to some button. i mean, that the m-mode would work normally until you press a button and then the automatic values kick in.

ps: i want it to be separate from the af / ae lock buttons (ie half-press and backbutton).

2blackbar

IT works weird, why its picks ISO 800 and shutter 350 when it could be ISO 100 and shutter 60 ? I dont get it. IT should pick lowest ISO first then bump up shutter speed, im overexposed so why bumping up ISO o 350 ?
I kinda figured it ouy but how to leave that exposure so it wont go back to old one after releasing shutter button ? Id like yo use it for video.
Also on EOS M there is no wheel so its not possible to change all values, could you assingn them to something else on this particular model or just let us change values using only one button and arrows ?

JonnyA

I use remote cameras to take day and night shots out in the field. For night shots I want the camera to select 30s shutter speeds. For some reason my Canon and Nikon bodies have trouble with this, in AV mode they select anywhere from 1-15s shutter speeds, even in total darkness.

I just installed ML on my 7D (latest night build) and hoped the autoexposure module could help me get the camera to select 30s shutter speeds at night. However I'm still getting 15-20s exposures. I have my autoexposure parameters as follows:

lens aperture: f/5.6
tv minimum: 32"
same TC curve: on
av range: f8-f8
iso range: 1600-1600
EC: 0

Any idea why I'm not getting the full 32" exposure when I'm taking pictures in a pitch dark room in my basement? I have the camera menu lights off, so don't think I'm getting stray light, got the viewfinder covered..

thanks a lot for any help

Roland Deschain

Anybody have a working version of AutoExpo for the 700D? I'll donate for a copy of one... :)

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: Roland Deschain on April 14, 2015, 11:15:01 PMAnybody have a working version of AutoExpo for the 700D? I'll donate for a copy of one... :)
Is the version included in the latest nightly ( http://builds.magiclantern.fm/ ) not working for you?

What happens when you enable the autoexpo.mo module and restart?

Roland Deschain

I totally did not realize it was in the nightly. I was running a somewhat older version. Just updated, and it's there. Thanks a TON!

My bad.  :-[

boris

Hi Pravdomil,
This module seems great, but I can not get it to work on my 700D.
I installed the latest nightly, turned on the module, configured it, put the camera  in to M mode, half pressed the shutter button but in no lighting conditions see no change in the AV/TV/ISO...
Tried it both in LV and not...
What am I missing?

Thanks,
Boris

davidmarquesneves

This module is AWESOME, but the lack of AE LOCK is the unique feature that is missing.
Will be this possible?

Smolder

Hi all
would it be possible to change aperture range from f/1.1 to f/1.0  ?
Yes i have the Canon 50mm f/1.0 thats why. I know it is not a commen pice of glass but if it is an easy code change
id realy love to see that :)

Thank you.
650D + 50mm f/1.0L + 50mm f/1.2L + 85mm f/1.2L

Zodion

Hey,
i've got some questions/problems with autoexpo. I want to combine the autoexpo algorithm with the intervalometer from magic lantern.

I tried it on my Canon 550D but it did not work (haven't tried it on my 6D). Autoexpo itself works well, but only if I don't combine it with the intervalometer (which would be a killer-combination).

Are there some tricks or wasn't it planned to work with the intervalometer?

Walter Schulz

What exactly is the problem? Won't start? Stopping before sequence is completed? Exposure going wrong?
Please tell your ML version (date).

mothaibaphoto

Read the first post:
"Know issues
You have to press shutter halfway for a while"

Delphino

QuoteHi Pravdomil,
This module seems great, but I can not get it to work on my 700D.
I installed the latest nightly, turned on the module, configured it, put the camera  in to M mode, half pressed the shutter button but in no lighting conditions see no change in the AV/TV/ISO...
Tried it both in LV and not...
What am I missing?

Thanks,
Boris

Same problem here. I tried it with newest release and updated firmware of 700D to 1.1.4. I tried with reset configuration, too. But nothing happens. How do we get it working on a 700D?

derbestefan

Hi everybody,

is it possible to configure this module so that it sets the exposure according to focal length with zoom lenses, given the lens provides current focal length information?

I would really like to set it so that it sets the minimum exposure to at least double of current focal length but have not found a way to do so yet.

Greetings
derbestefan

OT:
By the way, am I blind or is there no button to subscribe to e-mail notifications from this topic?

Found this http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9638

Odin

groundlessfears

where to download this for 5D3 using 1.2.3 firmware.? The dropbox link is empty
Canon EOS 550D 1.0.9
Canon EOS 70D.111A
Canon EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3

Walter Schulz

It was merged into nightly builds long, long time ago.
Access Modules tab on your cam and activate it.

xlc

Hello,

I have download this module for the 700D and it doesn't work.

Then I will instal cygwin and check out the code source and after read this post, see by debug that the AE_STATE is never set (always 0).
So I change the consts.h file for the 700D platform in replacement of the constants AE_STATE ans VALUE as written somewhere in a topic page after having check in hexa code. It will be then the following :

#define EXPO_COMP (*(int16_t*)(0x367B4+0x1C))
#define AE_VALUE (EXPO_COMP-1) * 8 / 2048
#define AE_STATE (*(int8_t*)(0x367B4+0x1C))

It works (I check by printing the values of ae, iso, and so on).

I can check in if you want.

Just a question, what it is the use of AE_STATE ?

Xav

juniata

Hi everybody!

Really sorry! I am new here, and this post seems to be writen in a larger context. It is difficult for me to completely understand it.

I am looking for an alternative firmware that will allow me to go above iso 400 in autoiso mode of my 5d mk ii. Also, it would be very nice to be able to set a range of exposure times, apertures and iso values in manual mode.

This post seems like the solution! But I cannot find the correct download link. Can somebody please help me to find this software?

Thank you so much!
Kat