Is post processing RAW files supposed to be THIS slow? Any advice to optmze time

Started by ShootingStars, July 20, 2013, 06:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingStars

I do the usual, RAW2DNG, Camera Raw, move to AE as image sequence, and export.

AE seems to do it frame by frame, and since I am recording at 1280x720 at 60FPS, it takes hella long for only a 30 second clip... I'm pretty sure its not my computer (i7 2600k, 560TI GPU). Anyone have advice for optimizing/minimizing time for the post-processing process to getting the videos ready for timeline?

I plan to have many "clips" and moving them to AE individually to render would take quite a while.

iaremrsir

Quote from: ShootingStars on July 20, 2013, 06:40:56 AM

AE seems to do it frame by frame, and since I am recording at 1280x720 at 60FPS, it takes hella long for only a 30 second clip... I'm pretty sure its not my computer (i7 2600k, 560TI GPU). Anyone have advice for optimizing/minimizing time for the post-processing process to getting the videos ready for timeline?

I plan to have many "clips" and moving them to AE individually to render would take quite a while.

Adobe Camera Raw does an extremely high quality debayer plus a slew of other processes (denoise, sharpen, de-fringe, etc). It was optimized for still photography, not video. That is likely why you'll not see fps above 6 or 7 at best. If you want to use ACR you'll have to live the slowness.

pinger007

I'm rockin' a 3700K overclocked to 4.5ghz, a GTX 760, 32GB ram and SSD, and it's still a slow process.  You are not alone.  I'd recommend trying Rawanizer.  It's free and does a great job.  It simultaneously converts your RAW files to dng sequences and your choice of Proxy file.  This way, you can easily edit your proxies and then when you're ready for grading, you can replace your proxies with the dng sequences and only work with the footage you need.
all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you

Redrocks

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7066.0

Lots of workflows here, Resolve seems to be the most efficient but people prefer AE's functions. Have you monitored your resource usage whilst exporting? You probably already optimized AE, but it's worth mentioning.

deleted.account

You could just use a 5 line batch script with something like dcraw or libraw and export linear RGB open gamut 16bit tifs and be done with raw. Libraw offers excellent debayer, no sharpening, noise reduction if you wish and bad pixel masking.

What really do you gain putting raw straight into the grade? No intermediate file storage and control over WB, which everytime you adjust it debayer data is required again or from a cache to create the linear RGB which is what's actually used to grade with.

If your software is slow processing raw or doesn't do a good job, you could just use libraw to batch convert on the CLI using a high quality debayer, subtract noise, bake the WB and work with 16bit linear tiffs more than enough levels to contain the minimum processed raw as RGB and avoid all the repeated raw development steps?

eatstoomuchjam

Quote from: ShootingStars on July 20, 2013, 06:40:56 AM

Have you told AE to use multiple threads to render more than one frame at once?  It's still slow, but that will help, at least.

ShootingStars

Quote from: eatstoomuchjam on July 20, 2013, 04:32:59 PM
Have you told AE to use multiple threads to render more than one frame at once?  It's still slow, but that will help, at least.

This actually helped ALOT. Thank you! I was only using 1 CPU, and was about to quit RAW overall.

mohanohi

I don't like AE doing RAW debayering. Recently i shot with Kowa anamorphic. By mistake i shot in 2.35 ratio. Will do another test some another day. What  you guys think?
Body: 5d MarkIII with raw.
No filters
Lenses used:  40mm, 50mm, 75mm, 100mm & angenieux zoom lens
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=56043
DOP, Editor, DIT, PL 5D, Ultra primes, Kowa lens