raw2dng and raw magic giving me 30fps dng... all footage shot at 23.979

Started by muffins2u, July 19, 2013, 12:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muffins2u

I've been shooting anamorphic with fps override- 23.979fps, 1920 by 720 pix but every time I import to after effects the camera raw sequence it shows up as 30fps and when exporting in 24 or 23.979 or 23.976 the video looks jerky. (same timing) When exported in 30fps the video looks smooth. (using After effects for import/export)

Would love any clarification here, anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I've tried both raw2dng and raw magic, same results. It isn't really that big of a deal, footage looks great in 30fps and I'm sure I can output it a 2nd time from the 30 fps into 24fps and retain the smoothness but I'm just curious  if it's possible to shoot in 24 and output the dng files in a 24fps raw sequence.

Using the mark 3.

Andy600

Quote from: muffins2u on July 19, 2013, 12:17:31 PM
I've been shooting anamorphic with fps override- 23.979fps, 1920 by 720 pix but every time I import to after effects the camera raw sequence it shows up as 30fps and when exporting in 24 or 23.979 or 23.976 the video looks jerky. (same timing) When exported in 30fps the video looks smooth. (using After effects for import/export)

Would love any clarification here, anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I've tried both raw2dng and raw magic, same results. It isn't really that big of a deal, footage looks great in 30fps and I'm sure I can output it a 2nd time from the 30 fps into 24fps and retain the smoothness but I'm just curious  if it's possible to shoot in 24 and output the dng files in a 24fps raw sequence.

Using the mark 3.

Look up 'interpret footage' in AE  ::)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

NedB

@muffins2u: The DNG files have no intrinsic frame rate, since they are a series of images, and not a video file. After Effects has a default setting which simply guesses what the frame rate might be. In your case, the default setting, which is the case if you never change it after installing After Effects, is 30fps. To change this, right click on the imported "footage" (i.e., the DNG sequence)>Interpret Footage>Main. See the "Frame Rate" box? Here's where you set the frame rate of this imported sequence of images to whatever you want. If you want to change the AE default, Edit>Preferences>Import. Change the "Sequence Footage" default to, again, whatever you want. If you are always shooting 23.976 (23.979 does not exist as a standard frame rate), then simply type in 23.976 here and in the future, AE will "guess" that every sequence you import should be assigned the frame rate 23.976.

So now you understand what was happening in AE, right? AE gave your sequence a Frame Rate of 30fps, so when you exported as 30fps, it looked smooth, but probably a bit fast. When you tried to export it as 24 or 23.976, it was jerky because AE was trying to blend and drop frames to accomodate your wishes. But if your Interpret Footage setting had been correct, the opposite would be true: 30fps exports would be jerky, but 23.976 would be smooth, as it represents the sequence's "native" frame rate.

This is very basic knowledge that those who work with AE on a regular basis learn at the beginning. AE is a huge and very complex program and you can't expect to just "use" it off the bat without there being some things you don't understand. It would be better to try Google next time and assume that the problem is just that you are lacking knowledge, and not that the camera, or ML, or AE, or some other program is at fault. Cheers!

Damn, I see that Andy600 has already replied with his customary pithy and excellent expertise: what he said...
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

muffins2u

THANK YOU BOTH!!!

@Nedb- I really appreciate the full explanation and now I totally understand... Just wish the interface would have asked me for framerates when importing. You're right the 30fps looked smooth but was fast, I'm new to AE but seasoned with premiere so didn't know about this feature.

If you want me to delete this post go ahead but I did search the ML site for answers before posting but should have looked to google as well.

Again thank you for the full explanation, I just tested it myself and it is working perfectly :)

You have no idea how relieved I am, just got back from thailand/vietnam with massive raw footage and was worried they would be unusable.... posting the footage soon!