Is it possible to completely remove all traces of ML on a 5D Mark III?

Started by sridvijay, July 19, 2013, 07:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sridvijay

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if as of now, is there any way of completely removing ML on a 5D Mark III? By that, I mean no trace of it on the system at all. If yes, as of right now what's the success rate of removing it (AKA is everyone able to remove it completely, or is there like a 50% success rate in removing it)? Any help on this would be great! Thanks a bunch!

P.S I tried finding a solid, recent answer online, but couldn't find one which is why I'm asking it here. Sorry if this is a repost!

Rick M

Third post in the FAQ available above this:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2522.0

Success rate is 100%, unless you don't follow instructions.

Yuppa

Nope.  The FACT that you installed it is STILL on the NSA computers.  Sorry!
When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.

sridvijay

Quote from: Rick M on July 19, 2013, 02:56:34 PM
Third post in the FAQ available above this:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2522.0

Success rate is 100%, unless you don't follow instructions.

Thanks for the reply! To confirm: No one will realize the boot flag has been turned on (i.e when you start the camera on a certain shooting mode, it won't show the boot flag enabled screen) and will not be able to turn it back on unless they follow the instructions themselves to install ML, yes? Last thing, the ML.fir file is just the Magic Lantern Firmware File for the Mark III (in this case) right?

Thanks again for the help, appreciate it!

a1ex

aaphotog

Quote from: a1ex on July 19, 2013, 09:35:16 PM
For 5D3, you can't remove the bootflag safely yet.
I thought that simply pulling out the memory card would completely rid the camera of anything to do with ML???

Danne

You should notice a slower start when starting your camera from sleepmode and also when turning on your camera. Otherwise it,s fine.

sridvijay

dorus

Dear a1ex,

I Love the work you and other people have done, it is true magic! But can you explain to me why you can't remove the bootflag safely yet? I am referring to remove bootflag and after that not being able to run magic lantern on the 5d3, where is the harm in that? I understand it is not safe to run magic lantern without the bootflag. I like to see the camera return to its original state and boot as quickly as before, when I go on a photo shoot. Thank you very much!

Walter Schulz

dorus, please try to understand this:

1. The developers found a safe way to *set* the boot flag on 5DmIII.
2. The developers found - until now - no safe way to *reset* the boot flag on 5DmIII.

Understood? There is no problem to run a camera without bootflag set (which is default for all cameras fresh from the store).
The only problem is to *reset* that flag.

Ciao, Walter