Help finding Framing Options

Started by oete, July 18, 2013, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oete

I'm trying to access the 5x magnification options but don't see the 'Framing: Center' option ANYWHERE.

it is driving me nuts. and making me feel dumb.

i have the build from july 16th on a 5d3

somebody help locate it? instructions make me think it would be under RAW video near Digital dolly and Frame skipping but it's not.

oete

nobody knows????

i search and i search and i don't see it anywhere. and i can't find anything in forums explaining where it went.

Framing: Center
Framing: Force Left

Where is this option??

a1ex

Why do you need it? just press the zoom button...

oete

i do not need it?

i was following this guide step-by-step --> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.msg35624#msg35624

Steps 18 & 19 refer to the Framing: Center option. Not needing it would be a great explanation for why i can not find it.

will the RAW 5x magnification hack record the center of the frame by default now?

a1ex

The guides are not always up to date; all this is bleeding edge and changes often.

oete

Midphase

Quote from: a1ex on July 18, 2013, 10:29:21 PM
Why do you need it? just press the zoom button...

Forgive me for being a bit slow but...my understanding is that when you record in Crop mode, the image is captured at a X3 crop factor....yet hitting the magnification mode yields a X5 which means it's not possible to see the entire image that is being capture in LiveView, is this correct?

How can one go about accurately framing and composing the shot in crop mode? It seems to me that when one is zoomed in (which if I understand correctly is necessary to allow the camera to shoot at higher resolutions), a good chunk of the image is missing from the LiveView. Does this mean that when shooting crop there is a great deal of guesstimation as to what the final image will actually be framed as?

Or...am I missing something?

joegorges

Is the crop mode now standard in the newest builds? If so, how do you use it?

Midphase

The way I understand Crop Mode is as follows:

In LiveView, you press the magnifying glass which will zoom in 5X (10X if you press it again).

Press the trash button to go back to ML, in the Video menu select your desired aspect ratio and resolution. You will find that while you are zoomed-in, you can now select much larger resolutions (but you will still be limited by how fast the data can be written to the card).

Exit ML and start recording. The new video will be recorded in those higher resolutions.

The main problem as I see it is that there is no way to accurately monitor what you are actually recording since there is a discrepancy between the zoom in LiveView (5X) and the data being recorded in Crop Mode at 3X. Is there a way to see what is being recorded in Liveview accurately?