capability for read /download /upload of lenses' firmware

Started by bogdan_XXI, July 17, 2013, 06:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogdan_XXI

Cheers to all of you

I have a proposition in relation to a project of mine...

Have a Canon 550D, very happy about it. I wanted a replacement for the clasical mediocrity Canon 18-55 and went for a Sigma 18-50  2.8-4.5. The lens is some expensive for a standard one, about 200 euros so.. after some researching, i decided to buy a new 18-50 for the SA mount and convert it to EF.

Swapping the mount and connectors was easy job but i didn't expect it to have software differencies, sigma and canon protocols are identical, conectors identical.. practicaly is the same lens with different mount or .. this is what i thought

All works except for
  - optical stabilisation with behaves strange - it doesn't want to switch off, and ii start and stops even if i do not take pictures and just for example viewing the menu. Also, it depleted half the battery in 20 pics
- when focusing it sounds louder than usual like its beeing slightly forced into action
Maybe is more to it but doesn't show yet

My conclusion is that i need the firmware replaced with one from a 18-50 ef mount .. probably forced replace

Awaiting your opinions on the topic

BTW The subject of lens customisation is just getting hot, check this out
http://petapixel.com/2013/06/10/testing-out-sigmas-lens-calibration-usb-dock-and-software/

brapodam

Quote from: bogdan_XXI on July 17, 2013, 06:34:06 PM
Cheers to all of you

I have a proposition in relation to a project of mine...

Have a Canon 550D, very happy about it. I wanted a replacement for the clasical mediocrity Canon 18-55 and went for a Sigma 18-50  2.8-4.5. The lens is some expensive for a standard one, about 200 euros so.. after some researching, i decided to buy a new 18-50 for the SA mount and convert it to EF.

Swapping the mount and connectors was easy job but i didn't expect it to have software differencies, sigma and canon protocols are identical, conectors identical.. practicaly is the same lens with different mount or .. this is what i thought

All works except for
  - optical stabilisation with behaves strange - it doesn't want to switch off, and ii start and stops even if i do not take pictures and just for example viewing the menu. Also, it depleted half the battery in 20 pics
- when focusing it sounds louder than usual like its beeing slightly forced into action
Maybe is more to it but doesn't show yet

My conclusion is that i need the firmware replaced with one from a 18-50 ef mount .. probably forced replace

Awaiting your opinions on the topic

BTW The subject of lens customisation is just getting hot, check this out
http://petapixel.com/2013/06/10/testing-out-sigmas-lens-calibration-usb-dock-and-software/
First of all, the 18-55 is not a classical mediocrity. It's decent, apart from the fact that the aperture range may not be ideal.

Now, let's get on with your main problem. I don't think anyone apart from Sigma can change the firmware of the lens. The USB dock mentioned in the article you linked is for the newest line of Sigma lenses, they do not work at all on old Sigma lenses such as the one you have.

Your best bet is to sell off the SA mount one and get a EF-S mount one instead. I don't know what your reasons are for buying the SA mount one instead of the EF-S mount (cheaper perhaps?), but in general, if a lens is available in the mount you are using, you should get that one over other mounts.

bogdan_XXI

18-50 2.5-4.8 is not an old lens.. it was introduced in 2009

the capability of updating lens firmware thru camera body is already in use for sigma's four-thirds mount lenses
http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/support/download/

The USB dock is only the connection, the program is actually limiting the posibility of usage

... and besides the actual money save that you can do from transforming SA to EF, the work is actually very fun and interesting

I am not using the lens anymore until i find a way to re-firmware it