Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magic 7D

Hi there everyone!
I have a thought/request/idea.. sometimes when out shooting I'm shooting without dual ISO and then I might get into a situation where I need it "quickly" but going into the menu to turn it on often times is not quick enough, just had a thought that it maight be possible to set for example the info button as a shortcut key for turning dual ISO on or off when not shooting in live view. Don't really know if this is the right place to put this, but just thought it would be very handy. And I have no knowledge whatsoever in coding etc. so I don't know if it's an easy thing to acomplish or not.
Keep the good work up!  :)
A MAGIC 7D and 5D III + Lenses in the range of 15 - 400mm. Man it's shining.. it's a Lantern oh it's Magic, Aha it's Magic Lantern! ;)

lureb74

Don't know if this is the right thread where post it...
Shooted from a dark side of a room to outside to the trees and sky with same expo and iso values.
EF 28-135mm IS @ 100mm f/5.6 1/50sec on a 5D III with nov 04 ML nighty build.
5x crop, 2230 x 950px RAW video @ 25 fps on a Lexar 1000x 32gb CF card, Dual ISO (100-1600) processed with cr2hdr "denoice" version. Graded all frames at same settings, stabilized in post and resized to full HD.

As the 7th frame 1/2stop overexposed (corrected in post), I don't know if it flickers because of a raw video recording error or a cr2hdr conversion error.
What do you think about the result?

Danne

Nice one. I tried in 5x the other day and I must say that the cr2hdr really kicks ass now. Alex work on this is remarkable. Fully usable with very minor cases of aliasing and artefacts.
About flickering. Could it be postproduction in acr causing this?
Think it,s time to start a thread with dual iso movies :)

kgv5

Quote from: lureb74 on November 10, 2013, 04:33:08 PM
processed with cr2hdr "denoice" version.

really great result, did you download cr2hdr "denoice" from the first page of this thread?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

lureb74

Quote from: Danne on November 10, 2013, 04:44:28 PM
About flickering. Could it be postproduction in acr causing this?

No, some frames (as always the 7th frame) are REALLY overexposed! Used ACR to correct them, but still flickering is visible somewhere ...

Quote from: kgv5 on November 10, 2013, 05:44:05 PM
really great result, did you download cr2hdr "denoice" from the first page of this thread?

Agree! Exposed at 1600 ISO with AETTR (without dual iso link), dual iso set on -4 value (1600-100 iso)with the intent to recover as highlights as possible... and it did it well I think ;-)

Downloaded the A1ex's http://acoutts.com/a1ex/denoice/cr2hdr-denoice.exe
from his Reply #1523 on: October 30, 2013, 09:51:23 PM
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg85889#msg85889

Pay attention, the denoice funcion is available but not abilitated by default! I'm not a coder, so I created a shortcut of "cr2hdr-denoice.exe", then right click and in target link properties i added "--denoice" for activate it (must appear like "x:\...path...\cr2hdr-denoice.exe --denoice"). So I can process many files together!

I wonder why is not possible to move more than x files over the cr2hdr-denoice.exe for processing (where x > 495) or you get a windows "The filename or extension is too long" error... someone have a solution?

Danne

Is denoice really needed though? I tried converting with a.d; s converter version 1.6 worked good. Got some border lineproblems in the latest 1.8 version when converting 3x mode files. Im on a mac

lureb74

Quote from: Danne on November 10, 2013, 06:34:56 PM
Is denoice really needed though? I tried converting with a.d; s converter version 1.6 worked good. Got some border lineproblems in the latest 1.8 version when converting 3x mode files. Im on a mac

Don't know what is "a.d; s converter version 1.6 or 1.8", think you mean some app for mac. I'm on windows...

Simply, with denoiced DNGs you have less noise on dark areas and less aa artifacts on hi contrast areas.

a1ex

Quote from: Danne on November 10, 2013, 06:34:56 PM
Is denoice really needed though?

Only if the end result is too noisy without it. I have a bunch of really underexposed shots from a timelapse, because I've misconfigured ETTR (I've disabled highlight ignore completely while trying to shoot a moonrise).

papkee

A1ex, I still can't get cr2hdr to work with my .dng files. They convert fine if I execute them individually from the command line, but dragging them over the .exe doesn't work. It flashes onscreen for a second and then quits without changing the file.

I have a ton of Dual ISO clips from a fire juggling show that I'd love to see. Would appreciate some help here greatly.

Thanks.
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

Walter Schulz

Open command line, "browse" to folder where Dual-ISO files and CR2HDR (+ dcraw + exiftool) are and use
for /R %a in (*.CR2) do cr2hdr "%a"

Ciao
Walter

papkee

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 11, 2013, 03:53:43 AM
Open command line, "browse" to folder where Dual-ISO files and CR2HDR (+ dcraw + exiftool) are and use
for /R %a in (*.CR2) do cr2hdr "%a"

Ciao
Walter

Well, it turns out I didn't have to do that. I wasn't aware that both the dngs and the executables had to be in the same folder in order to work. I suppose that was my problem the whole time. I just copied them in to the folder and now it appears to be working great.

Thanks for the indirect help Walter!

papkee

I hate to keep causing problems here, but I've encountered another issue with Dual Iso videos.

It seems that, at random times, the exposure will flicker from light to dark, almost like cr2hdr thought the certain frame should be exposed differently than all the rest.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Magic 7D

Quote from: Magic 7D on November 09, 2013, 02:17:36 PM
Hi there everyone!
I have a thought/request/idea..
Sometimes when out shooting I'm shooting without dual ISO and then I might get into a situation where I need it "quickly" but going into the menu to turn it on often times is not quick enough, just had a thought that it might be possible to set for example the info button as a shortcut key for turning dual ISO on or off when not shooting in live view. Don't really know if this is the right place to put this, but just thought it would be very handy. And I have no knowledge whatsoever in coding etc. so I don't know if it's an easy thing to acomplish or not.
Keep the good work up!  :)

Think this got lost in the heat of discussing DxO ;) .. or maybe I'm the only one thinking it would be useful :)
(Hope I'm not breakin the rules by quoting myself)
A MAGIC 7D and 5D III + Lenses in the range of 15 - 400mm. Man it's shining.. it's a Lantern oh it's Magic, Aha it's Magic Lantern! ;)

papkee

Alas, it appears there is not a very good way for 650D dual iso footage to be processed.

I've concluded that the combination of having to remove the pink dots from the RAW file and having to interpolate the dual iso lines is just a bad combination for any method I've tried.

With raw2dng_cs2x2_ahdlike_noise.exe and cr2hdr.exe, random and intermittent flickering is experienced with the footage.

With PinkDotRemover.jar and cr2hdr.exe, the pink dots are not removed fully.

a1ex, any thoughts on this? I have a large pile of very interesting Dual ISO fire juggling that I'd love to use, but I can't seem to get usable footage. :(

chris bouk

...good evening from Greece...
I just started with the last edition of ML for my 7D and I want to ask you a favor...
is there any thread about post processing the dual iso pictures? I rode the article by alex1 form the beginning but I'm lost...
I'm dragging the images over the cr2hdr.exe but nothing happens.....what is this? can you please give me an advice?

crazyrunner33

There's information on it in the first post. I just copy all files that come in the zip and paste them in the folder where the dual iso pictures are and drop the images on the exe. If you only have cr2hdr.exe and do not have dcraw or the other associated files, then the process will not work.

5D Mark III, 7D

chris bouk

thank you crazyrunner33, I did that in the same folder and a DNG file has been created....so easy!
thank's for your help....sometimes, you read a post...continue to read...and after 30min your mind is away!!!

Traste

Hi,

I wonder if there is any way an CR2 image file using Dual_ISO can be differentiated from a non Dual_ISO file for example in the EXIF, I had a look but could not find anything obvious.

Reason i need it is to programatically differentiate Dual_ISO so i can script execution of cr2hdr.exe when new dual_iso files are added to the folder.

All the best,
Traste

Marsu42

Quote from: Traste on November 17, 2013, 08:10:20 PM
I wonder if there is any way an CR2 image file using Dual_ISO can be differentiated from a non Dual_ISO file for example in the EXIF, I had a look but could not find anything obvious.

No, there isn't - the camera doesn't detect dual_iso so the cr2 is just like a non dual_iso one, and cr2hdr just copies the exif/makernotes straight over to the dng.  This is a bit awkward, since the "dual" prefix doesn't always work.

I had already suggested to save a xmp file just like with deflicker that contains the iso absolute values used (like 100/800) because that's currently also impossible to determine afterwards, cr2hdr just uses the relative difference and even this doesn't end up in any exif data.

engardeknave

Quoteprogramatically differentiate Dual_ISO so i can script execution of cr2hdr.exe when new dual_iso files are added to the folder

Cr2hdr makes this determination and skips regular .cr2 files (unless something goes wrong). So for each .dng created, the similarly named .cr2 is dual iso.

Traste

Quote from: engardeknave on November 17, 2013, 10:14:06 PM
Cr2hdr makes this determination and skips regular .cr2 files (unless something goes wrong). So for each .dng created, the similarly named .cr2 is dual iso.

Thank you for enlightening me! That makes things a whole lot easier, now i just need to check if a DNG already exists for each CR2 file and ... Robert is my uncle!

dickson

Just shot some dual iso on my 5dii, and can't get the thing to work - always get a "filename or extension too long" error signal when I drag the dngs. I have cr2hdr with the dcraw and exiftool in the same folder with the dngs.

crazyrunner33

Quote from: dickson on November 20, 2013, 10:46:58 PM
Just shot some dual iso on my 5dii, and can't get the thing to work - always get a "filename or extension too long" error signal when I drag the dngs. I have cr2hdr with the dcraw and exiftool in the same folder with the dngs.

This error is literally what the error message says, the file extension is too long. Try throwing the folder with your dual iso and cr2hdr tools onto the root of the C drive, it should work from there.
5D Mark III, 7D

dickson

Thanks, seem to have it going now. But now what's happening is I drag the dngs, and they're processed - and nothing's changed. In Adobe bridge I can still see the alternating frames at different iso's. When it's processing there's a little note for each frame as it flashes by, something like "doesn't look like interlaced iso's." So I guess it's not recognizing that the frames are different. I lowered the difference between the two iso levels, could that be doing it?