Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

ubuntu's RT is really old, I had to add a PPA or get it straight from them.

a1ex

Here's another snapshot. Should fix the crash, and also has some different tuning parameters.

cr2hdr-amaze-edge2.exe

If you find anything that looks better with the previous one, upload a DNG.

1%

My previews broke on 6D :(... b/d errors on most frames and then very small 1/2 height preview on very large iso ranges, eg 100/6400
EOSM too, no B/D errors but 1/2 height.

The cr2hdr is now crash free... its cranking away on a folder. AVG 6 - 7 seconds to complete the debayering.

a1ex

Yeah, that preview looks interrupted from half-shutter.

Try shooting in single mode (not continuous), since it doesn't check half-shutter there.

1%

a1ex

Can you check whether is_continuous_drive() works properly? (should return 0 in single mode).

Or, undo the cache tricks (revert 283c1f2) to see if it solves anything.

1%

Looking at auto ETTR, continous silent is detected properly but must be returning 0 for normal continuous and everything else since I don't see the warning.

a1ex

Then, it's probably the cache or lack of vsync. On 5D3, if I comment out the msleep from the undo hook, I get two windows of preview (one at the top and the other at the bottom); in the middle, I get interlaced data (already undone). So there's some processing going in parallel, I guess.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on October 22, 2013, 08:53:40 PM
If you find anything that looks better with the previous one, upload a DNG.

Ok, it's not crashing anymore - and I've got a sample right away, I'll pm you the link as it 's for debugging only.

Look at the white spot, the amaze interpolation leaves less artifacts and is better at reconstructing the fur. This is great news for me since I already had the problem with line/dot artifacts in areas before that are clipped in one of the dual_iso exposures, I can send you another sample of this artifact type if you want it.

1%

What it does to the noise is phenomenal. Much cleaner output overall.

EOSM and 6D preview are identical though and both of these are using the same hook now. EOSM doesn't have the b/d detection problem I think.

CR2 is uploading.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on October 22, 2013, 11:27:42 PMWhat it does to the noise is phenomenal. Much cleaner output overall.

I have to say I'm also AMaZEd how good this works by now concerning sharpness & noise. When I first read about it I thought "well, yeah, there have to be a lot of downsides to it" - but there aren't! Except for processing time & the need to keep the original cr2 around, meaning 2x the data storage, 3x if you have backups - but that can't be helped.

kgv5

Could we somehow use this method (i mean this new quality) for dual iso raw video?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

1%

I think that would already work with the bin provided.

Nang

Hey guys, anyone using cr2hdr.exe for video via 5d3 ever get the "The filename or extension is too long" error? It worked fine for two of my DNG folders, but now I keep getting this error. Is it because there are too many dng files being dropped on it?

Thanks in advance

***EDIT -- please ignore above... I ended up dragging and dropping half of dng's at a time in the folder. Working fine now... silly me.
Portfolio: somnang.4ormat.com | Video: https://vimeo.com/somnang
Prime: Olympus Zuiko OM 24mm f/2.8 | Rokinon Cine 85mm T/1.5 | Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Helios 44-2 58mm f/2.0 | Jupiter 37A 135mm f/3.5
Zoom: Meteor 5-1 17-69mm f/1.9, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Tamron 24-70mm Di VC f/2.

Legushka

Canon eos 60d, firmware 1.1.1/sigma 10-20 + ML v2.3.RC2 + Nodal Ninja NN4

a1ex

kgv5

i am having problems with newest cr2hdr,  I have downloaded cr2hdr-amaze-edge2.exe but drag and drop doesnt work. I have downloaded also dcraw, put it in the same folder, nothing. When i use command line and type all by hand it tells that DNG doesnt look like interlaced - but it surely is.

Normally I am using rawanizer with some new raw2dng, it works and deinterlaces dual iso footage but i wanted to try those newest solutions. Thanks
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

haeki

I got the same problem as kgv5.

Material was filmed with iso 100 and iso 1600. .RAW was converted to DNG with RAWMagic 1.0 beta 7b. The cr2hdr package was installed and after that I tried to convert the dng-dual-isofiles to cr2, but it didn't succeed. For me it looks like cr2hdr is temporary creating a cr2-file but then deleting it, because right before it finishes there is a .CR2 which is automatically deleted.

I'm on a Mac 10.8.5
cr2hdr is version 1.4

Any suggestions?

Before:

After:

a1ex

haeki

Yes, I'm pretty sure. Both modules (raw and dual iso) are on in the modules-menu. I got them both turned on in the movie-menu. It shows Iso 100/800 on the lcd and it's also changing from 100 to 800 while recording and as you can see in the screenshot of the folder there is one dark frame and one bright frame. The only thing I am a bit curious about is that there are two bright frames at the beginning 00000 and 00001.

a1ex

From your description and screenshot, I'm pretty sure you didn't.

You used HDR video, which is a different beast.

haeki

Quote from: a1ex on October 23, 2013, 12:23:44 PM
From your description and screenshot, I'm pretty sure you didn't.

You used HDR video, which is a different beast.

Sorry, my fault! That was a stupid one, thought HDR-video was dual iso...

glubber

I'm really AMaZEd!

Below is a shot i nearly lost hope on, but somehow i knew someday a1ex gonna fix it! :D
The 2nd one from left was developed with ufraw at default. Most right was tonemapped with Photomatix to gain some contrast on the helicopter.
With those on the left i fiddled for hours on any raw developer i could get hands on just to see if there is at least some details in the sky.
I expected there would be just a near white canvas behind a black spot.

Link to CR2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90483500/DUAL-ISO/DUAL6183.CR2

EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

a1ex

This one is really hard because there's little or no overlap between the two exposures. What ISO did you use?

I've got a good DNG by forcing ISO 100/3200, but the autodetection doesn't work. I'll keep it as a test case, since I want to try to autodetect ISO and bright/dark fields from histogram analysis.