Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kazeone

Quote from: Audionut on September 07, 2013, 04:41:33 AM
The processing time is around 30 seconds on my overclocked 2600k.  I dread to think what it would be like on a current android device.

well if it was designed to take advantage off all the cores I think it would do fine on my quad core Nexus 7 2013.

a1ex

Quote from: Audionut on September 07, 2013, 04:41:33 AM
The processing time is around 30 seconds on my overclocked 2600k.

It's 45 seconds on my 4-year old laptop (P8600). I thought the i7 must be a little faster than that, hehe.

Audionut

30% single threaded performance increase is decent enough.  Make it multi-threaded  ;D

Quote from: kazeone on September 07, 2013, 04:57:07 AM
well if it was designed to take advantage off all the cores I think it would do fine on my quad core Nexus 7 2013.

ARM is power consumption focused.  It's still going to be rather slow.

kazeone

Quote from: Audionut on September 07, 2013, 09:45:23 AM
30% single threaded performance increase is decent enough.  Make it multi-threaded  ;D

ARM is power consumption focused.  It's still going to be rather slow.

I wouldnt be to quick to say such, in the past only high end CPUs could handle HD playback and now its mere childs play for ARM cpus and they have been shown to be fantastic at mathematical calculations which is whats taking place here when processing the image besides why are you so against it? where is the harm in having the option?

a1ex

Quotewhere is the harm in having the option?

Somebody must spend time to maintain the arm port (which is likely to be quite a bit more than just a straightforward compilation of current sources).

If you are willing to do that, be my guest. I'm curious how fast it can go. Maybe put Ubuntu on the Nexus and run it in console?

kazeone

Quote from: a1ex on September 07, 2013, 10:12:53 AM
Somebody must spend time to maintain the arm port (which is likely to be quite a bit more than just a straightforward compilation of current sources).

If you are willing to do that, be my guest. I'm curious how fast it can go. Maybe put Ubuntu on the Nexus and run it in console?

well I would be willing to buy it so it wouldnt have to be free, shoot Im sure others would like the option as well, maybe we can talk to chainfire, hes done a lot in terms of creating various apps that control Canon DSLRs, including the famed DSLR Controller that offered a lot neat features well before ML finally got around to getting ported.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on September 06, 2013, 07:34:26 AM
The ISO estimation from cr2hdr is relative to the other ISO (can be either positive or negative, but there's no way to tell - other than a rough guess).

Maybe in this case directly writing this information into an xmp file from ml is the way to go after all? You'd then have it next to the cr2 which some people might want to keep because better cr2hdr versions might be coming up, and cr2hdr could read the xmp and write the information into the dng. Or of course as it was suggested cr2hdr could try to figure out the + or - iso ev for itself - in any case, imho just loosing this information along the way would be a pitty.

Audionut

Quote from: kazeone on September 07, 2013, 10:01:52 AM
I wouldnt be to quick to say such, in the past only high end CPUs could handle HD playback and now its mere childs play for ARM cpus and they have been shown to be fantastic at mathematical calculations which is whats taking place here when processing the image besides why are you so against it? where is the harm in having the option?

I'm not against it.  But some facts.

ARM is power consumption focused.
The current processing is single threaded (bad news for slow processors that rely on multi threading), and I can't see how the processing could be easily multi threaded.  a1ex would know better.

Video processing is done via dedicated chip and/or dedicated processing routines, neither of which currently help this processing, nor are they likely to in the future.

I'm not saying it can't be done!

Francis

I'm curious as to why you would want a cr2hdr conversion tool on your tablet. The resulting DNG files still need a good deal of PP to get them to look decently exposed. Then you're going to need Lightroom or GIMP/dcraw or whatever running on your tablet also. You might as well just wait until you are back at your 'editing' computer.

Seems like a waste of time. If you are just wanting a preview, then image review does a pretty decent job of blending the exposures.

kazeone

Quote from: Francis on September 07, 2013, 06:24:15 PM
I'm curious as to why you would want a cr2hdr conversion tool on your tablet. The resulting DNG files still need a good deal of PP to get them to look decently exposed. Then you're going to need Lightroom or GIMP/dcraw or whatever running on your tablet also. You might as well just wait until you are back at your 'editing' computer.

Seems like a waste of time. If you are just wanting a preview, then image review does a pretty decent job of blending the exposures.

Sometimes Im on site for a week at a time or Im hiking so yes I could see it being handy to be able to work with a tablet and I already have a program like lightroom on my tablet that lets me work on Raws and DNG just like in lightroom.

As for a decent job blending the image in review mode on the camera you must be doing something different then I am because all I see is distinct lines across the whole image.

Francis

zuzukasuma

Quote from: a1ex on September 07, 2013, 05:24:29 AM
It's 45 seconds on my 4-year old laptop (P8600). I thought the i7 must be a little faster than that, hehe.

well, I've checked it around and seemed no luck running cr2hdr.exe even with multiple user accounts on same computer, so I've created 4 Windows 7 virtual systems, my ram is about 8gigs and able to run 4 VMs simultaneously. only bottleneck is I have to use my system SSD for file i/o, because both systems and cr2hdr.exe's temp file crashes the harddrives.

so far, I'm able to render 5 frames at the same time with i5 2450M, 8gigs ram, 5 x windows 7 and a single SSD, but I'd like to have a multithread support on cr2hdr.exe :)
in a complicated relationship with eos m.

Canon eos m

Some help requested.

After having used ML for a few months, my favourite most feature is clearly the Dual_ISO capability by a mile. And more so on my EOS M ( even more than on my 5D Mark III, for practical reasons - even though the quality I get on my 5D is far superior ).

The only thing I am struggling with is recovering the shadows on skin. I get these really black areas concentrated in regions of shadows that recover but not quite. There are these black patches that refuse to go away no matter what version of cr2hdr or dcraw I adopt.

And, this is a problem, because most of my photography is done after sunset ( busy schedule at work ).

I am now thinking flash to recover shadows since the highlights are clearly brilliantly handled with the Dual_ISO feature. Fast lenses are an option but not always.

Any other ideas will help greatly.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

zuzukasuma

I'm having trouble with cr2hdr.exe when I shot sunset raw video at dual iso, anyone have same issue?

telecastDaveRI

Quote from: zuzukasuma on September 08, 2013, 06:09:18 AM
I'm having trouble with cr2hdr.exe when I shot sunset raw video at dual iso, anyone have same issue?

I dunno....whats the issue?  :D

zuzukasuma

its gonna be double post but photo upload failed.

I'm having trouble with cr2hdr.exe when I shot sunset raw video at dual iso, anyone have same issue on bright areas?

kazeone

can you upload the original raw file? so I can try it on my end and see if I get the same results.

zuzukasuma

dadinio13

with cr2hdr for mac i can't process dng files. With wine + dos prompt and cr2hdr.exe i can't with this command : cr2hdr.exe MXX-XXXX-XX... I don't know what command i can use for select all dng in a folder... i can't do drag & drop onto cr2hdr.exe...

fpena06

On osx 10.8.4 and cr2hdr (2013-09-05). can't process dng files either.

zuzukasuma

Quote from: dadinio13 on September 08, 2013, 05:10:07 PM
with cr2hdr for mac i can't process dng files. With wine + dos prompt and cr2hdr.exe i can't with this command : cr2hdr.exe MXX-XXXX-XX... I don't know what command i can use for select all dng in a folder... i can't do drag & drop onto cr2hdr.exe...

as a1ex said couple posts earlier, rename them to xxxxxx.cr2's, then cr2hdr.exe will process them

fpena06

heres a workaround. extract cr2hdr from cr2hdr.app "cr2hdr.app/Contents/Resources/bin/cr2hdr"

will have to use command line. to process entire folder simple do this.

./cr2hdr /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS7D/*

This worked for me. I was able to process a complete folder with DNG files.

./cr2hdr /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS7D/*

Input file     : /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS7D/IMG_0674.DNG
Canon EOS 7D detected
Full size      : 5360 x 3516
Active area    : 5202 x 3465
White level    : 12500
Black borders  : 158 left, 51 top
Black level    : 1953
ISO pattern    : dBBd GBRG
Noise levels   : 11.76 19.78 21.37 11.32 (14-bit)
Estimating ISO difference...
ISO difference : 1.04 EV (205)
Black delta    : -3.07
Interpolation  : mean23-chroma5x5-alias
Dynamic range  : 9.86 (+) 8.95 => 9.98 EV (in theory)
Matching brightness...
Looking for hot/cold pixels...
Hot pixels     : 20
Cold pixels    : 1236
Full-res reconstruction...
ISO overlap    : 5.8 EV (approx)
Half-res blending...
Chroma filtering...
Building alias map...
Filtering alias map...
Smoothing alias map...
Noise level    : 29.11 (16-bit)
Dynamic range  : 10.50 EV (cooked)
Black adjust   : -4
Output file    : /Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100EOS7D/IMG_0674.DNG
    1 image files updated

dadinio13

yep thank it worked fine for me but that is not the last version im wrong ?
and for the cr2hdr app how i can change the extension of dng's to cr2's in the folder at one time?,

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: dadinio13 on September 08, 2013, 07:33:50 PM
yep thank it worked fine for me but that is not the last version im wrong ?
and for the cr2hdr app how i can change the extension of dng's to cr2's in the folder at one time?,
Get this one:  www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X