Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgv5

Dual ISO for video is a very usefull tool. And like every tool it has specific task to do. It is not usable in every situation though, for me it is great in cooperation with HDR function.
If I want to have high dynamic range with lots of detail - i use HDR. It gives motion artifacts so i use it when there is no fast camera movement. If I want high dynamic range in motion - i use dual ISO. Aliasing and moire can be less visible with motion blur and of course when background is out of focus, i tested it also with some chroma blur and it gives quite good results in decreasing artefacts.
It is great to have such awesome tools, they are still work in progress and i don't feel it is a dead end.
Even RED's HDRx has some quirks with motion so seems there are no way to have an ideal solution.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

oddname

Quote from: X-RAY on August 21, 2013, 09:46:20 PM
This seems to be just an incorrect whitebalance setting. Are the EXIF information in the DNG file correct (like aperture, shutter speed...)?

My result is after "correcting" White balance.
Will check the dng when possible.

X-RAY

Quote from: oddname on August 22, 2013, 11:49:52 AM
My result is after "correcting" White balance.
Will check the dng when possible.

I looked into your uploaded file and I got it perfectly right with just the white balance eyedropper in ACR (I think on the curtain in the front should give the result).
Or do you mean those agressive greens in the tree? These may be chromatic aberrations.
www.frankenfotograf.com
instagram.com/frankenfotograf

Audionut

Quote from: X-RAY on August 22, 2013, 03:44:25 PM
Or do you mean those agressive greens in the tree? These may be chromatic aberrations.

Fringe artifacts from the aliasing.  Defringe it in ACR/LR.

stevefal

Quote from: kgv5 on August 22, 2013, 11:27:43 AM
Aliasing and moire can be less visible with motion blur and of course when background is out of focus, i tested it also with some chroma blur and it gives quite good results in decreasing artefacts.

Even if dual-ISO video has value in those cases, I still wish that RAW video could be finished and shipped first. Shooting RAW provides massive value compared to in-camera video, and without the huge caveat and complication of aliasing.
Steve Falcon

Audionut

Quote from: stevefal on August 22, 2013, 04:50:37 PM
Even if dual-ISO video has value in those cases, I still wish that RAW video could be finished and shipped first. Shooting RAW provides massive value compared to in-camera video, and without the huge caveat and complication of aliasing.

In your opinion!

Besides, it's not like work has stalled on raw recording, g3gg0 is doing some awesome work on it here.  That's a massive job going on there, coding an entire container format.  How long does it take the MPEG to deliver a new format.  Proposals, drafts, deciding who gets the biggest percentage of the patent pool.  Years!
That includes a ton of stuff you mentioned in your previous post.

P.s.  Take further discussion into another thread please.

stevefal

Of course my opinion! Also agree the file format etc. work is fantastic!
Steve Falcon

robinlee

Thanks but still have no joy with this, cr2hdr always show exiftool don't work...  :(

Quote from: engardeknave on August 22, 2013, 06:18:56 AM
I just did one: exiftool -tagsfromfile img_1234.cr2 img_1234.dng

But I think cr2hdr already does this.

See http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/exiftool_pod.html#copying_examples

tron

hello,

I downloaded the latest version for 5D2 (31302bbc6461.zip) and the corresponding cr2 to dng tool.
I see repeatable (non-random) noise patterns at dark areas (that were amplified with the use of Shadows slider (Camera Raw 8.1) in the resultant DNG file.
I have a screenshot at 200% but in "Attachments and other options" I do not see an option to upload a photo. I'll try dropbox (if I still have an account...)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvfwb2an3kxukb0/5D2_DUAL_ISO_100_1600.JPG

Audionut

tron

As a start can you read the uploaded screenshot ?

Audionut

Quote from: tron on August 22, 2013, 07:34:00 PM
As a start can you read the uploaded screenshot ?

a1ex can't bugfix screenshots  ;)

tron

Quote from: Audionut on August 22, 2013, 07:35:44 PM
a1ex can't bugfix screenshots  ;)
Very funny!  ;D I asked however if you can read the dropbox link (as a start) because ... I just reactivated and I hadn't use it for sharing links ever!

CR2 will follow in 5 mins...

Audionut

Doyle4

i spotted couple of them on my images, sometimes blue or red

engardeknave

Guys listen, I think all RAW video development should be put on hold for now because I personally don't need it. I know this might be a controversial point of view, but if you'd stop making video so much, I'm sure you'd see things my way.

More seriously, dual ISO is awesome. It's perfect for shooting stills outside where one exposure sometimes doesn't have enough range but stuff is blowing around too much for an HDR bracket. I've already started using it during every shoot. This feature is infinitely more important to me than anything that involves video.

blainesuque

Can someone list a good post workflow for Dual Iso video? is it the same as RAW Video?

stevefal

Quote from: engardeknave on August 22, 2013, 10:41:13 PM
Guys listen, I think all RAW video development should be put on hold for now because I personally don't need it. I know this might be a controversial point of view, but if you'd stop making video so much, I'm sure you'd see things my way.

More seriously, dual ISO is awesome. It's perfect for shooting stills outside where one exposure sometimes doesn't have enough range but stuff is blowing around too much for an HDR bracket. I've already started using it during every shoot. This feature is infinitely more important to me than anything that involves video.

Fair point, but continued on another thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7839 (awaiting moderator approval)
Steve Falcon

tron

DUAL ISO concept is awesome indeed. It was THE reason I loaded the latest ML in my camera! However, I was taken aback by the pattern problem I reported (Reply #714). But that is why this is (a great) work in progress. I am also not interested in video but at the same time I respect others who want video too.

Marsu42

Quote from: v8rrc on August 14, 2013, 08:34:02 AM
Any chance of this on the 60D - can I help investigate?

*Bump* - I'd also really like to use this on my 60d, any tutorial for finding the required camera specific values, ideally w/o the risk of bricking it? Or is anyone else already on it with more experience like the people who also managed to put raw video on the 60d?

n8ben

I just wanted to include my experience using Dual ISO somewhere for others that might be having the same struggle with the conversion to dng.

I am running Windows 8 64 bit which might be my problem :P.

I downloaded the cr2hdr zip folder from this post. I unzipped into the same folder as my dual ISO cr2 image file. I dragged the cr2 image onto cr2hdr and it launched, but it seemed to stop only part way through processing the file. It produced 2 files:

tmp.pgmCamera
tmp.txt

I searched for references to pgmcamera in an attempt to find a solution but found none, at first I thought I had the wrong copy of the .exe. In the end I had to run cr2hdr from the command prompt in order to produce a dng file I could use. After navigating to the correct folder just type:

cr2hdr.exe image.cr2

Where image.cr2 should be replaced with the name of the image you want to process.

Danne

Folder issue? Keep the name short without spacing. Drag and drop produces dng-files.

robinlee

Do you have dcraw.exe on the same folder as well?

R

Quote from: n8ben on August 24, 2013, 03:16:56 PM
I just wanted to include my experience using Dual ISO somewhere for others that might be having the same struggle with the conversion to dng.

I am running Windows 8 64 bit which might be my problem :P.

I downloaded the cr2hdr zip folder from this post. I unzipped into the same folder as my dual ISO cr2 image file. I dragged the cr2 image onto cr2hdr and it launched, but it seemed to stop only part way through processing the file. It produced 2 files:

tmp.pgmCamera
tmp.txt

I searched for references to pgmcamera in an attempt to find a solution but found none, at first I thought I had the wrong copy of the .exe. In the end I had to run cr2hdr from the command prompt in order to produce a dng file I could use. After navigating to the correct folder just type:

cr2hdr.exe image.cr2

Where image.cr2 should be replaced with the name of the image you want to process.

aseek

I've been using dual iso on 50D on win 8 x64 for about a week, have not seen the green tint you guys showed in your samples. I use ML wb and correct in post

I've noticed the need to use some slight defringing.

When dragging multiple cr2s over cr2hdr.exe it only processes 30 or so images. Here's what happens afterwards: (30 more of them get processed when re-attempted)

here are some sample dngs with the latest tragiclantern build (aug 19?) and cr2hdr (with no exif data, exiftool errors out for me):  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wwmu3uuz6l1e7wd/4qazwI0KH1

I'm thrilled with dual iso, did not expect it to work so well on my aged 50D.

some edited results:
http://31.media.tumblr.com/2dae2151ca0235b14ede9500e55fc888/tumblr_mrtf6cWRtY1qculbmo1_1280.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/899d4bf349e0f74d40cf4d28c7f71b40/tumblr_ms0xaypHSO1qculbmo1_r1_1280.jpg