Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

Or open a cmd line and process the cr2 manually.  The cmd line will remain open when it's finished processing and you will be able to see the error message.

Path_to_cr2hdr\cr2hdr.exe D46A0001.CR2

Doyle4

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 19, 2013, 01:30:23 PM
The question is: Is it broken?

I'm not so sure about this feature (if it blocks ML developers "resources"). I learned mid tones have big influence on sharpness reception (and more). Look what LR/ACR ruler Clarity does and this is done (AFAIK) mostly by midtone manipulation. Therefore I don't have a big problem with lacking resolution in shadows/highlights.

At the moment this all is theoretical and has to be verified/falsified in the field with some valid examples.

Maybe it is just the other way round and diminished highlight/shadow resolution will stick out like a sore thumb when viewed by Mr. and Mrs. Common.

Ciao, Walter

I see what your saying :)
Unfortunately the mkii cant do Dual Iso Video, but i know what you mean about mr n mrs common not been able to notice, cheers for replying.

oddname

Is it a limitation or what causes the mk2 not to be able to do video with this?
Final verdict or just atm? =)

Asufeld_ins

Quote from: Andy600 on August 18, 2013, 07:34:19 PM
Are you using the latest cr2hdr.exe? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg67977#msg67977

Are you sure you actually have Dual ISO enabled?

Oh yeah thank you.

the old CR2HDR.exe don't work.
But your Link is OK !!

Good job and Thank you ^^

Edit: New feature on your download page from this day.
Tragic.Lantern-2.0-Andy600.Build.2013Aug19.50D109

What's is new ?
( sorry for my english ... )

Doyle4

Quote from: oddname on August 19, 2013, 04:54:12 PM
Is it a limitation or what causes the mk2 not to be able to do video with this?
Final verdict or just atm? =)

not 100% sure my self, i know the mkiii and 600D do DI video.

engardeknave

Quote from: akumiszcza on August 19, 2013, 10:33:42 AM
Select ISO 100 and set ISO 100/1600 in Dual ISO settings. Expose to get highlights properly (not cut). Best would be exposing to the right. 1600 ISO will take care of shadows.
Most often setting EV-2 in Av while taking a shot works fine.

I did not check 1600/100 method though, but I think proper exposure will be trickier (you won't be sure if highlights are ok). Also 200/800 might get much less noise if the dynamic range is not too great.

Thanks, I used this and I think it worked out well. May or may not post examples later after I'm done processing everything.

engardeknave

I did a shoot just now alternating between advanced bracket for HDR and dual ISO. I did this by toggling each in junkie mode. When I got home I found that all the file names were "DUALXXXX.CR2", even the files that were part of a bracket with dualiso disabled from the menu. The files are definitely non-dualiso shots, but they are named incorrectly.

TLN

Quote from: engardeknave on August 19, 2013, 11:57:03 PM
I did a shoot just now alternating between advanced bracket for HDR and dual ISO. I did this by toggling each in junkie mode. When I got home I found that all the file names were "DUALXXXX.CR2", even the files that were part of a bracket with dualiso disabled from the menu. The files are definitely non-dualiso shots, but they are named incorrectly.

Exactly.

I've tried latest ML build + dual ISO module.

Started doing shots in pairs: 1st with dualISO off, 2nd with dualISO on.

I got one file named IMG_xxx1.cr2 and then all the files named DUALxxx2.cr2 and so on.

This is why I registered there, but you posted it first. :)

Audionut

Quote from: TLN on August 20, 2013, 09:57:33 AM
I got one file named IMG_xxx1.cr2 and then all the files named DUALxxx2.cr2 and so on.

I've pointed it out to a1ex.  Hopefully he can debug it.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/8bd01d4dbb46386e50d4f97b71b7148a29571764

Doyle4

Im getting same problem, DualIso name stays, iv also noticed when you have the option to shoot one normal one dual sometimes it will take either two normal and two dual iso missing the normal/dual iso and replacing it with vice versa, anyone else had that?

X-RAY

I shot some tests with Dual ISO on my 5D2 under real world conditions and in a challenging szenario. But what can say ... just a great addition and so powerful. :-)
This really isn't a scientific test, but I just wanted to try how good it is for my purposes. A sunrise seems quite challenging. As I understand, the best way to shoot Dual ISO is to expose for the highlights and to get them almost clipping. But not that much as I normally shoot. And then I hoped for the power on the dark side. ;-)
The unprocessed version:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark-ness/9552218087/

Just some slight adjustments:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark-ness/9552216865/

And a quick processed version:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark-ness/9552220807/

Does anybody know what those white dots are (there are just a few)? Seems to be some processing error. Are those in some way dead pixel that show up much more through cr2hdr?

And I also have just a few other shots that have strong magenta highlights. No correction possible through white balance.
www.frankenfotograf.com
instagram.com/frankenfotograf

oddname

X-RAY how did you expose? ETTR-like or just normal exposure for the highlights?

AND for the ones that know, will video support be available for the 5D2 or is just a model limitation that says "Never"? =)
Hate to sound like a broken record, but fun to know if one is thinking about a mk3 like I am, dealbreaker if the 5D2 will get the support too eventually.

akumiszcza

Quote from: Doyle4 on August 20, 2013, 12:05:56 PM
Im getting same problem, DualIso name stays, iv also noticed when you have the option to shoot one normal one dual sometimes it will take either two normal and two dual iso missing the normal/dual iso and replacing it with vice versa, anyone else had that?

I'm having same problems with DUAL (_UAL for AdobeRGB) file names. As for one normal/one dual shots, I've noticed it does not work for continuous shots. Probably you took double photos, then stopped, then double again. Each of those doubles will be the same type, so in this case it will be 2 normals and two duals for instance. And probably all named dual...

Mirazimov

How to use this function? I have the Canon 6D. I downloaded the latest version of the firmware build. Found a download module features DUAL ISO / But I do not understand how it works. In the photo just strip. What am I doing wrong?
Mirazimov Photographer http://www.mirazimov.com
Canon RebelT2i, Canon 6D and a lot of optics.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Mirazimov on August 20, 2013, 07:46:27 PM
How to use this function? I have the Canon 6D. I downloaded the latest version of the firmware build. Found a download module features DUAL ISO / But I do not understand how it works. In the photo just strip. What am I doing wrong?

Read the first post of this thread Mirazimov.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

TLN

BTW, after some experiments with DualISO and ETTR, I found that I'm missing some options in ETTR module.

There's exposure settings, and it have an option like -0.5EV, -1EV, -2, -3 and -4.  With dual ISO i'd like to have something like 0EV, +1EV and may be +2EV as well.  This will make a brighter shots, and can be useful with DualISO. Without it, i shoud pull my blacks alot to see the difference.

X-RAY

@ oddname
I didn't activate ETTR in ML but my approach was quite the same.
www.frankenfotograf.com

oddname

Using dual ison on my 5D2 and this is what I get when done with the postprocessing.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/2647/nqrs.jpg

Is it really supposed to be this greenish?

X-RAY

This seems to be just an incorrect whitebalance setting. Are the EXIF information in the DNG file correct (like aperture, shutter speed...)?
www.frankenfotograf.com

robinlee

I am using one of the cr2hdr_exp.exe and it always give different exposure results even though my images were exposed manually and in the same light setting.

Another issue is sometimes it has blue overcasts on shadow too.

Plus it doesn't always convert the dualiso raw file and sometimes it need few attempts before it detects the dualiso raw files.

A1ex, any chance for you to look into this.

Thanks
Robin

engardeknave

White balance has been completely erratic with dual ISO. I just tried copying all the exif tags from the .cr2 to the .dng with exiftool (presumably what cr2hdr already does) and the white balance was still off.

Not to suggest that it really matters.

robinlee

Hi engardeknaye,

Do you mind to PM me on how to copy exif tags from *.cr2 to *.dng with exiftool please?

Many thanks.
Robin

Quote from: engardeknave on August 21, 2013, 10:18:50 PM
White balance has been completely erratic with dual ISO. I just tried copying all the exif tags from the .cr2 to the .dng with exiftool (presumably what cr2hdr already does) and the white balance was still off.

Not to suggest that it really matters.

Doyle4

Iv noticed white balance can be massively out also on my MKii, to the point even auto white balance on PS can get confused and even with custom is difficult to fix, i use ML auto white balance now, haven't tested since then though.

engardeknave

Quote from: robinlee on August 21, 2013, 10:37:53 PM
Hi engardeknaye,

Do you mind to PM me on how to copy exif tags from *.cr2 to *.dng with exiftool please?

Many thanks.
Robin

I just did one: exiftool -tagsfromfile img_1234.cr2 img_1234.dng

But I think cr2hdr already does this.

See http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/exiftool_pod.html#copying_examples

stevefal

I'm going to commit blasphemy and say I think Dual ISO is a dead end for video. Some of the samples out there have amazing dynamic range, but the aliasing is just terrible.

Having HDR with no time-based artifacts may be worth it for stills, but even there, bracketing is an option with even more range, and it works fine in many cases.

I say this because I really wish that RAW video was perfected and truly field-ready. RAW video was already drop-dead awesome before dual-ISO came along, and yet there's still plenty of work before it's really usable. Solving audio, external displays, cropping overlays, status indication UI, file format, time-code, exposure/focus aids, workflow and, of course, stabilizing the system are all worthwhile if not critical. Finishing them is a job.

I think dual-ISO video is intriguing, but a huge "feature-creep" on RAW video, and it would be best to ship the first before becoming consumed by the second. ML RAW video could mean a revolution in film-making, but it's essentially still a prototype.

How about getting RAW video done? Think of the films, the press, the accolades! It's that good.

I'm happy to help any way I can.
Steve Falcon