Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

Dual iso works with "analog" ISO only. 12800 is definitely digital
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Asufeld_ins

Hi everyone and thx for this feature.

I use ML from many month and i take recently a new feature for Dual ISo.

But i have a problem.

When i can put my CR2 on cr2hdr.exe

Many of them don't work , the windows open just 1 second and shutdown.

Why a lot of my Cr2 work but not everything of this ?

( sorry for my english .... )

Canon eos m

Quote from: Asufeld_ins on August 18, 2013, 11:17:05 AM
Hi everyone and thx for this feature.

I use ML from many month and i take recently a new feature for Dual ISo.

But i have a problem.

When i can put my CR2 on cr2hdr.exe

Many of them don't work , the windows open just 1 second and shutdown.

Why a lot of my Cr2 work but not everything of this ?

( sorry for my english .... )

Please look for post #633, #644 and #645 for help.

Best is to save the file in the root director. Name the directory cr2hdr. Download the zip in the directory and unzip. Save the cr2 files from the camera in the cr2hdr unzip directory where the cr2hdr.exe files have been extracted. It should work without a problem.  :)
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Asufeld_ins

Thx for answers

I read it before you post for my.

I have extract on c:/ch2hdr

and i taking ch2hdr_exp.exe too.

I clear my TMP file

And is the same problem.

My DSLR is a 50D. Have a feature ( ch2hdr ) Just for it or is the same for all ?

Canon eos m

Quote from: Asufeld_ins on August 18, 2013, 11:40:48 AM
Thx for answers

I read it before you post for my.

I have extract on c:/ch2hdr

and i taking ch2hdr_exp.exe too.

I clear my TMP file

And is the same problem.

My DSLR is a 50D. Have a feature ( ch2hdr ) Just for it or is the same for all ?

Same for all.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

fanous

Hi Guys,
New firmware is great, but...
After I install it (booting from CF card) my 7D eat energy very fast. Batteries (two in battery pack) are on half of capacity after taking around 150 photos :(
I have ML firmware on one CF card and I using it when I need Dual ISO. If the "Dual ISO" card is in my 7D the back red LED is blinking once a 2 second period. If I need normal shooting I place into my 7D another card (no red LED blinking). In both cases the consumption of energy is very fast. One more think, when I turn camera on there is about 2 second delays then camera is ready to work...
For me energy and readiness is priority number one. Can I remove booting from my 7D? Can you help me, please?
Thank you for your response

PS Sorry for my bad English

Fanous

Walter Schulz

Quote from: fanous on August 18, 2013, 12:46:19 PMIf the "Dual ISO" card is in my 7D the back red LED is blinking once a 2 second period.

Described in the 7D installation procedure thread: Prefs -> Warning for bad setting -> Q -> Turn all 3 warning items OFF

Quote from: fanous on August 18, 2013, 12:46:19 PMCan I remove booting from my 7D? Can you help me, please?

- Download http://pel.hu/ML/bootoff.bsdiff
Follow the steps creating 7Dbooton.fir but create 7Dnoboot.fir
See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3974.msg64342#msg64342 for detailed instructions.

Ciao
Walter

fanous

Luzestudio

Quote from: 1% on August 13, 2013, 05:59:48 PM
600D, its not perfect. I saw some artifacts.

http://www.filedropper.com/600ddualiso

Thanks a lot 1%, trying right now, the results looks incredible! Thanks for keep integrating the updates into the 600D.

-----
www.luzestudio.es

akumiszcza

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 18, 2013, 10:55:15 AM
Attended a wedding and tested the duel iso for my 50D. Some beautiful dynamic range.

When nighttime hit, I tried to see if I could do something like 800/12800 but even though it was selected, it still defaulted back to 800/1600. Maybe a bug? (I know it would be incredi-noise, but I just wanted to see how bad it would be).

Hi. What ISOs and converters did you use for this shot? I've just checked with latest tragic lanter build and latest cr2hdr (for windows) from first post here and still get greenish shadows.

oddname

I agree about greenish tint, using latest cr2hdr with my 5D2 many images are greenish and no color correction can get rid of it, any attempt
just adds some other color on the greens.

sdesign

getting very frustrated, shooting pictures with my 50d, newest tragic lantern, aug17th, keep getting nogo saying something about interlaced something rather.  Simple files names and all, still weird nogo's, HELP!!!!

Andy600

Quote from: sdesign on August 18, 2013, 07:28:32 PM
getting very frustrated, shooting pictures with my 50d, newest tragic lantern, aug17th, keep getting nogo saying something about interlaced something rather.  Simple files names and all, still weird nogo's, HELP!!!!

Are you using the latest cr2hdr.exe? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg67977#msg67977

Are you sure you actually have Dual ISO enabled?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

D.L. Watson

Quote from: akumiszcza on August 18, 2013, 03:14:10 PM
Hi. What ISOs and converters did you use for this shot? I've just checked with latest tragic lanter build and latest cr2hdr (for windows) from first post here and still get greenish shadows.

I used ISO 100 and 1600 with the latest cr2hdr for Windows. They converted beautifully for me.
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

D.L. Watson

Quote from: nanomad on August 18, 2013, 11:03:49 AM
Dual iso works with "analog" ISO only. 12800 is definitely digital

Then why is it even an option in the Duel ISO settings?

akumiszcza

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 18, 2013, 09:13:09 PM
I used ISO 100 and 1600 with the latest cr2hdr for Windows. They converted beautifully for me.

I've checked again with latest build and latest cr2hdr compiled by Andy600. It looks like "extreme" cases (with blown highlights) are still converted wrong by it (green), but otherwise it's a huge improvement (most photos are nice).

Example of wrong processing:
https://mega.co.nz/#!lMUQ1Syb!bUPbAzlUBwnqWgjGER5eyGBbZ3JptHNwzZKRlXJsgkE (CR2)
https://mega.co.nz/#!IFtzGYqB!fEk-PEU91rsOyq6bGxSwYA9_IOJUFLRaTpbMKgl7lnY (DNG)

1%

Different cameras have different isos... 128K I don't think anything has native, maybe 5d3 or 1dc/x.

D.L. Watson

Quote from: 1% on August 18, 2013, 09:39:38 PM
Different cameras have different isos... 128K I don't think anything has native, maybe 5d3 or 1dc/x.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

sdesign

Yes i'm actually using it and its giving me a quick error that i cannot read fast enough and closes

engardeknave

For those of you with a window just flashing when you drag-drop onto the .exe, try putting the files you want to convert right in the same folder, right off the root of your drive, ie. c:\tmp. There was a problem with the path when I tried dragging directly from the CF card at first. (Failing that, maybe try running cmd.exe and run the program so you can see the error.)

Does anyone know the best way to expose with dual ISO in the daytime? Specifically I mean: under or over? The photo seems way brighter after taking the shot than in LV. Am I going to get better highlight or shadow recovery? I'm going to do a shoot tomorrow and I won't have time to read/experiment and figure this out beforehand.

akumiszcza

Quote from: engardeknave on August 19, 2013, 08:46:51 AM
Does anyone know the best way to expose with dual ISO in the daytime? Specifically I mean: under or over? The photo seems way brighter after taking the shot than in LV. Am I going to get better highlight or shadow recovery? I'm going to do a shoot tomorrow and I won't have time to read/experiment and figure this out beforehand.

Select ISO 100 and set ISO 100/1600 in Dual ISO settings. Expose to get highlights properly (not cut). Best would be exposing to the right. 1600 ISO will take care of shadows.
Most often setting EV-2 in Av while taking a shot works fine.

I did not check 1600/100 method though, but I think proper exposure will be trickier (you won't be sure if highlights are ok). Also 200/800 might get much less noise if the dynamic range is not too great.

Doyle4

As the Highlights and Shadows are half resolution,

could there be an option in the cr2hdr app to make the other iso image half resolution to match the resolution of the shadow and highlights? people may wonder why i would like this but i noticed Dual Iso only works on RAW setting no sRAW1 or sRAW2, resize is an option in photoshop or other editing software but i would be halving the resolution again in the highlights and shadows.

cr2hdr could produce two images with this option enabled, one is the final image that the program does now and a 2nd image has been scaled to match the resolution of the halved highlights and shadows.

Cheers :)

Walter Schulz

The question is: Is it broken?

I'm not so sure about this feature (if it blocks ML developers "resources"). I learned mid tones have big influence on sharpness reception (and more). Look what LR/ACR ruler Clarity does and this is done (AFAIK) mostly by midtone manipulation. Therefore I don't have a big problem with lacking resolution in shadows/highlights.

At the moment this all is theoretical and has to be verified/falsified in the field with some valid examples.

Maybe it is just the other way round and diminished highlight/shadow resolution will stick out like a sore thumb when viewed by Mr. and Mrs. Common.

Ciao, Walter

sdesign

im really sorry to bother againg, but the root trick amongst every other trick, doesnt work.  I've changed filenames to be simpler, downloaded the latest and greatest cr2hdr and all it does is still flash and complain about some not interlaced or something like that, i cant read it so fast, as it comes up.

Walter Schulz

Old admin trick: Make a video at highest possible frame rate! ;-)

Ciao, Walter