Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeinCusco

Silkway

Hi
i just installed the latest build from Andy600 tragic lantern for dual ISO on canon 50d
and this is what i got

is this image is as it supposed to be?
the horizontal zebra lines?

or am i doing something wrong?

thank you anybody for quick answer!

ilguercio

You haven't read how the Dual ISO feature works and how to process it, right?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Silkway

oh yeah sorry i have read the first post

i downloaded that 3 files tools

and i try to drag and drop CR2 file on the cr2hdr.exe icon

but the command dial says "it seems like it is not interlaced ISO"

and shuts down...

here what i got

ilguercio

Conversion works for me with my 6D files but i am not sure about the en result.
@A1ex:does the cr2hdr need to be changed with data from other cameras?
I would love to upload the dual iso file now but it's not possible at the moment.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

Silkway

modified

ah no it works fine! it just doesnt pick up underexposed pictures.

Andy600

Quote from: Silkway on August 12, 2013, 05:01:47 PM
oh yeah sorry i have read the first post

i downloaded that 3 files tools

and i try to drag and drop CR2 file on the cr2hdr.exe icon

but the command dial says "it seems like it is not interlaced ISO"

and shuts down...

[spoiler]here what i got
[/spoiler]

Did you shoot in live view? If so, it doesn't work. Use photo mode only.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Silkway

Quote from: Andy600 on August 12, 2013, 05:51:25 PM
Did you shoot in live view? If so, it doesn't work. Use photo mode only.

no dear sir Andy600

i shot via viewfinder of canon 50d

but it seems like there is not enough info for processing on too dark images. thats a reason it didnt convert. but other images who shot on bright areas with good highlights it is just perfect working!

Danne

Don,t shoot in too extreme situations. I got the same problems when shooting birds in very bright areas such as skies. Otherwise it,s fine

dubzeebass

Can I please request that the EXE for CR2HDR be updated in the OP?  Seems like it's an earlier build.

akumiszcza

I've noticed green cast in shadows and highlights after converting dual iso cr2 into dgn on Canon 50D.

Normal case:

without Dual ISO:

Extreme case:
cr2hdr.exe:

cr2hdr_exp.exe:

Is there some trick to remove green cast in ACR (in normal, not "extreme" cases at least)? Split toning won't do the trick. Setting WB sets it either for highlights and shadows or for middle parts.

1%

Yea, I had some problem with green cast on 50D. I think some of the problem might be that 50D uses iso 100, 320, 640, etc NOT 100, 200, 400, 800, etc. Have to check it out and port to 600D and *maybe* eosM if the module loads with CMOS logging enabled.

REDcineX

Hi all.

Really new to this and I have a "dumb" question. I'm on Mac (Mountain Lion) I have the source code and pre-built toolchain. Could someone point me where to go from there. Not quite sure what to do with it to use my 5D2 .cr2 files and get cr2hdr working.

Francis

Quote from: REDcineX on August 13, 2013, 01:30:30 AM
Hi all.

Really new to this and I have a "dumb" question. I'm on Mac (Mountain Lion) I have the source code and pre-built toolchain. Could someone point me where to go from there. Not quite sure what to do with it to use my 5D2 .cr2 files and get cr2hdr working.

I just wrote up something http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7645

REDcineX

Silkway

oh yeah indeed!
there is a green stuff going on on canon 50d dual iso...

and i dont know if it is suitable hmm...

in some way its not so bad of course

but would be nice to see the solution...

Francis

SenorClean

Working great on my 6D - well done all!

If you look closely in extreme areas you can see some fringing/jaggies/moire - see my 100% crop here -> http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3097/tbje.jpg

BUT it is a small price to pay for the results.

ilguercio

Which ISO did you set in camera and which in ML menu?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

REDcineX

Aww..

"-bash: cr2hdr: command not found"

To back track a little further. When I do this line and of course the same line for raw2dng:
"Type 'make' then 'sudo ln -s cr2hdr /usr/bin/cr2hdr'."

Terminal says: "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop."

1%

Download/build it. and run ./cr2hdr

600D photo mode is working. 600D has real iso 3200. LV too.

I can make inside the raw_rec and dual_iso module folder and modules + binaries come out.

REDcineX

The only other thing I might have done wrong was download the toolchain (mac version), renamed it gcc, and placed it inside the magic-lantern folder in Downloads. I used all your commands, Francis, after that to keep it consistent.

Francis

Sounds like you weren't in the right folder to build cr2hdr. You have to be in the directory containing the dual ISO code. It is in magic-lantern/modules/dual_iso

REDcineX

When I type "./magic-lantern/modules/dual_iso"
Terminal replies "-bash: ./magic-lantern/modules/dual_iso: is a directory"

I type "make" after cd to /dual_iso
Terminal replies "[ GCC      ]   cr2hdr
[ GCC      ]   cr2hdr
[ GCC      ]   cr2hdr
~/Downloads/magic-lantern/gcc/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.3  -Os -mthumb-interwork -march=armv5te -D__ARM__ -Wp,-MMD,./dual_iso.d -Wp,-MT,dual_iso.o -nostdlib -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -I../../include  -Wall -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-unused-function -Wno-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-format -Wdouble-promotion -ffast-math -fno-trapping-math -fsingle-precision-constant -fshort-double -std=gnu99 -Winline -I../../platform/all -I../../platform/all/include -I../../src -I../../picoc   -DMODULE -DMODULE_NAME=dual_iso    -c -o dual_iso.o dual_iso.c
/bin/sh: /Users/Admin/Downloads/magic-lantern/gcc/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.3: No such file or directory

I enter "sudo ln -s cr2hdr /usr/bin/cr2hdr"
Terminal responds "ln: /usr/bin/cr2hdr: File exists"

sletts02

I know previously we said that 'auto' video mode would not be possible with dual iso as iso changes were needed.

Is it possible to have dual iso with 'auto video' exposure mode, but just changing shutter-speed/aperture? This would be a massive, massive help for my line of work!

In other news, my 5D3 arrived today! Just waiting for Transcend 1000x to arrive on Monday now.