Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sletts02

Is there any reason for no video examples?
Not being rude, just wondering if there is a technical reason  :)

NateVolk

Probably I'm doing it wrong, but I haven't gotten any good video samples yet....  I'll try again today :)

ShootingStars

I can't tell the difference between this and HDR from the photos POV, not the technical aspect POV. Anyone mind telling me?  :D

Canon eos m

Quote from: ShootingStars on August 07, 2013, 04:39:49 AM
I can't tell the difference between this and HDR from the photos POV, not the technical aspect POV. Anyone mind telling me?  :D

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0

Read the pdf embedded towards the very end of the very first post by A1ex.

Dual_ISO is HDR on steroids - literally. While the results may appear similar since it is bonding of different EV's as is the case with HDR. But that is where the similarity ends.

Conceptually, both come from different planets. For a good HDR yeild, you would need more a few photos  with the same output at different EV's (3 or 3+ is ideal). For Dual_ISO, all the action happens on the same picture but in alternating horizontal lines - each alternate bright horizontal line holds the highlights; and the underexposed ones hold the shadows (pulled up to a point where the overall picture is correctly exposed). To acheive this each line representing the highlights and shadows are drawn from two different ISO's (hence the name Dual_ISO).

The results are stunning. The camera easily handles RAW/ CR2 in Dual_ISO mode. The grain is superb and unlike the sensor noise you would get on a normal RAW frame process to pull up the shadows in post. The range you get is about DR (14-16bit) - basically a 3 EV stop improvement. This functionalilty works both on photo and video.   

My take on this is simple. For normal situations shoot normal. For abnormal situations shoot Dual_ISO.

Plus, the grain is something to die for.

Just look out for the grain on this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89977905@N05/9449868520/
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

ShootingStars

Thanks for the explanation!  :) Will go test it out in abnormal situations.

xmd5a

I think it is better to cut 2 or 3 pixel lines/rows on top and left side.

optik

Is there a thread somewhere explaining how to do this through wine for us Mac users or maybe I am missing something im stuck  ???
I am using August 2 build from lourenco. I've also read that Son of Batch for Mac now supports dual ISO is that for video only?
Also I will be shooting a wedding this weekend and would love to use this feature , that being said the only thing that I have besides the Mac Pro is a laptop that has XP on it and every time I try to drag a file on the app it opens then closes.  :-\
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm F4, Canon 50mm F1.4, Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AI-s, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro FX, 2 Lexar 1000x 64GB, Kumputer Bay 1000x 64GB, FCPX, Nuke, Modo, AE,
DaVinci

a1ex

Another update regarding aliased areas, for cr2hdr_exp.exe. This time I've tried a very difficult shot - the CR2 from daancalo2013:

cr2hdr from first post:

previous cr2hdr_exp:

today's update:

Still not perfect, but I doubt it can get much better than this.

Pixel peeping is pretty hard, who'd like to run some tests to make sure it handles pretty much everything better than the older one?

Rai2121

Hello everyone,

I've been following all the recent developments with the ML team over the last few months, trying to read everything there is. It's a really exciting time for Canon DSLR owners and I want to give a huge thanks to all the developers for their hard work bring this to all of us common folk.

Here are some examples of a few Dual ISO shots that I've taken so far on my 7D. These are both 100/1600. I'm still trying to get the hang of it, but it is an amazing feature.

I'm using the cr2hdr.exe from A1ex's Reply #469

sletts02

Itching itching itching to see video samples. My line of work is interior real estate video and if it means reliable high dynamic range to compensate for the interior and exterior then I am sold on getting a 5D mkiii  ;D

weigertj

Hi a1ex,

Just an idea...
would it be possible or practical to emulate a graduated ND filter in a new dual ISO mode? Let's say the top 1/3 of the image is in ISO 100, the bottom 2/3 is in ISO 800/1600, etc. You could move up and down the transition line with the joystick and the transition could be hard or soft (variable). You could emulate even a reverse ND for sunset shooting.
This would be a great advantage for landscape photographers who use filters to reach the proper results. And in this case we wouldn't have to deal with resolution loss and aliasing, etc. Only the transition area could be more problematic by using alternating lines of ISOs as today. So basically we would narrow down the usage of the current dual ISO mode with alternating lines to a small horizontal segment of the image, while the other parts of the image would be in 2 different ISOs.
I am curious about your thoughts on this.

Great work, anyway!

sletts02

Quote from: weigertj on August 08, 2013, 01:15:02 AM
Hi a1ex,

Just an idea...
would it be possible or practical to emulate a graduated ND filter in a new dual ISO mode? Let's say the top 1/3 of the image is in ISO 100, the bottom 2/3 is in ISO 800/1600, etc. You could move up and down the transition line with the joystick and the transition could be hard or soft. You could emulate even a reverse ND for sunset shooting.
This would be a great advantage for landscape photographers who use filters to reach the proper results. And in this case we wouldn't have to deal with any resolution loss and aliasing, etc. Only the (soft) transition are could be more problematic with using alternating lines of ISOs.  I am curious about your thoughts on this.

Great work, anyway!

That would be amazing!

On another note, I am tossing up between the 5D2 and 5D3 at the moment. Will the Dual ISO ever come to the 5D2?

weigertj

Quote from: sletts02 on August 08, 2013, 01:26:28 AM
That would be amazing!

On another note, I am tossing up between the 5D2 and 5D3 at the moment. Will the Dual ISO ever come to the 5D2?

Unfortunately only the 5D3 and 7D have the hardver for it, it's impossible on other models. Go for the 5D3!  ;)

ted ramasola

Hi a1ex,

Just an idea...
would it be possible or practical to emulate a graduated ND filter in a new dual ISO mode? Let's say the top 1/3 of the image is in ISO 100, the bottom 2/3 is in ISO 800/1600, etc. You could move up and down the transition line with the joystick and the transition could be hard or soft (variable). You could emulate even a reverse ND for sunset shooting.
This would be a great advantage for landscape photographers who use filters to reach the proper results. And in this case we wouldn't have to deal with resolution loss and aliasing, etc. Only the transition area could be more problematic by using alternating lines of ISOs as today. So basically we would narrow down the usage of the current dual ISO mode with alternating lines to a small horizontal segment of the image, while the other parts of the image would be in 2 different ISOs.

Great work, anyway!

its been asked already.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6335.msg50620#msg50620
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

sletts02

Quote from: weigertj on August 08, 2013, 01:39:06 AM
Unfortunately only the 5D3 and 7D have the hardver for it, it's impossible on other models. Go for the 5D3!  ;)

Well that settles that. There was a 5D2 with battery grip/batteries for $1100AUD. But I think the extra $2200AUD will be worth this feature if it's stable and workable.

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

NateVolk

@optik re: running on xp

I don't know why, but to run on xp, you have to right click and open with. Otherwise it doesn't work. Also, we can't batch by dragging onto, makes processing a bunch of images a giant pain...

Audionut

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 08, 2013, 01:45:11 AM
its been asked already.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6335.msg50620#msg50620

It's a different question.

Instead of scanning alternate lines, scan the top half (1/3rd whatever) at ISO whatever, scan the rest at another ISO.  Make it graduated too ;)

a1ex mentioned that he is only tweaking a register (for dual-ISO).  There isn't enough hardware control (currently) to adjust the scanning procedure.

@Canon eos m
You could try downloading it and looking at the timestamps!

NateVolk

Quote from: sletts02 on August 08, 2013, 12:04:18 AM
Itching itching itching to see video samples. My line of work is interior real estate video and if it means reliable high dynamic range to compensate for the interior and exterior then I am sold on getting a 5D mkiii  ;D

Me too, if you find any good samples, post them up!  I haven't gotten it worth selling. Yet :)

dubzeebass

Quote from: NateVolk on August 08, 2013, 03:19:34 AM
Me too, if you find any good samples, post them up!  I haven't gotten it worth selling. Yet :)

Here you go! http://bit.ly/11NFGnh

optik

Quote from: NateVolk on August 08, 2013, 03:17:44 AM
@optik re: running on xp

I don't know why, but to run on xp, you have to right click and open with. Otherwise it doesn't work. Also, we can't batch by dragging onto, makes processing a bunch of images a giant pain...

I guess I do have the option to install and run boot camp Windows or should I just use something like parallels or VMware
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm F4, Canon 50mm F1.4, Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AI-s, Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro FX, 2 Lexar 1000x 64GB, Kumputer Bay 1000x 64GB, FCPX, Nuke, Modo, AE,
DaVinci

eduperez

Hi a1ex,

Just an idea...

Great work, anyway!

You can always emulate a GND from a "properly" (no highlights blown out) photograph in the computer; problem is that raising the shadows produces too much noise. But now that you can have files with a massive dynamic range, it is probably worthy trying again. At the end of the day, the results are going to be roughly the same, and much more versatile.

Danne

@Alex
Latest cr2hdr seems to be the best so far. I,m really impressed. Comparison as follows. These are crops to emphasize on defects and improvements.
Beta(first converter)
beta0.1(next one)
beta0.2(latest converter, also the best one)

beta

beta01

beta0.2(compare the bottom of the sign)

beta

beta0.1

beta0.2(pay attention to the right arm)

weigertj

Quote from: eduperez on August 08, 2013, 11:38:56 AM
You can always emulate a GND from a "properly" (no highlights blown out) photograph in the computer; problem is that raising the shadows produces too much noise. But now that you can have files with a massive dynamic range, it is probably worthy trying again. At the end of the day, the results are going to be roughly the same, and much more versatile.

I will definitely will try to shoot a sunset landscape in dual ISO. Expose for the sky in ISO 100 and bring up the shadows in post.

hookah

Gooooddd work Alex !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
I,m VERY impressed..
5D3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4 + 100mm 2.8 macro + 15mm