Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Basically, what needs to have full detail or it's likely to get aliasing must be covered by both ISOs. In LiveView, check the exposure with both ISO values and zebras.

In these cases, less extreme settings like 100/400 should be very helpful.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: a1ex on August 03, 2013, 07:58:58 AM
Basically, what needs to have full detail or it's likely to get aliasing must be covered by both ISOs. In LiveView, check the exposure with both ISO values and zebras.

In these cases, less extreme settings like 100/400 should be very helpful.

Indeed, thank you, will try more pic's.

I think with the silent picture burst in the 7D (the beginning of raw=) it will be more easy... if we get the ETTR working, no?

a1ex

ETTR should be already working. Be careful though - with dual ISO it exposes for the least amount of noise and ignores moire.

hamishniven

Awesome news.
Ok, for the dumbo here, how do I use the CR2toHDR.exe file?
Is there any documentation as I'm a photographer not a programmer.

Thanks

pit3k

Quote from: hamishniven on August 03, 2013, 11:28:11 AM
Awesome news.
Ok, for the dumbo here, how do I use the CR2toHDR.exe file?
Is there any documentation as I'm a photographer not a programmer.

Thanks

Drag and drop cr2 files to the cr2tohdr.exe.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: a1ex on August 03, 2013, 11:09:33 AM
ETTR should be already working. Be careful though - with dual ISO it exposes for the least amount of noise and ignores moire.

Massive!!!

But do you know if the ETTR are in the new version of Pelican? For now we just got the silent burst pictures, almost 2 seconds of video.

Going post a video with that in the 7D treat.

a1ex

If it's not, copy it from some other nightly. Modules are portable by design.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: a1ex on August 03, 2013, 12:23:28 PM
If it's not, copy it from some other nightly. Modules are portable by design.

Alright, super duper easy  :D 

arrinkiiii

@A1ex

I have download the 5DII ETTR module from https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads (the first zip file), this is correct?

Also have the autoexpo.mo, it will work in the 7D?

a1ex

I'm experimenting with some algorithms that should handle aliasing a bit better. Here's an experimental cr2hdr: http://acoutts.com/a1ex/cr2hdr_exp.exe

Can you compare it with the one from first post? I'm interested especially in cases where the old converter gets better results.

Main difference: in aliased areas I use chroma blur (luma is no longer blurred), and the algorithm uses a stronger bias towards full-resolution mode (which is only possible in midtones, where the subject is covered by both ISOs).

Here are my before and after samples (CR2's from Danne). Click for full-res jpegs:

For 100% aliasing-free results, don't forget to cover your main subject with both ISOs. There's no other way.

Danne

Wow! Big difference in aliasing. I,ll try some comparisons conversions soon. On the road...

robinlee

Hi all, newbie here but I have done all the installations... on some test shots I've done, when viewing at 100% I can see some horizontal lines as opposed to normal exposed images. Is there any reason for this?

I tried cr2hdr.exe but seems that the converter does nothing just open and close in 1/2 secs... any thoughts?

Here is a sample, this is 100% crop, exposed to highlight to prevent pink/magenta at highlight area, dual ISO 100/1600...

_38A6284 by Robin SS Lee, on Flickr

Thanks
Robin

arrinkiiii

Quote from: robinlee on August 03, 2013, 06:11:36 PM
Hi all, newbie here but I have done all the installations... on some test shots I've done, when viewing at 100% I can see some horizontal lines as opposed to normal exposed images. Is there any reason for this?

I tried cr2hdr.exe but seems that the converter does nothing just open and close in 1/2 secs... any thoughts?

Thanks
Robin

The lines is the interlaced ISO. You need to "de-interlaced" using cr2hdr.exe

Put the cr2hdr.exe in the same folder that your pictures. Click and drag the pictures to the cr2hdr.exe and you are done. It will create the DNG files.

Read the first post... and the rest of it.

Danne

Keep the folder with the cr2 with no spaces, short name otherwise it won,t convert.

robinlee

Shield

Shot some raw video today and when unpacking with the raw2dng.exe it gets about halfway and then:

"Error: mallocixels"

E:\RAW\5>raw2dng m03-2004.raw
Resolution  : 1920 x 1080
Frames      : 881
Frame size  : 3629056 bytes
FPS         : 23.976
Black level : 2079
White level : 15000
Processing frame 1 of 881...
Vertical stripes correction:
  1.000  1.000  1.009  0.970  0.987  0.997  0.985  1.036

ISO pattern    : ddBB
Interpolation  : mean23-vsmooth3-contrast
ISO difference : 6.03 EV (6516)
Black delta    : 89
ISO overlap    : 3.0 EV (approx)
Processing frame 494 of 881... [HDR BBdd]Error: mallocixels]

Any ideas?

5d3, Aug 2 build.

Shield

Figured it out - was using "Bachelor" to unpack the raw files, and it had an older version of Dcraw.exe in it.  Problem fixed.

melihozbek

Hi, I am ashamed to ask this as a software developer, but I couldn't manage to get the modules menu on 7D.. What did I do wrong?

1. I downloaded the ML from http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/17248a00956f1e932457094756b2a3ba/magiclantern_7D_203_Alpha2.zip
2. I downloaded modifications from the post #1 of this thread. ANd put modules in ML/MODULES folder.
3. I managed to get the ML Menu but no Dual Iso module, or menu.

Sorry to interrupt  :(

Danne

There is a thread specific for the 7D. Try the search function

Canon eos m

For 100% aliasing-free results, don't forget to cover your main subject with both ISOs. There's no other way.

@A1ex: Downloaded the ch2hdr exp version. The results are much better. Don't understand what you mean by "don't forget to cover your main subject with both ISOs"
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

a1ex

For full resolution and no moire, you should have detail with both ISOs.  Where one of them gets clipped, you will get half-resolution. If the subject doesn't have fine detail, half-resolution will not be noticeable; but if it has, you will get moire.

In shadows, this is less of a problem; you still have detail in both ISOs, but one of them has too much noise. That detail is usually enough to reduce aliasing, and the algorithm takes care of that. In highlights, if it's clipped, there's zero detail, so you just can't bring back the missing lines.

So, you have to be careful what is covered by both ISOs (OK) and what is covered by only one (risk of moire).

Try zebras with the higher ISO in LiveView: if the main subject is not overexposed, should be OK. Background highlights can be overexposed; if they are not too sharp (e.g. clouds), you will not see the aliasing at all.

This should also help: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/84d446e1e06487fdf9a6cd1e3969ac717c84651c

jaybirch

any chance of the new algorithm working with RAW2DNG too?