Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

premini

Hi guys, ive installed the dual iso distro on 7/19 and, for some clips i am getting this error in the raw2dng conversion:: "Bright/dark detection error"

if (is_bright[0] + is_bright[1] + is_bright[2] + is_bright[3] != 2)
    {
        printf("Bright/dark detection error\n");
        return 0;
    }

Looking at the code it seems that the algorithm finds clipped brights in both ISOs and returns with an error, but im just guessing.
Is there something i can do to save those videos since raw2dng is leaving the frames "interlaced"?
Thanks!

feureau

Quote from: Audionut on July 25, 2013, 03:00:39 AM
I've uploaded a 7D build here.

I have no idea if it works, or if it will make your camera explode.  I merely built the source.
I don't even know which modules will work.  Obviously Dual_ISO should.

No warranty is implied or otherwise.  If your house burns down, you're on your own.

No warranty noted.

How do I install this? The latest 7D Alpha 2 has no modules.

Audionut

Quote from: feureau on July 25, 2013, 04:50:22 AM
No warranty noted.

How do I install this? The latest 7D Alpha 2 has no modules.

Create a module folder inside the ML folder.  Copy everything except the autoexec.bin file to the module folder.

There doesn't appear to be a devkit released for the 7D.  I'm pretty sure you might need this first, and that's out of my hands. See here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3974.msg61662#msg61662

arrinkiiii

Quote from: mucher on July 25, 2013, 04:58:45 AM
I guess that I am one of those "luna"s.  I load Audionut's autoexec.bin with Alpha 2 into 7D, nothing happens. I mean really nothing, the ML didn't load into camera. I download everything in Audionut's 7D build directory and put them all in CF card's root directory. And start up the camera again. Nothing happens, again. I don't visually see that my camera is damaged neither.

@a1ex
@1%
@g3gg0

It's not possible to do nothing for we trie the Dual ISO on the 7D ?

Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement for 5D3 and 7D

Canon eos m

I am having an awesome time doing after dark street photography with the new dual iso stuff.

Struggling a bit with video though since the files are heavy and rendering takes a lot of time. I have developed a sort of work around to get a better preview of the files before these are sent to raw2dng.

I bascially, first secure a preview on rawnaizar.exe. This tells me the files I want to work with first. The ones that I mark out, I copy to my harddisk and breakout in raw2dng_whitefix.exe. Then the files are directly sent to AE CS6 to render.

A few photo samples shot yesterday and processed exclusively on ACR 8.1:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89977905@N05/9360108468/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89977905@N05/9360245550/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89977905@N05/9357757481/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89977905@N05/9360352442/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89977905@N05/9357878171/

Must have shot the Mapletree signage a million time since it is on my way back home from office. Nothing special ever came out of it till I met Mr. Dual Iso. Rest is history as they say.

I am really proud of the red cup picture. This was a transparent discarded plastic glass lying on a bed of fallen leaves. There was not much reflected light. Mr. Dual Iso came to my rescure. I then exposed the picture in ACR 8.1 and coloured the glass red so that it could standout. ACR 8.1 is now capable of much more with Mr. Dual Iso coming to its aid. They should now call this ACR 801.1 or something since the new functionality is a game changer. Thanks to all developers and a special bow of respect to A1ex.

Tell me what you folks think.

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Canon eos m

Could someone please teach me how to upload the picture directly on the magiclantern forum rather than pasting a link.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Walter Schulz

[img]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5510/9360108468_2404c0c2e8_h.jpg[/img]

Ciao, Walter

Audionut

You will need to link a thumbnail so that the embeded image size is less then 900 pixels as per the forum rules.

Any further discussion about image linking should go in this thread please.

Canon eos m

Quote from: Audionut on July 25, 2013, 07:55:41 AM
You will need to link a thumbnail so that the embeded image size is less then 900 pixels as per the forum rules.

Any further discussion about image linking should go in this thread please.

Thanks everyone. Audionet noted. 

Canon eos m

This shot was taken keeping the bright sun in the frame. Post processed in ACR 8.1.

Canon eos m

Danne

@Alex. Trying to understand dual iso and movie mode. WHen taking pictures I get noisefree cr2 files however when filming with the exact same settings I can,t get the same results after conversion. Am I doing something wrong? Providing a link to the movie clip and some comparisons.
Settings on camera was manual mode shutter 1/50 dual iso 200-6400. Magic lantern 22nd juli build

Link movie 0,5s
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirQmtHenZNbTNkVU0/edit?usp=sharing

example still

example movie

Danne

@Alex. Found out what was going on sort of. By reversing the dual iso from 100-6400 to 6400-100 the conversion tool "gets it right" in moviemode. I believe it does some kind of inverted conversion right now. A bug? Tested a short clip with magic lantern from 16th juli, same problem.

example 200-6400 (regular)

example 6400-200 (reversed)

jaybirch

By reversing, do you mean you set the camera's ISO to 6400 and the ML ISO to 200?

Or something in the raw2dng settings?

Danne

I set the camera to the higher iso and then proceed to the dual-iso settings. There I see to it that the higher iso is to the left and the lower to the right. One way or the other, If the other one does,nt work try reversed :)

dadinio13

raw2dng.exe stop extracting frames at frame 493 with all raw files i had tested.
anyones noticed that?

Canon eos m

Quote from: Canon eos m on July 23, 2013, 03:42:13 AM
A1ex - I understand that the dual functionality is in development stages and hence most of the stuff will be things only developers can play with or comprehend. I am not a techie but try to keep up.

Have the raw2dng figured out thanks to Mixer2 and 1% from their contributions on the EOS M forum. Mixer2 has us really spoilt with his video casts and detailed explainations and steps.

Have the dual iso working on my 5D Mark III. Loving it.

Struggling to understand a major step. If I want to record in 100 /800 iso which one should I set on camera and which on the ML interface?

I first tried 100 on the camera and 800 on ML. But get better results if I do it the other way around. Is that the way this is supposed to work? Doing it the 800/100 way gives me better histogram accuracy and highlight /shadow feedback while recording.

I agree with Danne. Precisely my observation. Pointed this to A1ex. He asked for samples but could not produce any since I was travelling.

sebamax

Danne

What did you notice? Why didn,t you film in 1920x1080p?

sebamax

Hi,
in 24p more flicker
in 25p no flicker
I filmed in 1920X1080

Danne

kinematicdigit

How did you compile this? I'm using gcc and getting all sorts of errors?

Quote from: ap1hk on July 22, 2013, 03:28:31 AM
Thanks.
1. Yes, autoISO with fixed recovery ISO or fixed ISO with relative ISO both okay. Just to report the combo I find not working.
2. IC. Thx.
3. I am using Mac OS and I compile cr2hdr myself. I found that the my exiftool is a perl interface to Image::ExifTool. There is no error message from stdout of cr2hdr, e.g.

Input file     : 5D3_6476.CR2
Full size      : 5920 x 3950
Active area    : 5796 x 3870
Black borders  : 124 left, 80 top
ISO pattern    : dBBd RGGB
Interpolation  : mean23-vsmooth3-contrast
ISO difference : 2.97 EV (784)
Black delta    : 2
ISO overlap    : 6.0 EV (approx)
Hot pixels     : 1055692
Output file    : 5D3_6476.DNG
    1 image files updated

For conversion log, do you mean those tmp.txt at conversion?
I will check if exiftool really work later.

Danne

One more comparison. This time between raw and dual-iso in movie-mode. two extracted dng,s from raw and dual-iso raw-moviefiles. Even if dual-iso benefits most from high contrast scenes there is still one or two steps better dynamic range with dual-iso even in more evenly lit situations. Pretty amazing since regular raw is already amazingly good.

Original raw 1600 iso

Original dual-iso 6400-1600 iso

Original raw processed in lightroom

Original dual-iso processed in lightroom

Cropped orignal raw flattened to show iso-grain

Cropped original dual-iso to show iso-grain

IliasG

@ Danne,

Can you upload the RAWs of this last comparison please.

I think something is badly wrong with the single-ISO sample.