Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_overseas

That's the nature of dual-ISO, you need to lift the shadows in post to obtain your end result. Normally lifting shadows this deep results in a lot of noise, but a dual-ISO image has increased dynamic range and hence the shadows are much cleaner. Here's what I get with after dragging a couple of sliders in Lightroom for your image - note the relatively clean shadows combined with retention of highlight detail:

EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

a1ex

Quote from: emayd on March 11, 2017, 07:26:30 AM
seems something wrong with bright extraction. Here is snapshot of bright.dng after processing in debug mode.

Looks OK to me - the debug DNGs are saved after the two sub-images are matched in brightness (that is, the bright image is darkened to match the low-iso one).

From help:

dark.dng        the low-ISO exposure, interpolated
    bright.dng      the high-ISO exposure, interpolated and darkened

emayd

Quote from: chris_overseas on March 11, 2017, 09:39:57 AM
... Here's what I get with after dragging a couple of sliders in Lightroom ...

I haven't LightRoom - I have Adobe PS. I've used file utility: cr2hdr.exe

Is there any possibility to process without LR?

Walter Schulz

emayd

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 11, 2017, 10:39:20 AM
Lightroom sliders are present in Camera RAW.

Does LR plugin works in PS? or where I can found PS plugin for Windows, and how to install it in PS?
Does it enough to copy cr2hdr LR plugin  files in PS plugin directory?

Danne

Camera raw sliders are present in both lightroom and photoshop ;).
Simply doubleclick your dng. It should open up in camera raw.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: emayd on March 11, 2017, 01:12:20 PM
Does LR plugin works in PS?

LR and PS do have a very different design there. Plug-ins are incompatible.

PaaLadin

Good afternoon. I have a problem - when converting several hundred files taken from DUALISO among which come in the usual way - they get out the "doesn't look like interlaced iso" sign and the process stops before clicking OK. How to make sure that such files are skipped automatically, without confirmation, so that I do not have to spend several hours sitting at the computer.

Tnx.

a1ex

If you can click OK, that means you are using a GUI wrapper to do the conversion. In this case, please ask in the relevant forum thread for the GUI you are using.

The command-line tool already skips unrecognized files without confirmation.

Marsu42

Oh not, I've been using the old 7d1 for some time now to expand dynamic range of the old-ish sensor, and just discovered that with 800/100 setting there are still stripes after cr2hdr processing :-( ... obviously the algo has trouble telling noise from stripes. I've even discovered some shots from my good ol' 60d affected by this problem.

Strangely,  the old 14 bit algo does better, leaving more of the 7d1's vertical noise stripes in the sky instead of dual_iso's horizontal stripes. But even the old algo doesn't do as I'd expect it to.

... 14bit:

... 20bit:

I'll pm the source cr2 to alex or anyone wanting to help, pretty please, don't tell me these shots are broken :-(((

Danne

Coming from here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg183053#msg183053

deafeyejedi
Has anyone notice an issue re: Dual-ISO 14-bit lossless MLV seems to be spitting out with correct black levels but incorrect for original 14-bit MLV's. Could this be related to the new mlv_dump not corresponding properly to cr2hdr or at least confused with each other atm?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50068152@N05/33870168051

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50068152@N05/33842109492
QuoteAnyway here are some short samples in two of each (138 MB spat out w ease from latest cr2hdr.app -- Thanks @Danne!) and all shot within crop_rec @ 3.5k: https://mega.nz/#!OwV2DTLC!rb39cVOrAlXXuSer2M6fw3vSuvMfiSG508hewIQJvmg

Answer:
I checked your four provided examples. Nice to see compressed files processes fine. Your last two uncompressed 14bit files. The last of the two works fine but the other one is giving incorrect black level(M12-1330.MLV). Probably concidental or can you reproduce this issue?

theBilalFakhouri

I Have problem with Canon 700D
when i turn on dual iso module automatically ISOless LV err(8 ) appear on screen

and the module do not work anymore
WHY THIS HAPPENING ?
any Ideas? a1ex  >:(
kidding i love you  :D but i need solution plz  :'(

Klick

I suppose I'm just too stupid or something: I've just installed the latest ML build an my 6D (Firmware 1.16) but there's no Dual ISO option in the Expo menu? Did I forget something?

Thanks

R

Editing this image I noticed a kind of ghost pattern at the bottom that seems to come from the wood table. Is this known and normal?

5D Mark II 2.1.2, Lr 6.7, Dual ISO plugin 3.0-170316-02

image hosting

a1ex

R

--no-stripe-fix softens the problem but creates new stripes through all the image clearly visible in dark areas.

Here's the original Dual ISO RAW download link:
https://www.amazon.es/clouddrive/share/bg65hvtYaeodNzBKjIODaOb9KuBam1sSEYdZg53b7sC

a1ex

Gracias, will take a closer look later. The problem is likely from the ISO matching routine (ideas welcome).

R

Another example of stripes appearing after cr2hdr. In this case stripes appear in a column about 50px wide in the left third of the image.

Here's the link to the Dual ISO RAW, unfortunately I don't keep the original RAW, just the processed after cr2hdr:
https://www.amazon.es/clouddrive/share/3DjuCaSJLRcLTcP9oKvgjrdH4Hx7PLr9Vwub8q90rTv

ganselm

Hi guys,

not sure whether this is the right forum or better in the scripting area:

I would like to automatically capture three images in a row:

A Dual ISO with fixed ISO values, then another image with deactivated Dual ISO and low ISO and then the latter with the high ISO. I.e. three images with fixed aperture and exposure etc., but changed ISO and activated and then deactivated Dual ISO.

Did anyone try that out already or can give me a hint on how to script that?

Thanks a lot!

a1ex

With the lua_fix experimental build, it's as simple as:

-- Dual ISO bracket

menu.set("Expo", "Dual ISO", 1)
camera.iso = 100
menu.set("Dual ISO", "Recovery ISO", "1600")
msleep(500) -- fixme - settings are not applied right away
camera.shoot()

menu.set("Expo", "Dual ISO", 0)
msleep(500) -- fixme - settings are not applied right away

camera.iso = 100
camera.shoot()

camera.iso = 1600
camera.shoot()

Danne

Hm, really got to dive into lua. I´d like to build a script that records 2 seconds of MLV of every iso on the camera and when done exits the scripts. I´d use the files for darkframe storage workflows.