Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johannsebastianbach

Quote from: Danne on March 11, 2015, 03:11:51 PM
Hi!
There,s one thing puzzling me with dual iso RAW and MLV. I compared the formats recording with a recent build, (about two weeks old, don,t have my camera here)

WHen shooting RAW all is fine giving me a file a little darker as expected. WHen shooting with exact same settings with MLV the file is brighter after postprocessing. It,s like it,s inverted? Am I doing an obvious mistake here?
examples shot in 100/1600 3x crop mode. Same result when shooting non crop mode. Will upload RAW/MLV examples if needed. (Short ones).

Converted with latest cr2hdr20bit build Last update: cc4340b on 2015-03-01 23:16:03 UTC by a1ex:.
The same goes for the former build. Shot with a 5d mark 3, firmware 1.1.3

DNG files
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirYWl6WmF2ME9laWM/view?usp=sharing
3x crop RAW 100/1600

3x crop MLV 100/1600

Hello!
Not sure, if it is the same issue, but I ran some tests and also saw, that the MLV - in comparison to a RAW- appears brighter after conversion. It does an amazing job in the shadows, but crops out the highlights (or is this expected? [I'm a noob]).

5DMK3 Nightly.2015Mar16.5D3113

MLV ISO 200 (no sharpening or noise reduction)

MLV DUAL ISO 100–1600 Conversion by cr2hdr-r (no sharpening or noise reduction)

Thank's in advance.

Danne

The brightness problem was due to me copying the orignal whitelevel setting to the created dual iso file with exiftool. RAW and MLV probably are identical in terms of quality and brightness. I fixed this issue a while ago. It was only affecting dual iso movie files.

johannsebastianbach

Oh okay, I just found out my fault. Apparently it was the DUAL ISO conversion of cr2hdr-r.

I just used the Lightroom plugin and voilà!

Danne

johannsebastianbach

Hello Danne :)

I conversed a dual-iso .DNG two ways. Once with cr2hdr-r_5.3u_s(beta), and once with the Lightroom Plugin.

At the beginning, I overlooked, that the Lightroom settings were totally different and thought it is clipping so much, sorry for that. But in the end, in comparison of the two DNGs with the same settings there is still a difference. the cr2hdr-r appears to be 0,4 stops brighter and the Lighroom dual iso conversion seems to be slightly detailed.

Here the comparison. Especially at the "m" letter.
For some reason the Lightroom-way has more detail, but also increases chromatic aberration?

Lightroom dual-iso plugin

cr2hdr-r_5.3u_s(beta)

Danne

Did you update to A1ex latest version? I run the binary on default settings. Work for most scenarios.  Thanks for info.

DavidSamish

Hi,

I'm a Magic Lantern user on my T3 and now a 70D. I've been trying out the March 14 ML and I'm getting used to it. The problem I'm having is converting CR2 dual iso files to something usable.

I use a Mac with Yosemite, Lightroom 5, Photoshop CS6. I downloaded cr2hdr, in many versions including cr2hdr-r 1.8 app and 5.3u s, and the Lightroom plugin. I haven't been able to get anything to work. The programs either don't recognize the file type, don't do anything or put out a error message.

Help, please.

David

dmilligan

And that error message says what? Can you upload a sample CR2?

Audionut

The 70D needs a custom cr2hdr.  Look in the opening post of the 70D thread.

DavidSamish

@dmilligan: errors like "Error to Export ...Error #256", here's a CR2: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fhlcx2pin540ksp/AACv2BFb9tPWzDUWgA-GJ_LEa?dl=0

@Audionut: that's a .exe file and I don't have Lightroom for Windows.

DavidSamish

@Audionut: I have Parallels with Windows 7. When I double try to open the cr2hdr.exe for the 70D a black dialog box with white letters flashes open, then disappears.

Audionut

Worked fine here:  http://i.imgur.com/OFWCnjq.jpg

I think @Danne can build mac versions.  A polite PM might net you an mac version.  However, the 70D is still in alpha status, so don't expect miracles.

DavidSamish

Wow. So cutting edge and nerdy!  8) No wonder I couldn't get it to work, it wasn't invented yet. That could also explain the problems I've been having with MLV files. I'm sure looking forward to the Mac friendly w/ Yosemite, LR 5, 70D nightly build.

Never done a PM on this forum before, either; I feel like the whale in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

So excited to use ML for increasing the DR through dual iso, also amazed at the ETTR and RAW video possibilities.

I'll be glad to provide feedback to support the developers. As I use ML I'll be better at making suggestions.

Thanks for everybodys' help.

Update:  Thanks Danne, and others, for working with me with instructions and script to get the dual iso CR2s processed on my Mac! Onward to dual iso and RAW video!

Danne

Hi!
It seems color matrices are fully missing from 70D when transcoding from CR2 to DNG with cr2hdr20bit.
You could run this script on the files after they are converted to DNG. (Not on the CR2 files). Put the script in the same location as your DNG files and double click.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfirSTNNeV9JLXBkMms/view?usp=sharing

It will use exiftool to insert the correct color matrices.
If there,s any new cr2hdr version to compile I got all help from N/A on this. Hope this helps at least temporarily.

Looking at the transcoding log it says

"Input file      : ./DSP20150327-00007.CR2
No camera model found with id 0x325"

/D

Danne

ciriuss925

Hello guys, I just installed the ML Alpha4b firmware in my 70D - and been trying to test DualISO.  I am using Mac for post-processing.  So I have cr2hdr.app , dcraw (exec), and exiftool (exec) to be in one directory so I can double click on cr2hdr.app - which brings up a small cr2hdr window - and drag my dualISO CR2 file  into it.

The cr2dhr almost immediately spits out "sh: exiftool: command not found sh: exiftool: command not found" message (yes it printed that message twice) but it did eventually create a DNG file .  I opened up the DNG file in Adobe Camera Raw and it was HORRENDOUS

I would like to share my CR2, the generated DNG file, and the text log generated by the cr2hdr but for some reason I couldn't insert my attachment here - could anyone share how to add attachment to my post here?

Thank you

ciriuss925

Hello guys -  I did try to research on how to do dualISO correctly - so I turned on the dualiso.mo and my DUALISO settings to 100 (on camera)/1600 (on ML), set the aperture and camera to Manual Mode.
I was expecting that all pictures taken under DUALISO would show interlacing lines.  However,  I notice that the shots I took are alternating between a normal ISO image (the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th shot, etc) and the actual dual iso image with those interlacing lines (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th shot,etc).    Is that correct?

I am still trying to figure out how to set the correct aperture for dual ISO so the DNG wouldn't come out so horrid... your inputs will be very much appreciated!

Walter Schulz

Don't alter settings without reading fineprint!
Dual ISO settings [Q] -> Alternate frames only -> OFF

ciriuss925

hi AudioNut and danne -

first of all thank you guys for your tireless assistance in resolving ML issues with 70D - I for one appreciate it very much (as I believe everyone else on here too).

I did try to research on how to do dualISO correctly - so I turned on the dualiso.mo and my DUALISO settings to 100 (on camera)/1600 (on ML), set the aperture and camera to Manual Mode - and take RAW image.   I notice that when taking pictures in dual ISO mode, the shots are alternating between a normal ISO 100 CR2 (the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th shot, etc) and the actual dual iso CR2 image with interlacing lines (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th shot,etc).    Is that correct?  THANK YOU WALTER - I inadvertently changed that setting - now the Alternate Frame is OFF and I see interlaced lines in every image!

I am still trying to figure out how to change my aperture settings - by the way, here is my CR2 with the interlaced lines from my 70D which has really bad noise when I converted to DNG last night:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwB_poTzzVK8RElTQ2Z1R0lndU0/view?usp=sharing

Danne

Hi A1ex! I,m starting to use the lossless compress in cr2hdr20bit after downloading adobe dng converter. It,s very good and it creates half size of both CR2 dual iso and movie files. As usual when it comes to video there is a problem with linear conversion. There is an easy solution to this if implementing the "-l" option in the adobe dng converter command. Could this be updated in coming version perhaps?

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

a1ex

@Danne: not sure what you mean, can you explain the issue in detail?