Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legushka

idea:
cr2hdr + bracketing of 3(2,3,4...n) photos
simultaneously stapled dualiso and N pictures with different exposures
-->Output one dng file

possible to do this?
Canon eos 60d, firmware 1.1.1/sigma 10-20 + ML v2.3.RC2 + Nodal Ninja NN4

a1ex

Take a look here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9581

Main problem: you will need more than 16 bits, so you'll need a floating point DNG. But the only program that can open them is Adobe SDK (not Lightroom nor ACR). In some extreme cases, even the plain dual iso files will push the limit of the 16-bit integer DNGs.

(well, you can also open floating point DNGs with my hacked copy of ufraw, but that's far from a proper solution)

jpaana

Quote from: a1ex on April 14, 2014, 12:26:27 PM
Take a look here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9581

Main problem: you will need more than 16 bits, so you'll need a floating point DNG. But the only program that can open them is Adobe SDK (not Lightroom nor ACR). In some extreme cases, even the plain dual iso files will push the limit of the 16-bit integer DNGs.

(well, you can also open floating point DNGs with my hacked copy of ufraw, but that's far from a proper solution)

Interesting as Lightroom and ACR can definitely open floating point TIFFs (both 16 and 32 bits per component)...

a1ex

I believe it only opens linear (demosaiced) DNGs, but didn't try to output this kind of DNGs yet.

But you can do the conversion with the DNG SDK, as described here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9581.msg92195#msg92195

l_d_allan

Quote from: jpaana on April 17, 2014, 08:48:15 AM
Interesting as Lightroom and ACR can definitely open floating point TIFFs (both 16 and 32 bits per component)...

Is this true for many or most of the LR / ACR versions, or the more recent versions like LR 5.x or ACR 8.x (which share the same "engine").

My impression is that A1ex doesn't use LR / ACR, but I could very well be mistaken on that.

AleXis

I tried DualISO at Canon 5D MArkIII with new ML.
I read before that vertical resolution will be decreased, but I was surprised that all ok with resolution.

HondaATC

Just wanted to share - I used Dual ISO mode outdoors today on a real-estate shoot where you were under a lot of big large oak trees (lots of shadows and dark areas) but the sky was a beautiful bright blue out, and the pictures just came out, so, so awesome. The dynamic range has always been my #1 complaint of my T3i and this seriously has fixed it. Its not over processed looking or anything, it just works awesome.

Not a technical response given the nature of this thread but just wanted to say thank you x9999999  ;D

CaronteGF

Is there any real chance to see Dual-Iso Raw Video on a 7d in the near future?

ToniX

I  played with dual iso for a while, and now  I' am addicted to it.
Few days ago I had the necessity to restore an image of my OS (winxp-Sp3- 32bit).Now  I can't get cr2hdr  working anymore.
I have spent several hours in the last two days downloading and installing a dozen different zip and files from any source I could find on the net. I had re-read a lot of post here, on ML forum, about dual iso.
I j had luck to convert 1 single dual iso image by starting cr2hdr from command line, but processing one file at a time from command, is too boring task.
I also tried Barracuda Gui, but it crash.... 

Possible questions/solutions:
1) do anyone know where to download a working version for win xp? (I'm just guessing it could be an Os dependant issue)
2) is it there some other file required that I'am missing in my OS installation (apart cr2hdr.exe/ dcraw.exe /exiftool.exe?)
3) is it cr2hdr.exe the only tool to process dual iso cr2, or an alternative exist?
4) is it possible to process several files with cr2hdr.exe from command line?

Thanks for any help

(I feel  I'am dumb for asking this, sorry :-(
600D - EFs18-55 ISII

DavidSh

Is there any way to use dual iso and end up with a cdng file?

5d3 1.2.3
mac osx mavericks

Best
David
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

Audionut

Quote from: ToniX on April 27, 2014, 07:22:44 PM
Few days ago I had the necessity to restore an image of my OS (winxp-Sp3- 32bit).Now  I can't get cr2hdr  working anymore.
I have spent several hours in the last two days downloading and installing a dozen different zip and files from any source I could find on the net. I had re-read a lot of post here, on ML forum, about dual iso.

The first post of this thread, contains the latest stable build of cr2hdr for windows. 

You can drag and drop a bunch of files onto the exe, and it will batch convert all of them.

chmee

@a1ex tried it last days the first time, and was a little bit scared of the first converting run. putting here, doin that, getting this.. but in combination with the lr-plugin by kichetof its a nobrainer-oneclick-thing. nobel peace prize 2014 for you and your code and 2015 for kichetof for the one-click-solution. really. now it seems i have to investigate time to code the video-dualISO feature into my converter.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

arturochu

Quote from: chmee on April 28, 2014, 02:06:37 AM
@a1ex tried it last days the first time, and was a little bit scared of the first converting run. putting here, doin that, getting this.. but in combination with the lr-plugin by kichetof its a nobrainer-oneclick-thing. nobel peace prize 2014 for you and your code and 2015 for kichetof for the one-click-solution. really. now it seems i have to investigate time to code the video-dualISO feature into my converter.

finally! glad to hear this!
Chu

ToniX

Quote from: Audionut on April 27, 2014, 10:14:40 PM
The first post of this thread, contains the latest stable build of cr2hdr for windows. 

You can drag and drop a bunch of files onto the exe, and it will batch convert all of them.

Audionut..
...  it doesn't work: cr2hdr just flash and then close when I drag a file on it, while dcraw say that "not valid win32 application" ... (that's strange because dcraw 9.19 is working fine, for istance ), that's make me think is a 64 bit version...

600D - EFs18-55 ISII

Audionut

It works fine here.

Create a new folder on a hard drive.  Extract the contents of the cr2hdr zip to that folder (cr2hdr.exe, dcraw.exe, exiftool.exe).  Don't use any other versions.

Copy a dual_iso file to that folder.

Drag and drop the CR2 over the cr2hdr exe.

What version of windows are you using?

ToniX

:D Audionut, I am investigating why that version (as any other version I could find) it  doesn't work anymore for me (I've got it work before, I am using win xp pro sp3 32 bit).

Beside the fact that cr2hdr.exe just appear and then disappear when I drag a dual iso image on it,  I also noted that the dcraw.exe in this version is not a valid 32bit application, so I can argue it can't work. 

Possible corrupted files?

Recent update

I've got cr2hdr.exe work again, but very strange way...
I dowloaded and installed as many  older dcraw.exe versions from here
http://www.insflug.org/raw/Archives, until cr2hdr started to run....
and now it run perfectly, even if I remove  dcraw.exe ....
does it make sense?
BTW, I'm really happy I can continue shoot dual iso photo. :) :D :D

600D - EFs18-55 ISII

garry23

I really thought I understood Dual-ISO.

'All' I wish to do is A-ETTR to look after the highlight and simply add on a fixed dual that I specify, eg 100/800.

I set midrange and shadow to off in ETTR and dual to on.

I set min shutter to 1/100, but in my experiments shutter is 1/200 via ETTR.

I take an ETTR reading and dual doesn't kick in, ie I get 100/100.

As I say I simply wany dual to always 'add on top of' ETTR.

Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

a1ex

Set dual iso link to off, set recovery iso to +3, done.

garry23

Damn it Alex, you posted before I had a chance to say how stupid my question was :-o)

I realized soon after my post I simply had to decouple the ETTR link to Dual.

As I say, a bad 'ML Monday'.

Cheers

mWaltari

ToniX
I suppose you could have multiple versions and some of them is in"path" so windows will find that.

Search order sarts from same path as default IMHO.

revast

cr2hdr should work out of the box:
In terminal enter:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
hg clone -r unified https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern
cd magic-lantern/modules/dual_iso
make cr2hdr
sudo cp cr2hdr /usr/local/bin

hmm doesn't work... am I missing something?

make cr2hdr
../../modules/Makefile.modules:22: warning: overriding commands for target `delete_if_failed'
../../modules/Makefile.modules:22: warning: ignoring old commands for target `delete_if_failed'
../../modules/Makefile.modules:39: warning: overriding commands for target `module_strings.h'
../../modules/Makefile.modules:39: warning: ignoring old commands for target `module_strings.h'
../../modules/Makefile.modules:42: warning: overriding commands for target `README.rst'
../../modules/Makefile.modules:42: warning: ignoring old commands for target `README.rst'
../../modules/Makefile.modules:45: warning: overriding commands for target `dual_iso.mo'
../../modules/Makefile.modules:45: warning: ignoring old commands for target `dual_iso.mo'
../../modules/Makefile.modules:50: warning: overriding commands for target `dump_asm'
../../modules/Makefile.modules:50: warning: ignoring old commands for target `dump_asm'
../../modules/Makefile.modules:69: warning: overriding commands for target `hgstamp'
../../modules/Makefile.modules:69: warning: ignoring old commands for target `hgstamp'
[ gcc      ]   cr2hdr
cr2hdr.c: In function 'module_get_string':
cr2hdr.c:344:34: error: '__module_strings_MODULE_NAME' undeclared (first use in this function)
cr2hdr.c:344:34: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
cr2hdr.c: At top level:
module_strings.h:1:13: warning: '__module_string_a_name' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
module_strings.h:2:13: warning: '__module_string_a_value' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
module_strings.h:3:13: warning: '__module_string_b_name' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
module_strings.h:4:13: warning: '__module_string_b_value' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
module_strings.h:5:13: warning: '__module_string_c_name' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
module_strings.h:6:13: warning: '__module_string_c_value' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
module_strings.h:7:13: warning: '__module_string_d_name' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
module_strings.h:8:13: warning: '__module_string_d_value' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
module_strings.h:9:13: warning: '__module_string_e_name' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
module_strings.h:10:13: warning: '__module_string_e_value' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
make: *** [cr2hdr] Error 1

gcc version 4.6.4 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.4-1ubuntu1~12.04) 64bit

a1ex

What happens if you do this change?

#define MODULE_STRINGS_SECTION
+#define MODULE_NAME MODULE_NAME
#include "module_strings.h"

revast

I figured I missed python-docutils
after I installed it, it worked.

thanks for fast response though!

will alter my raw linux post accordingly, and get a binary up there.

akry

@a1ex After a five days of real-life testing and rapture I got a few ideas of further improvement.

• Add dual iso settings data directly in cr2 meta. Why: after shooting thousand of photos I can't remeber which settings I used and can't learn which is the best. And it will be easier to batch-postprocess photos if I sort them by "second ISO". Maybe just add few keywords ("subject" exif field), no need for custom tags.
  • Sequence "No Dual ISO shot / Dual ISO shot ". Why: I not always sure if Dual ISO is good for the scene or not. And on dynamic events I have no time to open settings and enable/disale dual iso for each shot. Is it too hard to implement by your judgement?
  • Sequence "Dual ISO RAW / Small Jpeg Low Iso / High Iso". Why: nowadays I have to convert cr2 on my desktop before I know I made it ok. But often I'm in travel weeks from any PC, and it's a huge chance I mess with settings and understand it when too late. But by looking at (yes, even unaligned) jpeg previews I will got an idea what's going on in a place.

a1ex

1. how?

2. it's already there, from the very first implementation

3. not sure I understand what you mean