Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hjfilmspeed

mmenno

Hi, first of all thanks for the amazing effort to all who are contributing to ML!

Now, as I'm not sure where to post I'll ask here: On my 7D, using the latest nightly build (3-31) and the builds I've tried before, dual iso doesn't seem to be working in liveview, sometimes there are a few in a series of images that are dual iso, but roughly 80% aren't, just ordinary base iso files. When not using liveview all is well and all files are dual iso. Is there something I'm missing, some setting I've overlooked? I've tried searching this forum but to no avail.. I'm trying to use it for pano's, so LV would be nice to have, and having a pano with mixed dual and normal iso images just doesn't work ;)

Any help would be really appreciated!

a1ex

Do you mean regular pictures in LiveView, or silent pictures?

Also make sure you are using photo mode LiveView, not movie mode.

budafilms

mmenno

Thanks for the reply. Regular or silent doesn't seem to make a difference, when I shoot using te viewfinder I get dual iso files, when I switch to LV and don't change anything else I get normal iso files. I'm not in movie mode either.

a1ex

Alright; will check next week. Meanwhile you can file it on bitbucket on the issues page.

Quote from: budafilms on March 31, 2014, 10:12:59 PM
A1ex, April 1st tomorrow... Sensor Up...!!!!  ;D

https://nikonhacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1840 :P

hjfilmspeed

mmenno

Marsu42

With DNG at least in ACR/Lightroom, there is the option to embed a (color) calibration profile. Would it be possible to add the soft film curve as (part of) this embedded profile so users could dynamically switch it on and off w/o the need to re-process with cr2hdr?

Currently, the embedded profile after cr2hdr is "Adobe Standard", or more likely there is no embedded profile at all so Lightroom falls back to "Adobe Standard".

hjfilmspeed

budafilms

Quote from: a1ex on March 31, 2014, 11:20:26 PM
Poisson d'avril from budafilms :P

Jajajajaj  :D
I am imagine something like sensor protocol?
It's a huge thing....

arturochu

Quote from: kgv5 on February 26, 2014, 09:57:05 AM
Is there any way to have dualISO mlv files "tagged"? When using ETTR connected with dualISO we often get mixed files (normal and dualiso) and the only way to know if the clip is dualISO or not is to open one of the DNGs (which takes a lot of time with dozens of files). If we have DI files with some different name it would be possible to easly filter such a files out of the rest and process them with any dual iso app (or script) right away. Is metadata of MLV module has a "room" for such a tagging?

EDIT: Maybe something like 'custom file prefix' but for movies.

+1

and also can someone fix the flickering problem with dual iso video? i really dig dual iso video but i don't know how to code, i don't think its a big thing to do but i've been wrong in the past.

cheers
Chu

tombu

Quote from: a1ex on March 26, 2014, 03:20:47 PM
A few updates to cr2hdr-20bit.exe

Could someone post a working link? I got 403 forbidden code when I clicked the link. Would like to try the 20-bit version.

Walter Schulz

DavidSh

600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

tombu

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 02, 2014, 04:29:08 PM
Use right mouse button -> Save as ...
Unknown server error.. Can other people download it just fine?

Walter Schulz

Maybe your antivirus software doesn't like this one.
@a1ex: ZIP/RAR would be fine. Will prevent file version/date problems, too.

Audionut

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 02, 2014, 07:25:23 PM
@a1ex: ZIP/RAR would be fine. Will prevent file version/date problems, too.

And reduces the bandwidth requirements by about 2/3rds.

The latest version is mirrored here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/ML/dual_iso/cr2hdr-20bit.zip

a1ex

Some progress with dual iso postprocessing for video / panoramas / timelapse / whatever else needs matching exposures between the frames (it should no longer flicker). To use it, specify the --same-levels option on the command line.

cr2hdr-20bit.exe

This is not a deflicker algorithm, so it requires manual exposure settings. It simply tries to keep the same difference between WhiteLevel and BlackLevel for all the files passed in the same command line. More details on the commit message.

On Windows, you may have some trouble passing a bunch of files on the command line (you can't use wildcards there, and for drag and drop you may have to create a batch file that also passes --same-levels), but I didn't try. On Mac/Linux it should work without much trouble.

I also did a small shell script to render a Dual ISO video to AVI: dualisovideo.sh. You may want to tweak it for each video (include exposure, white balance and other options), but it should do the job.

Here's an example, rendered with the above script (an older sample from papkee, which flickered a lot before this fix). Oddly enough, it's from 650D, but I didn't apply any pink dot fix...

This workflow is not very fast - for a 100-frame test video at 1920x1080 it took only 15 minutes, and for this 150-frame clip at 1472x626 it took 8 minutes (this includes the entire conversion from the captured .raw file to the final .avi file). There's a lot room for improvement in cr2hdr, and you don't need any hacking skills to do that (hint, hint).

I already did some small speed optimizations (you can check the changelog).

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on April 08, 2014, 08:58:40 PM
On Windows, you may have some trouble passing a bunch of files on the command line (you can't use wildcards there)

For all your windows scripting needs, use either cygwin+bash or the free tcc/le (4dos/4nt successor) and run "select cr2hdr.exe --same-levels [dual*.cr2]": http://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html

a1ex

Nice! I guess msys/mingw can do the same thing then (they also have a bash-like shell).

Here's another script for rendering dual iso videos, this time with tonemapping via enfuse:
dualisovideo-enfuse.sh.

For the sample clip, it took 12 minutes (so the time needed for ufraw+enfuse becomes comparable to the time needed for cr2hdr).

I uploaded two versions, with and without tonemapping, so you can check whether the tonemapping process introduces any flicker.

BTW, make sure you use ffmpeg from the ffmpeg web site (the one that comes with ubuntu is actually the libav fork, and it's buggy at least for this video).

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on April 08, 2014, 10:24:03 PM
Nice! I guess msys/mingw can do the same thing then (they also have a bash-like shell).

To be correct: Cygwin has *the* latest and original bash shell which works 99.9% like in other unix flavors as cygwin emulates a full posix system. You can even make the ntfs file system case-sensitive through a windows registry entry... that's why I think having cygwin as a full ml dev environment is a good idea as it doesn't need admin rights to run unlike a vm.

Problems on the dev side usually only occur when trying to use autoconf/automake scripts that aren't aware of cygwin just like some some still ignore macosx/bsd. On the user side mixing cygwin with dos/windows programs without taking the different line endings into account might be tricky as cygwin also uses the unix-like lf. Different behavior otherwise is very far in between, most prominently with awk inline scripts which I fixed here

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/467/fix-cygwin-compilation-docs

dubzeebass

Audionut

Quote from: a1ex on April 08, 2014, 08:58:40 PM
Some progress with dual iso postprocessing for video / panoramas / timelapse / whatever else needs matching exposures between the frames (it should no longer flicker). To use it, specify the --same-levels option on the command line.

Excellent work.  To give an idea of the changes.

Here are 2 exposures from a panorama, that are correctly brightness matched with the latest cr2hdr.

And here is the same 2, using an old cr2hdr.

This makes batch processing significantly easier, since you don't also have to brightness match images.

edit:  Removed outdated build.