Author Topic: Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)  (Read 1923663 times)

wavydoom

• New to the forum
Re: Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)
« Reply #3100 on: June 16, 2021, 02:52:43 PM »
Disabled all modules on my 6d (Made in Japan, it says on the bottom).
Only activated dual iso module.

Got the 'ISOless PH err(3)' error both in video mode and photo mode...
So it doesn't work in any mode.

Will try some other builds of magic lantern.

1.1.3  with   magiclantern-Nightly.2014Mar28.6D113     

dual iso works fine.

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #3101 on: June 16, 2021, 04:56:45 PM »
Problem exists (at least) for 6D, 650D, 700D. According to a1ex it should be fixed by solving the common issue: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25976.msg231177#msg231177

Levas

• Contributor
  • 6d - Nightly build user
« Reply #3102 on: June 17, 2021, 10:35:22 AM »
I think something changed from 1.1.3 to 1.1.6 on 6d.
Anyway, the  'ISOless PH err(3)' for 6d is fixed in the builds I uploaded the last couple of years, although those aren't available on the experimental downloadpage.

In this post there's a linkt to the latest build for 6D I uploaded, should work for dual iso:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25782.msg229094#msg229094

But be aware that this is a experimental build, this build also contains the SD_UHS speed hack module and has a special crop_rec module with more resolution options.
To know how it all works, you might want to read the whole topic, it's only 6 pages, so it's not that much. But a lot of info in there.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25782.msg223031#msg223031

Comes to mind that the dual iso module in these builds should be compatible with the 4k build on the experimental downloadpage, so if you don't want to use all the stuff in the new build, you could copy the 'dual_iso.mo' in the modules folder of my build and overwrite it to the 4k experimental build you are using from the downloadpage.

dream951

• New to the forum
  • let's get maximum from our cameras
« Reply #3103 on: July 01, 2021, 11:12:00 AM »
Hi guys!
Is it possible in any build to take silent pictures from liveview with dualiso with an intervalometer.
This does not work for me, it shoots out only a raw frame without processing by dualiso.
It would be very cool for timelapses.
Thanks
5D III 1.2.3 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets

theBilalFakhouri

• Developer
« Reply #3104 on: July 02, 2021, 11:55:05 PM »
Hi @dream951

Silent pictures with Dual ISO already works:

1-If you set "Silent Mode" to "Simple", you need to enable RAW video in this case to make Dual ISO works with silent pictures (this only works in movie mode, unless you want it in Photo mode for slower shutter speeds?)
(*Edit: it seems this doesn't work well with intervalometer, I got "Out of Memory" with RAW video enabled).

*Workaround: make Dual ISO works when taking "Simple" silent mode pictures, also when "Silent" mode is activated in movie mode without RAW video enabled (coding tasks).

2- If you are using "Full-res" silent pictures, it works out of the box, no RAW video required.

"Simple" silent mode has LiveView RAW resolution which is about ~1920x1280 or less (in none crop mode, depending on your camera) with Binning/Skipping, "Full-res" silent mode uses full pixels on sensor without Binning/Skipping, which one are you looking for?
700D 1.1.5 | no more ISOless LV err 8 / SDR104 @ 240 MHz - Constant! | Fixed Scrambled LiveView in Higher resolution | Real-Time correct framing in the Way

Milk and Coffee

« Reply #3105 on: October 24, 2021, 06:42:47 PM »
Does MLV store RAW data in a linear gamma?

I’m reading that cameras that store RAW sensor data linearly, the dynamic range is limited to the bit depth. Whereas cameras that store RAW sensor data logarithmically, the dynamic range is not limited by the bit depth.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/fake-raw-braw-proresraw-z-raw-whats-going-on.3157980/

Example: In cameras that store sensor data linearly, capturing a 10bit signal, limits the available dynamic range to be captured to 10 stops.
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX

ilia3101

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3106 on: November 03, 2021, 01:41:11 PM »
Technical doc
- dual_iso.pdf (in-depth description of how it works)
- See also: ADTG and CMOS discussion

The technical doc link is down. However it can still be accessed here if anyone needs it: https://web.archive.org/web/20130821183804/http://acoutts.com/a1ex/dual_iso.pdf

@Milk The developers would have done it if there was an easy way to make the camera do it! 10 bit log would be almost indistinguishable from 14 bit.

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #3107 on: November 03, 2021, 02:03:16 PM »
Milk and Coffee 10,12 and 14 bits in raw on my canon M or 5d2 are hard to tell apart, 10 bits have noisey blacks so i use it when i have no choice and footage is too high res for continuous recording
Dynamic range is identical on all 3 bitdepths, i tested it, there wasnt more stuff and even if there was its just junknoise ,you can test it easily too.I use 12bits.

dragonsfire1981

• New to the forum
« Reply #3108 on: Yesterday at 02:52:56 PM »
I tested this mode for the first time today, I seem to have got a few strange corrupted frames on 1080p mode.

Is this less likely to happen if I use a crop mode or is it suspectable to it regardless of mode?