Any summary of best working raw video on canon DSLR's?

Started by pewpow, July 16, 2013, 04:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pewpow

Hi,

I'm owning a 550d right now and I'm dying to shoot RAW with it. A few weeks ago I read that it wasn't that compatible yet with the 550d and decided to sell my 550d for an upgrade, luckily I didn't had the time to do this yet. (cropped sensor due to not having money for L lenses)

Is there any summary of what camera works best with ML raw video? I would like to record as long as possible on the highest resolution ofcourse. ;)

My excuses for my lazyness. I know I could read all the topics with the different cameras, but a summary would be easier.

1%

5d3 -> 5DII -> 50D, basically all CF cameras. SD = disappointment.

pewpow

I'm new to this site but I see you're a developer. What's your opinion about the development of SD cameras and RAW video? Do you think it'll get better in a few months time? the 50d never crossed my mind actually.

edit: I found out that the 50d doesn't have certain resolutions. It's kinda a must have to shoot 1080/24 and 720/50

_DK_

In my opinion the only SD card cameras that have at least something valuable are 650d/700d.
I can record continuous 720p RAW video with my 650D, without any frame drops. This is the best you get out of SD card cameras so far...

But of course anything with CF card is working a lot better.
EOS 650D, 17-50 2.8, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 70-300mm
Sorry if my English is a little bad as I am not a native speaker

Yuppa

@ pewpow

Being new to the forum, you should really read about 100 posts before posting your 1st question.  Using the search feature is very useful and you would have quickly discovered the whole "SD thing" is not only is a dead horse but has been beaten to a pulp.

SD is a HARDWARE limitation: so unless you're willing to take your camera apart and fiddle with different SD controllers, assuming that would even work, it shall, forever and a day, remain a DEAD horse.

The 50D is hardly a solution: no audio and a new 60D—a better body is so many ways IMO—is going for $600 or so, while a GOOD 50D will run you around $500.  That's a half decent LENS!

1%'s Tragic Lantern has a really neat feature (600D only right now?) where you can control GOP and slice in H.264 (ALL-I), but that's back burner for now.  Many are hoping for that to get moved up the importance scale soon—and ported to the other SD bodies--but RAW (viz. 5DM3) and other things are where it's at right now.

"Any summary of best working raw video on canon DSLR's?"

Easily discoverable: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0

Remember: read, read, read and THEN read some more!
When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.

pewpow

Most threads are a bit outdated as the software developes and developes Yuppa.

Guess I'll wait another 1-2 months before purchasing a new DSLR. ;)

Yuppa

@pewpow

"My excuses for my lazyness. I know I could read all the topics with the different cameras, but a summary would be easier."

Don't tell ME threads are outdated!
When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: pewpow on July 17, 2013, 06:39:43 PM
Most threads are a bit outdated as the software developes and developes Yuppa.

Guess I'll wait another 1-2 months before purchasing a new DSLR. ;)

For cheap raw video buy the 50d. If you want almost as good video as the 5d3 buy the 5d2.