Black Magic: Davinci Resolve Lite
raw2gpcf
BATCHelor
raw2dng
QuickTime

PRODUCTION:
1.  Copy Raw File to HDD

2.  BATCHELOR
   Rename files Scene1_Location_00001.dng (example)
   Create DNGs
   Create Cineform Proxy

3.  QUICKTIME
   Review cineform
    ACR
   Review a dng frame

4.  EXIFTOOLGUI
   add data:  ISO, F#, Shutter, FPS

5.  Backup DNGs to 2nd HDD

6.  Format card & Repeat for next shot

POST PRODUCTION
1.  ACR
   DNG - Noise Reduction & Sharpening. 
   Export Tif sequence

2.  RESOLVE
   Import Tif sequence
   Color Space = BMD Film
   Highlight Recovery
   Use Hunters Lut
   Color grade
   Export an XML
   Export DNxHD .mov (proxies)

3.  PREMIERE CS6
   Link dngs to .mov proxies
   Edit using proxies
   Replace proxies w/ Resolve XML info.
   Export final project h.264, DVD/BluRay, etc.
5D2 |  VAF-5d2b | Komputerbay 64GB 1000x  | 14, 24, 35, 85 Samyang Lens Set  | 50, 180 Nikon | Marshall V-LCD51 | DigiFinder | 528s LED Amaran lights

iaremrsir

Quote from: duncanidaho25 on July 16, 2013, 02:22:36 AM
My Raw Workflow (5d2)

SOFTWARE USED:
Premiere CS6
Adobe Camera Raw
Black Magic: Davinci Resolve Lite
raw2gpcf
BATCHelor
raw2dng
QuickTime

PRODUCTION:
1.  Copy Raw File to HDD

2.  BATCHELOR
   Rename files Scene1_Location_00001.dng (example)
   Create DNGs
   Create Cineform Proxy

3.  QUICKTIME
   Review cineform
    ACR
   Review a dng frame

4.  EXIFTOOLGUI

6.  Format card & Repeat for next shot

POST PRODUCTION
1.  ACR
   DNG - Noise Reduction & Sharpening. 
   Export Tif sequence

2.  RESOLVE
   Import Tif sequence
   Color Space = BMD Film
   Highlight Recovery
   Use Hunters Lut
   Color grade
   Export an XML
   Export DNxHD .mov (proxies)

3.  PREMIERE CS6
   Link dngs to .mov proxies
   Edit using proxies
   Replace proxies w/ Resolve XML info.
   Export final project h.264, DVD/BluRay, etc.

In post, you can't decode TIF as BMDFilm. That only works with CinemaDNG files. ACR will debayer the raw to a tif sequence which bakes in all color and adjustments made. You didn't state if you were using CF Studio Premium or just GoPro Cineform Studio(free version). If using Premium, I'd just go with using CF Raw, gets rid of DNGs and proxies. Much faster and much cleaner workflow. If free, you either need to either live without noise reduction and go the raw route in Resolve Lite, or use ACR to export to a gradable file (this option probably removes the need of proxies if you export to DNxHD or ProRes).

duncanidaho25

Oh wow.  Thank you iaremrsir.

I didn't realize:
QuoteIn post, you can't decode TIF as BMDFilm.

I use the free version of cineform studio.

I think I'll lose the noise reduction, skip the .Tif and use resolve to grade, then use premiere and Denoiser II for NR.
What do you think?

Thanks again.  Very helpful.
5D2 |  VAF-5d2b | Komputerbay 64GB 1000x  | 14, 24, 35, 85 Samyang Lens Set  | 50, 180 Nikon | Marshall V-LCD51 | DigiFinder | 528s LED Amaran lights

iaremrsir

Quote from: duncanidaho25 on July 16, 2013, 04:00:31 AM
Oh wow.  Thank you iaremrsir.

I didn't realize:
I use the free version of cineform studio.

I think I'll lose the noise reduction, skip the .Tif and use resolve to grade, then use premiere and Denoiser II for NR.
What do you think?

Thanks again.  Very helpful.

That sounds like the fastest workflow for your situation right now. And I'm glad to help. Oh, another thing, in your workflow you create two sets of proxies. One Cineform, one DNxHD. I think you could lose the Cineform proxies and just send out 10-bit DNxHD 175 files from Resolve. That would get rid of the need to relink back to Resolve because your grade would be done before your edit.

mucher

I am wondering if it is possible to convert directly out of CF card.

CF card>>software>>HDD DNG>>Resolve Lite>>avid DNX.mov>>PR CS6

pascal

Hi, can someone explain please how this premiere proxy technique works in detail?

Something along these lines?
http://blog.lsphoto.de/2011/10/simple-proxy-editing-for-adobe-premiere-pro-and-after-effects-tutorial/

Redrocks

Is this for archival? If so you don't actually need to back up DNG's, instead back up your RAW's. Debayering techniques used by raw2dng et al are improving all the time and as long as you settle on a naming structure at that level, you can always swap new conversions into your projects.

Your on set workflow seems fine, but my post workflow is:

1) transfer .RAW
2) debayer
3) import to Resolve and export proxies
4) import proxies to PP, edit and export XML
5) import XML to Resolve and decide what can be done there / need ACR
6) dynamic link from PP to AE and render out lossless for Resolve / dynamic link for PP

togg

Quote from: Redrocks on July 17, 2013, 10:11:04 AM

1) transfer .RAW
2) debayer
3) import to Resolve and export proxies
4) import proxies to PP, edit and export XML
5) import XML to Resolve and decide what can be done there / need ACR
6) dynamic link from PP to AE and render out lossless for Resolve / dynamic link for PP

This should be the best one.

duncanidaho25

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by step 5:

Quote5) import XML to Resolve and decide what can be done there / need ACR

How can ACR be used here?

And I don't follow step 6.  either.  Render a lossless file from Premiere to send to resolve?

Redrocks

Yeah I messed that up a bit. Once I import an edit into Resolve, I see what I can do there and anything I need AE for, I dynamically link from PP. Once I'm in AE I have further choices: go straight back to PP or render out a lossless file to import to Resolve with the rest of the edit... many more options. The goal is to be working with the original DNG's when it comes down to the actual colour correction and the only reason for any intermediary formats/software is to allow you to import to your NLE.

iaremrsir

Quote from: Redrocks on July 17, 2013, 10:11:04 AM
Is this for archival? If so you don't actually need to back up DNG's, instead back up your RAW's. Debayering techniques used by raw2dng et al are improving all the time and as long as you settle on a naming structure at that level, you can always swap new conversions into your projects.

raw2dng does not debayer the raw data, it just converts it to another raw format readable by more programs. Just wanted to say that to prevent any confusion.

iaremrsir

Quote from: mucher on July 17, 2013, 08:49:20 AM
I am wondering if it is possible to convert directly out of CF card.

CF card>>software>>HDD DNG>>Resolve Lite>>avid DNX.mov>>PR CS6

Yes. Many tools like chmee's raw2cdng

http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

or BATCHelor

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5645.0

will let you select the source and destination folders. But if you don't have a USB 3.0 card reader, the conversions could take longer.

Redrocks

Quote from: iaremrsir on July 20, 2013, 06:41:40 AM
raw2dng does not debayer the raw data, it just converts it to another raw format readable by more programs. Just wanted to say that to prevent any confusion.

You are right, thanks for that. About converting straight from the card: what would happen if you lost power whilst doing this? I use BATCHelor and raw2cdng alternately, but I don't like the idea of processing the files till they are on my hdd. Ideally, I'd have backup copies before I do that - has anybody used bluray disks for longterm archiving?

eyeland

Quote from: duncanidaho25 on July 16, 2013, 02:22:36 AM
4.  EXIFTOOLGUI
I also use EXIFTOOLGUI, but I mainly use it to add "makernotes", which enables the use of camera calibration profiles in ACR (important for me since I have many development presets that uses calibration profiles)

@ISO 800, I have not been able to see any decisive improvement from having the ISO EXIF values, but I am by no means an expert in analyzing noise :)
I am still unsure which EXIF values ACR actually makes use of.
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

nigel

iaremrsir

Quote from: Redrocks on July 20, 2013, 10:00:13 AM
You are right, thanks for that. About converting straight from the card: what would happen if you lost power whilst doing this? I use BATCHelor and raw2cdng alternately, but I don't like the idea of processing the files till they are on my hdd. Ideally, I'd have backup copies before I do that - has anybody used bluray disks for longterm archiving?

Not sure on the power loss part. I'm guessing since it's only doing a copy and not a move, no data should be lost. Or at least it should be recoverable. Best case: you just have to power up and start the process from where you left off. Worst case: your card becomes corrupt and you lose your files. I've used BluRay for short term storage and for giving large amounts of files to clients who wanted their projects in disc form. Never tried it for longterm though.