Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

@reddeercity,

yeah testing the module on 7D also and the movie restart "bug/quirk" is also there. this is not present with older 5d2 builds. Even with movie restart on, the MLV rec/start stop will not trigger the h264 record start.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Canon eos m

g3gg0 help!

I am getting these serious black regions near the shadow areas (neck and lower cheeks of my subject). Where can I upload a sample DNG to share with you.

Camera: 5DM3
Recorded MLV
Converted with MLVViewSharp
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Canon eos m

done!

another request: how do I share the crash/ problem log for MLVViewSharp with you. See it on the screen but cannot copy it or prntscrn it. I am using Windows 8.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

Canon eos m

The neck and lower jaw area has dead black pixels that cannot be recovered. Basically, shadows are really difficult for me to control - also why I stopped using dual_iso for photos.

g3gg0

maybe we are looking at different images. there are no black pixels in that image.
i only see two red and one green hot pixels.
can you post a screenshot of what u mean?

ted ramasola

Feb 2 TL Test on 7D with g3gg0 preallocate feature.

#1 Capacity test- vga out/hdmi monitor/GD-off = Fills up 64gig CF, continuous ok, CLEAN no problem with footage.

ISSUE : with CF card full View in File manager hangs, freezes in index 10/10 (maybe due to lack of space to generate IDX file?

#2 Movie Restart - FIXED Tested in MLV mode and in H264. Functions as advertised, less than 1 second gap between clips.

#3 Pre Allocate delay, Record start/stop time.
        Feb 2 TL- 4 seconds delay.
        Jan 7 TL-  22 centisecond delay (almost instant)
#4 HDMI recording at HD resolution, GD-OFF , tested with 5 clip recording.
   clip 1 length 8 sec = Clean
   clip 2 length 14 sec = 1st frame and at 4" corrupted.
   clip 3 length 19 sec = Clean
   clip 4 length 12 sec = Clean
   clip 5 length 12 sec = 1st frame corrupted.

NOTE with Forced HDMI-VGA = footage is all clean no problems in footage.

The preallocate delay might be too long for some situations and uses, maybe it should have an option to use this or not.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

g3gg0

thanks a lot!

#1 I guess the performance is as always not as good as raw_rec
#2 nice
#3 does it give you a benefit when file splitting happens? my write rate is always quite jumpy. exFAT is no available option for 7D. i think i will add an option to toggle it.
#4 uhmm forced HDMI-VGA helps? hmm is the quality good enough to leave it as option if you want to use HDMI?

a1ex

HDMI VGA has the same resolution as built-in LCD (maybe even lower), so this makes sense. At full HDMI it processes 6x as many pixels for displaying.

g3gg0

this is another proof that the EDMAC is the bottleneck, even when HDMI output is enabled.
so the best fix would be dropping frames on HDMI display (somehow...) for every n-th frame.

Jakobmen

YAY!
- added support for files >4GiB for exFAT..
all my cards are working i can record over 1min or 4gb..

THANK YOU!  :-*
Canon 5D3

Canon eos m

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 02, 2014, 06:37:00 PM
maybe we are looking at different images. there are no black pixels in that image.
i only see two red and one green hot pixels.
can you post a screenshot of what u mean?

g3gg0, just sent you the sample (cropped to highlight the affected area). Basically, the black pixelation is around the lips, lower jaw and neck.

Markus

Quote from: Jakobmen on February 03, 2014, 01:27:47 PM
YAY!
- added support for files >4GiB for exFAT..
all my cards are working i can record over 1min or 4gb..

THANK YOU!  :-*

This made full HD cont. rec stable at 25fps on my Mk III =), Komputerbay 1050x 128gb with sound =D
Cant see cropmarks in external zacuto viewfinder though, Global draw on works though.

andy kh

tested 03 feb 14 nightly build on canon 550d recording dint start when i press record button.
5D Mark III - 70D

g3gg0

Quote from: Canon eos m on February 03, 2014, 02:49:30 PM
g3gg0, just sent you the sample (cropped to highlight the affected area). Basically, the black pixelation is around the lips, lower jaw and neck.
there is nothing that comes from raw video.
alex and me double checked the raw+jpeg and the only thing we could imagine is that you just
a) underexposed the image by a few stops (fact) and
b) used some post processing settings that crushed the blacks too much

this gives you the impression that there is banding or edges.
i sent you an JPEG from alex that he shifted by 3.5EV which looks better.

-> just a post processing issue that you would have with CR2 too

reddeercity

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 03, 2014, 12:35:06 PM
this is another proof that the EDMAC is the bottleneck, even when HDMI output is enabled.
so the best fix would be dropping frames on HDMI display (somehow...) for every n-th frame.
Would this affect the 60i hdmi stream being captured to a hard drive recorder on the 5d2?
I use the that as my backup/proxy.

ted ramasola

@g3gg0
Quote from: g3gg0 on February 03, 2014, 10:47:18 AM
#3 does it give you a benefit when file splitting happens? my write rate is always quite jumpy. exFAT is no available option for 7D. i think i will add an option to toggle it.
#4 uhmm forced HDMI-VGA helps? hmm is the quality good enough to leave it as option if you want to use HDMI?
#3 On the 7D, as compared to Jan 7 or 30 , preallocate delay had no benefit when in comes to file splitting.

#4 forcedHDMI-VGA was used on the 5D2 before raw came in so this is useful on the field for external monitoring, though for those using external recorder not so.
  BUT then ON THE 7D, they can only use this when the camera is not recording anyway since the camera would have corruption which sometimes also flashes via hdmi,
  so the only way for those with external recorder to record FROM 7D is to do so ONLY on the external and not in cam.

I have tested using the external monitor to fit focus between different planes of focus while in forced hdmi-vga mode and IT IS USABLE to a degree.

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 03, 2014, 12:35:06 PM

Is it possible to lower resolution to 720 instead of 1080 60i rather than to skip frames? Or is HDMI specs is always at 1080?

Another "hidden feature" I noticed in crop mode is, when using AUTO preview, it give you proper framing but lowres, lowfps and in grayscale, But when I HALF PRESS the shutter, it gives you Higher res and in Color image.

I tested making half press during recording in crop mode to see if it affects recording like corrupting or skipping and it seems it does not. Is there a way we can also implement this as a preview option aside from a half press? Its useful when doing a slow pan and focus needs to be adjusted.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

reddeercity

Quote from: ted ramasola on February 03, 2014, 10:34:43 PM
BUT then, they can only use this when the camera is not recording anyway since the camera would have corruption which sometimes also flashes via hdmi,
so the only way for those with external recorder to record is to do so ONLY on the external and not in cam.
I don't see that problem with 5d2,  I record the hdmi stream at the same time as raw or mlv.
there's no issue with corruption on the save hdmi stream.
I do see the flashes via hdmi once in a while in standby mode thou, but never when recording.

ted ramasola

haha! @reddeercity, I was editing my post when you posted. Yeah, the 5D2 does not have issues so much so I was not testing it with this build. I'm still on a.d.'s Jan 6 and 14 combo.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Danne

QuoteAnother "hidden feature" I noticed in crop mode is, when using AUTO preview, it give you proper framing but lowres, lowfps and in grayscale, But when I HALF PRESS the shutter, it gives you Higher res and in Color image.

Found this one out yesterday and it left smiling madly for half an hour :)

1%

I tested making half press during recording in crop mode to see if it affects recording like corrupting or skipping and it seems it does not. Is there a way we can also implement this as a preview option aside from a half press? Its useful when doing a slow pan and focus needs to be adjusted.

Its dependent on GD, there is a full time color option in advanced. When you record it does lag, etc. Nobody has been really trying it either way.

Danne

Hi! Full time color in advanced? Can,t find this option on my 5d mark 3. Is it newer builds? Where exactly do you see this option?
Thanks!
//D

ted ramasola

Quote from: 1% on February 04, 2014, 12:11:44 AM
Its dependent on GD, there is a full time color option in advanced. When you record it does lag, etc. Nobody has been really trying it either way.

Display>advanced settings ? or Movie>RawVideo>Advanced ? Can't seem to find this option. I calculated the lag with grayscale and color they seem close. With the added resolution, it would be useful than the current implementation.

EDIT: ok got it.FULL TIME COLOR PREVIEW In RAW MLV menu.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

reddeercity

Quote from: ted ramasola on February 03, 2014, 11:10:59 PM
haha! @reddeercity, I was editing my post when you posted. Yeah, the 5D2 does not have issues so much so I was not testing it with this build. I'm still on a.d.'s Jan 6 and 14 combo.
:)