Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

Playing with the tragic lantern builds for 6d form 3 and 18 Januari.
Sound recording issues with mlv_rec are fixed, I can record multiple clips with sound now, THANKS !!!
BUT
Is it me or is the sound recording volume really low (compared to previous builds), I have to crank up the volume on my mac to hear the wave files.
In Canon menu I have the wind filter and Attenuator OFF, so that's not it.
In ML menu I tried analog gain on 23 db and on 32 db, not much different.
digital gain is all off.

Also the meters from ML aren't moving that much, in canon menu, the sound meters are moving a lot further on the scale...

What's happening here ?

1%

The audio wasn't touched, just mlv_snd. Canon always uses a little digital gain with it. If you add a tiny bit just to 1 channel it will get hot pretty fast.

Levas

Probably need to do some more testing with it, and check audio settings on the previous builds I used, maybe there was some digital gain there.
(or maybe I touched some of the many many settings in the ML or Canon menu)

Digital gain in camera has no benefits on digital gain in post on computer (I guess ?), and with digital gain in camera there's more risk of "clipping" audio, so probably better to leave it off.

Danne

I was under the impression audio was recorded through canon audio menu settings? At least it is when I change audio levels manually while fiming mlv raw.

feureau

I've been looking for an mlv to dng batch converter for windows but there doesn't seem to be any.  Found the mlv2dng.exe but it's not batchable. Did I miss a thread or nobody hasn't build one yet?

Thanks

gary2013

Quote from: feureau on January 20, 2014, 07:21:49 PM
I've been looking for an mlv to dng batch converter for windows but there doesn't seem to be any.  Found the mlv2dng.exe but it's not batchable. Did I miss a thread or nobody hasn't build one yet?

Thanks
I use the MLVBrowserSharp.exe to do batch MLV extractions.

Gary

Steve Kahn

Quote from: gary2013 on January 20, 2014, 07:27:21 PM
I use the MLVBrowserSharp.exe to do batch MLV extractions.

Gary

What is your workflow?  I have the same issues.  I have to manually create a DNG folder for each MLV file.  Is there an easier way to batch several MLV files? 

Thanks!

ted ramasola

Steve,

If you use resolve after converting MLV to DNGs, just let the MLVbrowsersharp extract all your MLVs to one folder as resolve can automatically see them as belonging to one clip when you point resolve to the folder containing all the dngs. At first I thought I needed them to be in separate folders but I got use to it later on. I guess it's more organized if they are in separate folders though but its more convenient that theyre not in folders so resolve can show you all the Thumbnails of your clips in one window rather than when they are in individual folders.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

QuoteI was under the impression audio was recorded through canon audio menu settings?

It configures audio, asif is what records it. Canon stuff runs when the menu is accessed and record start, etc. After that ML configures the settings you've set.

feureau

Canon eos m

I have a big issue. On MLV mode, the camera skips frames (even with skip frames option off). There are about 3-4 pink frames in the whole video of about 250 frames. The video is choppy. Video shot at 1920X1080 (Canon 25fps)

Workflow: MLV Browser; After Effects CC.

Other programs: VLC;Windows 8 on PC.

Equipment: Canon 5D3 (Sigma 35mm F1.4), Lexar CF 1000X 32GB; Scandisk SD 95kpbs Extreme Series.

I am using the 20 January 2014 build (no separate SND files imported from g3gg0's module on first page).

What am I doing wrong?
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

1%

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

1%

Canon eos m

Ok.

Will try w/o.

Another thing - how can I prevent jerky video in post. 25fps looks jerky on vlc which it shouldn't. Format QuickTime.

1%

depends how you encoded it, ae defaults to 30P for image sequences, etc

Steve Kahn

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 20, 2014, 07:59:51 PM
Steve,

If you use resolve after converting MLV to DNGs, just let the MLVbrowsersharp extract all your MLVs to one folder as resolve can automatically see them as belonging to one clip when you point resolve to the folder containing all the dngs. At first I thought I needed them to be in separate folders but I got use to it later on. I guess it's more organized if they are in separate folders though but its more convenient that theyre not in folders so resolve can show you all the Thumbnails of your clips in one window rather than when they are in individual folders.

Thanks Ted.  This works well for a few mlv files but if I have many mlv files MLVbrowsersharp throw a lot of excemption errors and ultimately crashes.   

For a few files though Resolve does indeed import them as individual files even though all of the DNGs are in the same folder.  After Effects imports the DNGs in a similar way as Resolve.

EuAcelasi

Is there any kind of rawanizer to batch convert either into raw or dng creating subfolders for each shot? I tried to convert first with BrowseSharp to RAW, and then import them in RAWanizer, but it crashes... Also, the MLV.RAW.WAV extension make RAWanizer treat it as a RAW file...

Shield

Started a new thread on this, but perhaps it just belongs here.

Recording typical 1920x1080 video tonight; nothing too crazy.  For some reason ML locked up, which is no big deal, but after the restart the Canon menu's audio became disabled so I lost some good audio tonight.

I normally notice the audio meters but tonight I didn't see them.

Here's my question - back in the day in order to use the 3x mode one had to set "FPS override" (in my case I set it to 23.976).  However if you do this now, one cannot see the audio meters at the top.  I have the "Raw Histobar" at the top.  Once I disable the FPS override the audio meters come back.

So, do I still need to do the FPS override trick?  All I care about shooting is 1920x1080 @ 24FPS in normal mode as well as 3x crop/zoom mode.  In the past it was recommended to set the Canon menu for 30 FPS then dial down the FPS override to 23.976.

Also, if it's still required, is there any way to get the audio meters back with it on?  When shooting handheld stuff I just set the Canon audio menu to "auto"..

Thanks guys.

looyod

Hi,

we've been using ML a lot during a large (and important) production, it has been amazing and we've been able to get footage that would otherwise not have been possible. big thanks here to everybody who contributed. this is such a game changer!

we're a swiss production company shooting with two cameras running a build from 07.jan with the snd module from 4th jan. we convert using the mlv dump on os x with the script by dubzeebass (also thanks for that) We shot about 4 TB of footage. All documentary style with sound.

two problems occured.

1) out of about 200 shots about two had bad first frames. I could not open the first dng file in photoshop and davinci would therefore not recognise the sequence.

I saw one thing, instead of the normal vertical stripes correction:

Vertical stripes correction:
  1.000  1.000  1.001  0.994  1.003  0.998  1.001  1.003

MLV Dump gave me those:

Vertical stripes correction:
  1.000  1.000    1      1      1      1      1      1

I tried running the script on different locations but it seems to be an issue with the MLV file.

dublicating the second frame solves the issue with the sequence of course... but the problem is still a bit weired.

2) In about 3 shots out of over 400 we had the issue of skipped frames, they are just missing. The Sound is fine.
I can not pinpoint any logic behind it. The main Problem is, that the camera won't stop and we're therefore not aware of the issue on the shoot.

I could provide the MLV Files for analysis if it would help. Non of the files with a problem was spanned)
(but I don't want to post them publicly on the forum)

We're using the Sandisk 160MB/S  128GB Cards.

Thanks!

g3gg0

thanks for the feedback!
very nice to see it is actually being used and people are statisfied.

i am sorry that there are dropped frames :(
sure i will have a look into this - maybe i can find something that helps in tracking down the bug.
can you upload the files to a google drive?
of course i will not disclose any content.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

bnvm

Quote from: looyod on January 22, 2014, 11:56:16 AM
2) In about 3 shots out of over 400 we had the issue of skipped frames, they are just missing. The Sound is fine.

I have ran into this a few times my self, seems totally random and rather rare. I am using a 5D2, I have also had some issues where the camera will not stop recording when the button is pushed. Going into the menu shows stopping... but never does (Well is does stop recording frames but never returns to normal function camera must be turned off and on). This issue is just as rare as the other.

I'm new to this so this might sound stupid to most but I am having a issue with just getting the new nightly build on my 5d3 so I can use the MLV, I dragged and drop on my SD card and load modules but I am getting a error. How do I fix this or install the new build,  I'm on a Mac and I am using a Canon 5d3 that has the ML Raw on there already..

shinokubo

Hello to everyone.

I'd like to tell you that we shot a shotfilm in .mlv the last two days. We were shooting 1080p25 with Global Draw on and mlv_snd on a couple of Komputerbay 64GB 1000x Cards. We did produce around 400GB of footage.

We had almost no problems, only had to warm up cards everytime we switched oherwise we had some frameskipping.
Also the remaining free space on the card was incorrect for some reason.

So far I did convert all the .mlv files to .dng+wav with the batch script on osx and now I am trying to figure out how to produce proxies with audio in a proper manner.

Thanks so far!

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas