Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRozier

Okay a little bit of my experiences from testing today.  I tested the mlv with sound, both plugged into a monitor and not on a 5d mk iii with 1050x 128gb cards.  In the older RAW module I can record constant 1920x1080 @ 25fps.  In this mlv module the camera only runs for a few hundred frames then cuts out, I have to record at a lower resolution 1728x972, and sometimes even then it isn't continuous.  The sound however is perfectly in sync.  The sound cuts out a second or so before the cam starts to skip frames.  The other issue I noticed is that when connecting a monitor sometimes the monitor screen freezes up, when pressing record when this happens you see nothing but a frozen external monitor screen, but when processing the file you get a strobe type effect where you're seeing a constant flicker between the frozen screen and the thing you're recording. 
The biggest issue I have is it not being able to run 1920x1080 @ 25fps.  Any advice on settings that people recommend for getting the best bang for the buck on the 5d 3?
Hope the above info is useful to someone? :)

bluewater

Hi, I'm wondering there's way to convert MLVtoDNG+WAV in one commnad file by Drag and Drop.
I know MLV2DNG can do it. But not convert WAV file from MLV.

Anybody know about the development?

bluewater

timbytheriver

I have a Camera model ID error showing up in ACR 8.3/CC/OSX 10.7.5 using the most recent mlv modules.

I've been discussing it in this post http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9731.25 but was advised by Danne to post it here also.

Dngs created are coming into ACR with the ID/tag: 'Camera Raw 8.3 - ERR:1 md:0x   0 ml:0' and all I get offered [in ACR Camera profiles] is the embedded profile. I'd like to apply VisionLOG here.

Exiftool on the dng shows me the line:

Unique Camera Model             : ERR:1 md:0x       0 ml:0

All other extraction methods on my normal raw > dng produce usable camera ID such as 'Canon 5D Mk 2' or 'Canikon'. I've updated to latest mlv_dump also.

Any help gladly received. Many thanks.

tim
5D MK2
a.d. build 24.10.2012 with added mlv modules.
OSX

UPDATE: This has now been fixed by me doing a clean install of ML on the CF card. Not sure where the problem was... :o
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

crazypig

Dear g3gg0,

MLV is GREAT~~~~~ I am start using it now, very stable.

Just one request...

Can you make the recording information smaller like raw_rec.mo

Because I would like to use MLV for my new project.

Best regards,

Sean

1%

Adding in the raw rec stuff like the little green camera, etc is in the works. MLV_REC just got to the point of being a viable replacement.

naturalsound

Quote from: MRozier on January 11, 2014, 04:45:40 AM
The biggest issue I have is it not being able to run 1920x1080 @ 25fps.  Any advice on settings that people recommend for getting the best bang for the buck on the 5d 3?
Hope the above info is useful to someone? :)

I struggled with se same problem. Back then i was able to record contineously and suddenly only one in a while a cont. recording worked.
Yesterday I realized that I changed the audio sample rate to 48 kHz recently. I switched back to 44.1kHz and viola:

With 44.1kHz audio sampling rate MLV is contineous for me, while with 48kHz it skips after about 100-500frames.
Build: Jan-11 5DIII 128GB KB

1%

You should try some of the other buffering methods too. 4 isn't always the best.

Danne

And also the small size jpg settings in picture quality

jose_ugs

Quote from: Danne on January 11, 2014, 11:56:36 PM
And also the small size jpg settings in picture quality
I believe this is not the case with 5DM3...

Danne

jose_ugs

1%

I use 3 and 4 on 7D and 6D. on 4 the 7D wouldn't record 1728x1152 continuously with audio, on 3 it did. Seemed to blast through the 1038 though.

So try each and see because I don't have a 5DIII.

5DIII + 6D also support the memory hack which should give you all of the memory that is possible. The hack only works when pic quality is raw. One of the jpegs may give you slightly more memory than raw + nothing but not too likely on these 2 bodies. Every camera has a different trick for maxing out the buffer size.

MRozier

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the advice ill test that tomorrow.  On another test last night I noticed that the connection of my smallhd ac7 via hdmi was causing regular issues, both in RAW rec and MLV, it certainly seemed to be slowing things down and locking things up.  It's more stable in RAW only creating slight issues but totally unusable in MLV, every time I hit record the screen would lock up and I'd have to turn the cam on and off to reset. 

gravitatemediagroup

is there a tutorial or link with instruction how to work with MLV format in windows, I've tried using cmd prompt with what little instructions I have found but from there it turns into a mess.  Shouldn't be "this" difficult right? 

andy kh

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on January 12, 2014, 06:22:08 PM
is there a tutorial or link with instruction how to work with MLV format in windows, I've tried using cmd prompt with what little instructions I have found but from there it turns into a mess.  Shouldn't be "this" difficult right? 

use MLVBrowsesharp to convert mlv raw into dng + audio or raw + audio
5D Mark III - 70D

reddeercity

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on January 12, 2014, 06:22:08 PM
I did a short tutorial for Windows with mlv+audio but on a 5d2 it should help.
Link below
https://vimeo.com/83449475

ted ramasola

I was doing some tests on sound sync and I loaded SND.mo and saw the meters come on upon checking my footage I was surprised not to see a WAV file,
I checked my cam and saw I missed turning MLV sound to ON in ML menu, - I see potential for trouble here when using this in a shoot.

Can devs tweak this to put safety nets?

Like, If MLV sound is not ON then Vu meters should not be active?

Or, you should not hear anything on your headphones when MLV sound is OFF.

or, when SND module is loaded, this should automatically turn ON MLV Sound by Default.

There is just too many "buttons to push" that the probability for error is high.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Sthirasukha

I just tried to use the whole MLV (shoot and dev) this week end. I have to say that everything works quite well! Hudge thanks to the whole team!!!!
I have a 5D MKIII with MLV_rec, 25 fps, 1920x1080, continuous recoding ok, CF card lexar 64Gb x1000 (+SD card), sound sync without any issue.
The MLVBrowseSharp.app works well too (except the preview), specially when the file is 10 Gb (split in .mlv (4.29Gb), .m00(4.29Gb), m01(1.8Gb) in the CF Card but seen as one file in MLVBrowseSharp.app) and the wav file is created as one file that is sync to the dng folder once put together in AE (with ACR)! Really great job.
The MLVViewer in the 5D is fantastic, too. My only asking (and I know it has been asked already) is: it woud be nice to have a smaller information area in the LV when recording as it was for the Raw_rec module...
Many many thanks again!!!! Your an amazing team!

a1ex

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 13, 2014, 09:15:31 AM
Can devs tweak this to put safety nets?

Like, If MLV sound is not ON then Vu meters should not be active?

Yes. In audio-common.c, one has to modify SOUND_RECORDING_ENABLED (turn it into a function first) and make it aware of mlv_sound.

I'm not sure whether sound in Canon menu has to be enabled for mlv_sound, and whether this behavior is consistent on all cameras.

This kind of integration is tricky, a very large part of the audio code has to be rewritten.

gravitatemediagroup

in my ML audio settings I only have 3 menu items, but In the tutorial video I seen tons of other options/extra options that I don't see?  Maybe these are settings that got placed or built into other settings in newer builds?

daisermac

Quote from: MRozier on January 12, 2014, 05:28:50 PM
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the advice ill test that tomorrow.  On another test last night I noticed that the connection of my smallhd ac7 via hdmi was causing regular issues, both in RAW rec and MLV, it certainly seemed to be slowing things down and locking things up.  It's more stable in RAW only creating slight issues but totally unusable in MLV, every time I hit record the screen would lock up and I'd have to turn the cam on and off to reset.
I am using an EVF and it locks up from time to time too or gives me corrupt frames. Too bad, as my shots are so much more stable with this extra-point of contact. I wished the devs could invest some love into this, but I fear with an external monitor, we are a small minority.

Most of my shots turn out very usable. You have to make sure to switch off the camera first and wait for five seconds before switching off the EVF.