Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

yep, 7D.

Audio doesn't seem in sync though... on a 10 min clip the wav was a little short, not long. Another one was a few frames too long only. 6D was longer when I tested but I don't think 100% in sync.

Shield

Just a heads up from my experience - I have been testing and diddling with this all day.  I'm the geek type that will change just one setting and exhaustively see what difference it makes - anyway, I was fooling around with the resolution settings for the 3x crop mode, and forgot that I set it above 1920x1080 - shooting normally it was fine, but when I went above that it would lock the camera up.
Not a big deal - pull the battery and start over.

But...inexplicably this lockup disabled audio recording in the Canon menu.  If you go off the wrong path as I did please be sure to verify the audio is still enabled.  Got some fantastic footage of the kids tonight, and the audio file (while there) was dead silent.  Went through all the menu settings and sure enough, the Canon menu had it disabled instead of the usual "auto".

Just wanted to share my experience.  I would like to thank all the developers and testers; the MLV format is amazing and the ability to have accurate, synch able reference audio is a huge benefit.  Thanks again guys - think how far you've come since last May.

Another side note - I let it record until the CF card filled up - it shut off "automagically" and everything was recoverable in post too.

1%

On 6D/7D it works fine with canon audio off as long as the IC is powered (wav mode), tap on the mic and if the meters move you're good

Quotebut when I went above that it would lock the camera up.

Maybe related to the dma flags. Which resolutions did it?

andy kh

i think so many people have audio sync proplem. why i dont have any problem in my 550d. i hve been shooting short films since mlv enable audio n i dont have any (repeat) any problem. everything works fine. audio sync is also very easy but i m so bad in color grading

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVDQf91YmOM

atleast i shoot 50 clips a day and all audio sycn with video very well
5D Mark III - 70D

Shield

Quote from: 1% on January 08, 2014, 06:49:59 AM
On 6D/7D it works fine with canon audio off as long as the IC is powered (wav mode), tap on the mic and if the meters move you're good

Maybe related to the dma flags. Which resolutions did it?

Oh something stupid like 2.5k - I was just bored and curious to see how long I could get it to go.  I'll be sure to keep my eye on the meters.
The problem is the Magic Lantern software is too smart - it remembered that in 3x mode I was higher than 1920x1080.  I'm used to software being much more stupid.  I also periodically get a "Error -1" at the top, then I realized it was set to write to the SD card (Card 2).  You guys have thought of just about everything; well done!

a1ex

Sound was probably disabled by FPS override (and it couldn't be restored because of abnormal shutdown). It was important when recording H.264, but with raw it no longer needs to be disabled.

It gets pretty complex to handle all these tricks.

g3gg0

right...
so mlv_snd should enable audio again when it is enabled.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

a1ex

I guess this will result in a fight between the two codes.

1%

Should just add audio to 5DIII, its AK4646 with slightly different command method.

I should also try audio on/audio off and see what happens to sync.

Steve Kahn

any idea of when you will include mlv_snd into the nightly builds?

thehadgi

MRozier

Hey everyone, hoping for a bit of help here, I'm really interested in trying out the new MLV raw with audio for the 5d mk III but looking for a bit of help with installing the files. 
I know there's a few others also having difficulty figuring out how to get the latest MLV developments working on their 5d Mk III's as I've seen step by step instructions for the mkII,
would anyone who's gone through the process be able to give us a step by step guide to installing these latest developments.  I've got the October ML with Raw working at the moment,
and I've downloaded the modules kindly provided by G3ggo, do I just drag all the .mo files into the modules folder I currently have? Or is that totally wrong.  Huge apologies in advance for asking but hopefully someone with a bit more ML experience out there won't mind walking me through it.  Thanks guys!

MRozier

Just to clarify, I presume I'm overwriting all the .mo files from the first post here into the 5d mk iii latest build (from 9th Jan)? If so, where does the 5d3_113.sym file go? MLV dump is the post processing program (ie. not for the SD card in the camera) is that about right? Sorry for the stupidly basic questions :-)

Danne

I think you can download the regular nightly build for your camera here http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
Then you just add the mlv_rec.mo and mlv_snd.mo from g3gg0 build from the first page in this thread. Conflict occurs if you load both raw and mlv recording in camera. At least this is what I have done lately.
Alternative is to download and install g3gg0 build removing the other nighly build.

Correct me if I,m wrong here
//D

Shield

Quote from: Danne on January 09, 2014, 01:51:32 PM
I think you can download the regular nightly build for your camera here http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
Then you just add the mlv_rec.mo and mlv_snd.mo from g3gg0 build from the first page in this thread. Conflict occurs if you load both raw and mlv recording in camera. At least this is what I have done lately.
Alternative is to download and install g3gg0 build removing the other nighly build.

Correct me if I,m wrong here
//D

That's pretty much what I did too.  Seemed to work out fine for me.

MRozier

Hey Danne,
Thanks for that info.  Great I seem to have it all up and running.  My only issue is that I have MLV audio running, but aren't seeing any options for audio under the audio tab.  I'm seeing audio bars though on the main screen, but in the menus there's just three options, speaker volume, beep test and MLV sound - is this normal? on the 5d 2 mlv i know i've seen a screen with more audio options. 

g3gg0

enable "MLV Sound" and enter the menu using Q, if you want to see the options.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

MRozier

Hey g3ggo!
Thanks for the help :)
I do have mlv_snd enabled in the modules, in the audio tab I have mlv sound switched to ON, when I press Q on MLV sound I only get three options, debug, trace output and sampling rate.  I wasn't sure whether I should be expecting to see digital and analog output, headphone level etc as per the usual magic lantern or not? Is this right? Thanks again for all your hardwork, it's MASSIVELY appreciated!

g3gg0

no there are no further options to mlv_snd. it is just recording, usually from the internal mic.

MRozier

Thanks for your help guys :-) I'm up and running :-) I'll let you know if I come up against any problems :-)

HrRaiko

Sry but i cant still understand how to get mlv files to dng and that audio file too?

Edit:
Ok, found it. Bad in english so its hard to find that things.
(http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.0 and http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8447.0)
Canon EOS 650D | Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art + CPL Filter | Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED UMC AS | Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II | Kamerar SD-1 Slider/Dolly + Velbon PH-368 | YONGNUO YN-568 TTL | Benro KH25 | Sennheiser ME2 Mic

Sthirasukha

Here I'm again on this topic g3gg0. I installed your build and removed the other nighly build.
Now I can see the mlv_snd module but when I record (the global draw is ON), the global draw turn to off on the LV and when I stop recording I have a "error -1" on the top left. Did I miss something?

Sthirasukha

I found an answer that resolve my problem:
As Ted Ramasola said:
"if I would dare guess that the mkIII is the same in MLV menu as the mkII then you go to MLV menu  and turn DISABLE G.DRAW to ON. I know, its mislabeled and I was wracking my brains as I thought turning it on would do as it say, but it actually does the opposite and DOES NOT turn Gdraw off when it is ON."
Now it seems to work fine. Thanks again!

gravitatemediagroup

why isn't mlv snd included in the nightly builds?