Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a.d.

1%

sure you use *my* release?

For dumping yes 100%, I can't compile the windows binaries. The best I can compile is MLV dump but still using yours from the pack.

So the functions are getting overrode by audio_configure (right before start asif) and no problems but have to check if anything has changed for 7D. 6D still isn't shutting down properly, stuck at state 4 (but message is shorter now). I tried with both shutdownin and stop asif. Maybe MLV dump needs to stop extracting if the wav is really done for 6D and others.

reddeercity

Hi  :)
Just wanted to report my tests with MLV with Audio on the 5D2
I first have to Say Great Job Everyone! I all Cases audio was sync .
Now to the Test Numbers;
I did two different type of tests one with HDMI devices (Zacuto EVF & Atomos Ninja HDMI recorder)
And Without HDMI. Tested on Lexar 1000x 64GB.
Without > Largest Frame size Continuous record
1872x936 23.976p with Audio 19,931 frames/13:51 Min. 60GB 73.3MB/s 67° C.  :o  buffer method 2
Crop Mode > 2048x872 23.976p with Audio 19,930 Frames/13:50 Min 60GB about 74-75MB/s buffer method 1
With HDMI>Largest Frame size Continuous record,
1872x850 23.976p 2.20:1  with Audio 22,710/15:47 min 60GB 67.9MB/s buffer method 1
Crop Mode > 1856x938 23.976p with Audio 20,000 frames 68 MB/s buffer method 0
This on A.D. build for the 5D2 dec.30
Tried the nightly build from Jan-1 MLV, and could get larger frame size continuous with HDMI
1856x930 23.976p 2:1 19,000 frames 55GB buffer method 1
In all tests GD off and only the 5D2_212.sym, file_man.mo,  mlv_rec.mo, mlv_snd.mo
Crash 2 times with hdmi plugin when I tried to record 1856x1004 and or 1872x1012, the buffer just filled up with blue color then  lockup
Battery pull & reboot ok after that.
It seems on the 5D2 you are limited to about 70-73 MB/s without hdmi active
and with it active then that drops to about 65-68 MB/s & in crop mode to about 74MB/s normally that's about 76-79MB/s
and 75MB/s in non crop mode.
Its definitely usable without hdmi at this point, run & gun style  ;) 

1%

The 4gb wav problem is from mlv_dump, its impossible to end it even from process manager.

g3gg0

4 gib wave? how long did you record?!
and to which post did you refer?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Audionut

Quote from: 1% on January 02, 2014, 02:30:20 AM
The 4gb wav problem is from mlv_dump, its impossible to end it even from process manager.

Hmmm, I think that is actually a Windows OS problem.

edit:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV#Limitations

andy kh

finally with mlv sound i m able to make a film. thank u magic lantern so much. i was never interested in magic lantern raw since there was no audio recording. now i have made a film with mlv raw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hiFKQbQ6cc&feature=youtu.be
5D Mark III - 70D

1%

Quote4 gib wave? how long did you record?!

Not long, actual data is a few MB. The problem is if you get an asif did not stop error in MLV sound the wav will end up being huge. So for 6D. 1st wav is fine, 2nd wav asif didn't stop and you get the giant wav. In MLVbrowse it hangs on the last frame or maybe 1 before it and keeps extracting until the 4gb limit is reached.

Jakobmen

This is driving me nuts..  :o  in rec.raw i can record fine 25gb+ raw file 5mins or more, no problem..
in rec.MLV i start getting skips when .m00 files start to be made.. tried alot of settings.

i love how multi-file support (4 GiB splitting is enforced) works but when it spilts for me it just starts to skip...

lower frame size does fix it.. lol
Canon 5D3

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Jakobmen on January 02, 2014, 06:52:29 PM
This is driving me nuts..  :o  in rec.raw i can record fine 25gb+ raw file 5mins or more, no problem..
in rec.MLV i start getting skips when .m00 files start to be made.. tried alot of settings.

I had some problems at first and realized that my mlv_sound.mo and mlv_rec.mo was getting updated but not re-compiled after the update was done.  First I used g3goo compile for 5D3 and then I  realized that my compiling machine was the cause.  I make sure I do a make clean and then make on the modules and check the date of the .mo to make sure it is the latest.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Jakobmen

Renatophoto can you send me your files mlv_rec & mlv_sound.. ?
Canon 5D3

RenatoPhoto

I sent them to you but remember that MLV is slower.  For example I can record 1920x1080 at 29.97 fps on the CF card with raw_rec but with mlv_rec I have to enable card spanning to be able to record at this resolution with audio.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Jakobmen

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on January 02, 2014, 10:31:13 PM
I sent them to you but remember that MLV is slower.  For example I can record 1920x1080 at 29.97 fps on the CF card with raw_rec but with mlv_rec I have to enable card spanning to be able to record at this resolution with audio.

thanks

i guess we need faster cards..  8)
Canon 5D3

RenatoPhoto

More processor speed would be better. 

@ g3g00: I noticed that the recording speed of the SD card is not showing and was wondering if it would be best to disable all unnecessary calculations to allow for the fastest recording speed?  For example these speed computations could be moved to the Show buffer graph option in case someone wants to look at it.

Steve Kahn

I am shooting on a 5D3

I noticed that there is a 5D3_111.sym as well as autoexec.bin file in your mlv_rec folder in addition to the mlv_snd module.

In addition to adding the mlv_snd module to the newest nightly build...

Do I need to copy/replace this autoexec.bin to the root directory of my SD card?

Do I need to copy/relaoce the 5D3_111.sym from your mlv_rec folder into the modules folder of the SD card?

michael84

It seems that MLV.SND is finally working on the 7D. I just recorded 4 short Clips, all 4 MLVs extracted with MLVBrowseSharp in DNGs and WAV - and got 4 WAV files, each of them containing usable Sound.

My Settings:

1) For the first two files:

Sound Record: Normal
Beep, test tones: OFF
MLV Sound: ON
other Settings Default, Sound in Canon Menu on AUTO

2) Fot the other two files
Sound Record: Separate WAV
Analog Gain: 26 db
Rest unchanged

Tested with a quick DNG->JPEG convert in Lightroom and importing in Premiere, the Audio is 7 Frames longer than the Video at 25 fps (no FPS override, Canon Video set to 25p and PAL). If i Interpret the sequence as 24p, the Audio is 5 Frames too short.

Next things to test will be wether i can get continuous recording with MLV Sound on, and wether the audio stays in sync. I will shoot an analog clock with audible ticking for a Minute or two and use a flash at intervalls for easy sync checking and in case the ticking is not loud enough. This should also help to check the video timebase - perhaps i need to use fps override to get exact 25p.

Currently, the write performance lags a bit whena recording is started, display shows 200-300 Frames expected, but then catches up at up to 80 MB/s, the buffer graph goes down, and the writing Speed settles at about 70 MB/s. My card is a Transcend 64 GB, it definitely needs low Level formatting with autoformat, otherwise it really struggles to reach the necessary writing speed. buffer fill method is set at 4, extra hacks on. I did not test other settings, maybee i should to find out what works best.

Global draw and Digic Peaking are on, also the  Histogram.

1%

You'll gain a little speed with GD off. My continuous with audio is the largest 1x 16x9 size... the 5:3/3:5 are don't seem to be making it continuous + sound.

How is the alignment at 23.976? vs 24.00? Also harder to be continuous with external stereo vs the doubled internal mic. Sampling rate doesn't seem to be making a difference speed wise.

Levas

Quote from: 1% on January 02, 2014, 05:23:44 PM

Not long, actual data is a few MB. The problem is if you get an asif did not stop error in MLV sound the wav will end up being huge. So for 6D. 1st wav is fine, 2nd wav asif didn't stop and you get the giant wav. In MLVbrowse it hangs on the last frame or maybe 1 before it and keeps extracting until the 4gb limit is reached.

Experiencing the same problem with my 6d (MLV-dump.osx, so on OSX platform).
When I'm filming now, I turn my camera off and on after every single clip, just to have sound (raw video WITH sound, which is an huge improvement!)
Will there be a solution for the "sound failed to stop, state 4" error problem ?

1%

I hope so. There are only a couple of things to do:

1. Figure out the audio state machine and get rid of the patches
2. Stop asif properly between 6D and 7D
3. Make MLV_rec stop outputting 4gb wavs and ignore the error.

g3gg0

Quote from: 1% on January 03, 2014, 05:50:26 PM
3. Make MLV_rec stop outputting 4gb wavs and ignore the error.

4gig wavs are not possible, this is no fix for a bug.
although it should not hang at all.

i need such a .mlv or a full dump (-v) to check whats wrong.
with some vague "does hang" reports, i cannot fix anything.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

1%

No problem, here is a log of a 2nd file... it hangs when it hits the first AUDF block and writes the wav till 4gb.

http://pastebin.com/henB4t1K

Properly ended 1st video.

http://pastebin.com/63PBASKd

From looking:
I think maybe the seconds are excessive and need to be written as ended even if audio is stopping ,etc.

I will also try to get rid of the message with SoundDevShutDownIn and SoundDevStopIn... 6D has those same functions.. on 7D it calls stopasifdmaADC (so it stops) and unpowers the internal mic, on 6D actrl functions so still state machine problems. all the beep.c wavs across cameras were endless like this and had to be re-saved... but the asif there is stopped or times out right away when you look at the DM log.

Embark

Quote from: Steve Kahn on January 02, 2014, 11:17:49 PM
I am shooting on a 5D3

I noticed that there is a 5D3_111.sym as well as autoexec.bin file in your mlv_rec folder in addition to the mlv_snd module.

In addition to adding the mlv_snd module to the newest nightly build...

Do I need to copy/replace this autoexec.bin to the root directory of my SD card?

Do I need to copy/relaoce the 5D3_111.sym from your mlv_rec folder into the modules folder of the SD card?

Same question here. Also, will mlv_snd be an included module in the nightly builds anytime soon?

g3gg0

Quote from: 1% on January 03, 2014, 10:33:52 PM
No problem, here is a log of a 2nd file... it hangs when it hits the first AUDF block and writes the wav till 4gb.

http://pastebin.com/henB4t1K

thanks.
nothing as simple as that.
see the log and you will notice there is one AUDF with frame #-1 (or 0xFFFFFFFF)

Block: AUDF
  Offset: 0x0cbb5a60
    Size: 38656
    Time: 18446744073709552.000000 ms
   Frame: #-1
   Space: 232

guess what this will cause?

ouuzi

Quote from: Embark on January 03, 2014, 11:31:17 PM
Same question here. Also, will mlv_snd be an included module in the nightly builds anytime soon?
Same question here.

g3gg0

Quote from: Steve Kahn on January 02, 2014, 11:17:49 PM

you don't have to, but its the latest version i tried with.
if there is any trouble with the nightly, use my version