Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Quote from: dubzeebass on December 26, 2013, 12:53:59 AM
I've re-uploaded it with the attributes fixed as some people may have had trouble due to ownership and administrative settings.  Cleared all attribs with Batchmod.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7VaNSfNjUYOT2s0NXp3cXA0UVU/edit?usp=sharing

Tried the reuploaded fix but got problem with adminrights from that one too. Updated my modified instruction. Good work on this dubzeebass

naturalsound

Quote from: kgv5 on December 26, 2013, 01:01:55 AM
I recorded 1:30 and this time no dropped frames at all. Sound perfectly synced till the end of a clip. i dont know why i had dropped frames before, both times 1920x1080 25fps. This time however i formatted my card to exfat, before was FAT32. In both cases MLV file was splitted to 4 GB and the rest. I think i was able to record all card with single file with raw-rec. Does Mlv-rec records files over 4GB?

Which buffer settings do you use for MLV 1080P?

kgv5

Quote from: naturalsound on December 26, 2013, 01:19:08 AM
Which buffer settings do you use for MLV 1080P?

I made every tests with CF only buffers=0 and buffer fill method=0 so both OFF. Card spanning also OFF.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

naturalsound

Quote from: kgv5 on December 26, 2013, 01:24:04 AM
I made every tests with CF only buffers=0 and buffer fill method=0 so both OFF. Card spanning also OFF.

skips again at 4095MB! buffers: 0 fill: 0, spanning OFF (Global Draw does not matter)

auxmar

I have also problem with the mlv_rec, it does lot of skipping frames with or without sound, especially the first time i try to record. i have tried various setting but, still skipping, the max time a get is about 1 minute. with Raw_rec it record continuously without skip most of the time.
i have the KB 64G 1000X with 5d mk III, the bitrate when it record mlv is around 80, with Raw_rec it's around 90 .

can someone share his setting of MLV to record continuously on MK III ?

Tai.Fighter

Hi and Merry Christmas! Running last night's nightly build on a 5D MkII.

However when I try to load the mlv_dump module, I get a "file err" and "ret 0x", not allowing it to load. Does anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it? Thanks!

Also, the first post of this thread is extremely confusing for a MagicLantern newbie like me... Is there a comprehensive full guide/post that could explain clearly the steps to get mlv_dump working from shooting to processing? I'd really appreciate it, even willing to pay through PayPal! (The bit-depth/file-size reduction is so tempting)

ouuzi

People one more question.Do I have to copy autoexec.bin from the first post aswell?I got it working with 25 dec build but i dod not copy the auto exec.bin.Am i missing something?

kgv5

I have all files from mlv-rec package on my card, including autoexec.

Levas

On the 6d, every first clip, audio is recorded good.
Every clip after it, only has a very small audio file (just as long as the sync beep file would be), it contains normal audio though, but it's only 1 or 2 seconds long.
And it says "audio failed to stop, state 4".
When I turn the camera off and on, the first clip has normal audio, the next clips have the state 4 error message and a 1 or 2 seconds audio file.
Is there something in the ML menu that I need to turn on or off ?

I'm using the new MLV record and sound modules in tragic lantern build from 30 November, which is the most recent I can find for 6d.
There isn't a nightly build for 6d (does anyone know why there are no nightly builds for 6d ?)

AnotherDave

I'm shooting on a 5D3 with 64gb 1000x KB cards.  I shot about 1:30 of mlv_raw w/audio and got some stuff I hadn't seen before...  On the card, I have 3 files M26-0833.mlv, M26-0833.M00, and M26-0833.M01.  Why did it span my shot across multiple clips?  How do I combine them?

I am using the latest MLV_REC.mo and have never seen this before...

AnotherDave

Quote from: AnotherDave on December 26, 2013, 02:19:44 PM
I'm shooting on a 5D3 with 64gb 1000x KB cards.  I shot about 1:30 of mlv_raw w/audio and got some stuff I hadn't seen before...  On the card, I have 3 files M26-0833.mlv, M26-0833.M00, and M26-0833.M01.  Why did it span my shot across multiple clips?  How do I combine them?

I am using the latest MLV_REC.mo and have never seen this before...

NVM it's automatic...  Why did it span though?

g3gg0

Quote from: g3gg0 on July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM
some technical facts:
- structured format
- extensible layout
- as a consequence, we can start with the minimal subset (file header, raw info and then video frames)
- multi-file support (4 GiB splitting is enforced)
- spanning suport (write to CF and SD in parallel to gain 20MiB/s)
- out-of-order data support (frames are written some random order, depending on which memory slot is free)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Jakobmen

ok my problem is happening after the 4gb limit is reach it starts the next file .m00 it gives me a frame skip .. tried and few settings and it happens the same way all the time..
Canon 5D3

g3gg0

is the buffer already quite full when the next chunk is created?
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

Jakobmen

Right when the next chunk it starts to get full then skips
Canon 5D3

g3gg0

problem is, i canot create another chunk how it was done in raw_rec.
alex just wrote and check how much was written.
if the write failed because of a 4G limit, then he writes the rest into another chunk.

i cant do this because the file format doesnt allow that.
i must know in advance if your setup (camera + card) allows files >4G.

maybe i can add an option "Files >4G supported" for those who know that they have exfat and a 5D3.
but this will cause for sure 10 other people asking why it doesnt work and that the option is faulty etc etc.
then there is again a lot of crying here. oh dear...

Jakobmen

Canon 5D3

sergiocamara93

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 26, 2013, 04:25:54 PM
maybe i can add an option "Files >4G supported" for those who know that they have exfat and a 5D3.
but this will cause for sure 10 other people asking why it doesnt work and that the option is faulty etc etc.
then there is again a lot of crying here. oh dear...

I understand your concerns, g3gg0, but I would really appreciate to have that option. For me it's much more convenient having one single .mlv file per shot. People using this module (or ML by extension) should know their cards file system and its limitations.

But that isn't important. We finally have synchronous audio and I cannot thank you enough. I've been working with the 'beep' and the slate method and it was quite painful. This makes things so much easier and quicker. For those doing their dailies in Resolve and struggling, there's an amazing tutorial from Abelcine (I know I should be posting this link in the postproduction section but it's much more likely to be seen here). Right now sync in Resolve can only be done manually, in order for it to do it automatically the video and audio need to have matching time codes. Anyway, manual sync it's a minor inconvenient for this awesome format. Thanks again!
5D Mark III

MvM

Hi, how about, naming it 5dmk3-exfat-only-mode ? So everybody knows what and how and so on... Thanks for your work and reading.
Merry ... Matthias

kgv5

One thing after such change is to remember not to format card in camera anymore. I didnt know that formatting in camera makes card FAT32 even if it was formatted as exfat before. So only deleting clips via browser. If someone forget this - well -  he can have much trouble unless has a laptop with him.

Jakobmen

Canon 5D3

seku

agreed on the exFAT part. and ML, you're making dreams come true !

i'd never have thought to have the possibility, but i just got a few lexar cards, and a 1TB scratch SSD for the dng files for editing... i can try a RAW workflow ...this holiday trip shall be a lot funnier than i initially thought!

RenatoPhoto

I compiled myself for 5D3 including a "make clean" and make for the new modules.  For some reason my modules do not always get compiled when something new gets updated.

Tested "as is" with the camera settings as have been saved by g3goo.  Great results all audio is pretty well matched.  I get better alignment if I move the audio forward by 1 frame.

Changed setting to Preview=Hacked and also enabled Mrmory Hack, and card spanning ON.

Tested with Card spanning ON at 1920x1080 at 29.97 fps and the audio matched again!

Tested with Card spanning ON cropped video at 1920x1080 at 29.97 and had to slide audio forward by many frames and then to shrink the audio a bit.  After that it matched.

Tested with Card spanning ON 60 fps at 1600x560 the audio could not be synched by trimming or stretching or sliding, the audio was there but could not align.

Tested with Card spanning ON Tested 50 fps at 1856x650 the audio could not be synched by trimming or stretching or sliding, the audio was there but could not align.

For Post processing I always used MLVBrowseSharp and exported to DNG (with green cast) then I imported the dng and wav file to Vegas.

Noticed that the green cast on dng is not due to BlackLevels.  It appears that Color Temperature and Tint information is missing.  As soon as I set in ACR Temperature to 5000 and tint to 0 the colors seem appropriate.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Levas

Quote from: kgv5 on December 25, 2013, 01:19:06 AM
Hi, i still have problems with "lowered" and "slowed down" sound in my wav files (5d3). If you have everything synced all the time could you please tell me your settings in mlv tab? Thanks

Filmed some clips during the holidays and now I am editing I hear that my voice and other male voices do sound lower and slower (than they should be) and my wife and kids voices actually sounds normal ?
Could it be that there is something going on with the lower frequencies ?

kgv5

I had the same problem. Newest build resolves this, just make sure sound recording is set to 48khz in the sound menu. This should help. Cheers