Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgv5

Seems that after moving thread to other place download link from the first page doesnt work anymore, i have tried many times and no luck. 
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

chmee

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

g3gg0

ah nice, the first step :)
reading mlv isnt that hard.

which programming language do you use?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

chmee

g3gg0 c# - lol, i use your mlv_dump.exe as preprocessor :)  in german: "das rad nicht neu erfinden" - but at least, yes, i'll rewrite it natively.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

g3gg0

raw2cdng is written in C#?
then you/we can easily add MLV support

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

Danson Delta-40

Ok not gonna lie, tried to find this info elsewhere, none of the converters worked for me....

How the hell do I convert MLV to DNG/CDNG on a mac? Does the MLV dump work? And if so is there a way to batch process them in to 16 bit so I can use speedgrade cs6?

not trying to be a troll I literally cannot find any working converter and it is annoying the hell out of me.
GOING POSTAL SINCE 1995 BABY

budafilms

Quote from: Danson Delta-40 on November 28, 2013, 07:31:20 AM
Ok not gonna lie, tried to find this info elsewhere, none of the converters worked for me....

How the hell do I convert MLV to DNG/CDNG on a mac? Does the MLV dump work? And if so is there a way to batch process them in to 16 bit so I can use speedgrade cs6?

not trying to be a troll I literally cannot find any working converter and it is annoying the hell out of me.

Try ¨Son of the Batch¨ to open Raw and import to DNG.
Open DNG with Da Vinci Resolve lite or Adobe Photoshop ACR.

Forget the bits. There are a lot.

Good Lantern!

Danson Delta-40

Quote from: budafilms on November 28, 2013, 07:35:16 AM
Try ¨Son of the Batch¨ to open Raw and import to DNG.
Open DNG with Da Vinci Resolve lite or Adobe Photoshop ACR.

Forget the bits. There are a lot.

Good Lantern!

I've been converting RAW for a while now, its MLV I've been having a hard time with.
AGAIN: I want to convert MLV(EDIT: Convert on MACINTOSH), I already know how to convert RAW
GOING POSTAL SINCE 1995 BABY

g3gg0

zachnfine

I downloaded the latest pre-built binary (was at http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/27a867063ed87d2f079cde5f8b577a88/mlv_rec.zip), placed its autoexec.bin at the root level of the SD card and the other files in modules, and am now experiencing a problem with the magiclantern menus in my 5D3 (as well as text displayed on the liveview screen when shooting). It's now as if my camera's screen is cropping its input (looks almost like overscan), as if the buffer for the screen is larger than the screen's resolution and it's just displaying a center extraction. Even the boot screen features text cropped at the edges. And the explanatory text for ML menu options runs on top of other menu items and off the screen.

I've removed my config files and restored defaults, but that didn't help. Perhaps I was using a sufficiently-old set of ML files that I'm missing some new smaller font that would make everything fit? The text all looks huge compared to what it was with my last set of ML files (was recording raw, but didn't have MLV 2.0).

Thanks for any help or info. Here's a screenshot showing what menus look like:

Greg

zachnfine

It's odd --I have fonts files, was recording raw just fine before, and everything looked fine. Can someone tell me which distribution of magic lantern has the files that are compatible with the mov 2.0 autoexec and modules? The latest? Or do I need to backtrack a few versions?

zachnfine

Alright, got the latest 5D3 magic lantern files in there and it's all looking good now. Great to see the rapid pace of development!

I'm having  a bit of trouble, likely expected with these cutting edge builds. I'd love to have magic zoom but remove the text on the screen that tells me the names of the two files that are being written, as it's covering at least 20% of the video with those names and bitrates. All I want to see is magic zoom and a timer telling me the length of the recording. Haven't discovered the right option though I've explored every possible menu as far as I can tell.

I'm finding that if I set for spanning, I can only record about 10 seconds of 1080p23.976 raw video before it skips a frame and stops. But if I turn off spanning it records continuously just fine. Maybe it's due to the speed (or lack thereof) of my SD card? My CF is a Komputerbay 1050X 128Gb that's been working great for 1080p23.976 canon raw for the past couple of months.

One feature idea: I record second system audio using a r0de videomic plugged into a zoom H1. A pretty cheap, nice=sounding combo. It'd be neat if the camera had a way of outputting a series of beeps at the start of recording that would identify the name of the filename to which the audio recording would belong. Morse code perhaps? Maybe the name of the clip in morse over the first couple of seconds of the clip and then a beep that coincides with the exact frame on the 3 second mark to use to sync? Or a beep that coincides with a little dot in the corner of the frame, fire the flash, darken the frame, something that can be used visually to line up with the beep. Anyway, just throwing that out there in case it makes sense to anyone (or in case it's already in there and I haven't noticed).

g3gg0

Quote from: zachnfine on November 29, 2013, 05:47:53 AM
One feature idea: I record second system audio using a r0de videomic plugged into a zoom H1. A pretty cheap, nice=sounding combo. It'd be neat if the camera had a way of outputting a series of beeps at the start of recording that would identify the name of the filename to which the audio recording would belong. Morse code perhaps? Maybe the name of the clip in morse over the first couple of seconds of the clip and then a beep that coincides with the exact frame on the 3 second mark to use to sync? Or a beep that coincides with a little dot in the corner of the frame, fire the flash, darken the frame, something that can be used visually to line up with the beep. Anyway, just throwing that out there in case it makes sense to anyone (or in case it's already in there and I haven't noticed).

did you try the SMPTE module?

zachnfine

I haven't yet tried the SMPTE module. I've got a 3.5mm dual-mono to stereo splitter cable ordered, and once it arrives I'll try running the camera's headphone jack into 1 channel of my zoom H1 and the videomic into the other. Maybe I can get Resolve or some other program to recognize the timecode track. I've read all the comments here and am not sure if anyone's gotten the module to work for syncing.

mhimhi

Hello! I can't get this working on 5d Markiii! How shall I do? I have copied the autoexect.bat  and other stuff on the sd card over the old one, but the camera won't start. Am I missing something?? Thank u!

jose_ugs

First, you make sure you're running the nighly off that SD card. Then you copy the autoexec.bin and the rest of the files from the mlv_rec.zip. Next step, enable the new module and go with the flow :)
If your camera won't start... go back to step 1.

Quote from: mhimhi on December 04, 2013, 11:39:16 AM
Hello! I can't get this working on 5d Markiii! How shall I do? I have copied the autoexect.bat  and other stuff on the sd card over the old one, but the camera won't start. Am I missing something?? Thank u!

jose_ugs

I'm getting some f@#$d up frames when using Card spanning:

You can download the whole snippet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw7vewpyv4xc9u6/Comp%201.mp4
Here's the rundown:
1920x508 @ 50fps / 2.25:1 / Global Draw On / Auto Preview / Memory hack On / Extra Hacks On (KB 32GB 1000X CF & SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro SD)
Same settings, Card spanning Off will give me almost perfect results (just a single frame gets "busy" somewhere in the first 10-20frames)...
Ideas?

g3gg0

when you watch the video frame by frame in MLV Viewer, is there smth weird to see?

jose_ugs

jose_ugs

Say Hi to mlv_rec in the nightlies:
Changelog for 2013-12-11 02:11:09 +0200
8881: Add mlv_rec to nightly builds

g3gg0

Quote from: jose_ugs on December 11, 2013, 10:37:20 AM
Say Hi to mlv_rec in the nightlies:
Changelog for 2013-12-11 02:11:09 +0200
8881: Add mlv_rec to nightly builds

;)

ItsMeLenny

ooooh, i'll have to go get the nightly (on 550D too right?)

What is the current differences at this point in time between raw_rec and mlv_rec?
Is there some sort of comparison list for the now rather than for what its plans are?

AnotherDave

Any chance we'll soon have the option to move the recording information to the upper part of the screen like the legacy RAW format?