Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stedda

MLV has been available in Nightly builds for weeks if not longer.... and was available even longer as an extra download.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

swinxx

hmm i cant find it..

when i download todays nightly for canon5dmk3 there is only a mlv_play module, but no mlv_rec module.

thx.

Stedda

Hmmm.... maybe I added mine through this thread a while back then...

Go to the first page download the prebuilt files and you're off....
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

swinxx

I know that i can dl it here. But i just wanted to mention that it would be a great idea to add it to the nightlys

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

swinxx

very nice.
mlv2dng is not working here with mac 10.9 and the latest mlv_rec module for 5dmk3
thx.

link: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.msg87994;topicseen#msg87994

g3gg0

use ''mlv_dump --dng'' for splitting mlv files into DNGs
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

swinxx

great worked. thank you.  :)

as i am not a developer or a terminal guy, a gui would be so great

g3gg0

i am planning to make the commandline parameters similar to raw2dng, so you simply can replace the .exe for GUIs that call native tools.

Danne

Hi!
I,m such an illiterate when it comes to terminal in mac. Please help me out. I drag my file to the terminal which creates a directory? Then I type in "mlv_dump --dng"
Nothing gets converted? Check the picture

swinxx

hello

first i wanna say that spanned recording works great and i can record 1920x1290 continuously.
i also successfully converted those spanned files with the available mlv_dump version for the mac.

some things that would be great for future gui versions on macs:

- preview of the files - also spanned files(player)
- to be able to batch convert a bunch of files at once into different directories named after the file names (also for spanned files)
- to be able to convert dualiso shots too:)

it would also be great to implement a in camera function to delete bad takes really quick after the shot (also when recorded in spanned mode) perhaps with only one button.  that would really be handy..

thx so far - really great stuff and i hope that the progress will go on

swinxx

@danne

everthing great mlv_dump --dng and then take the file which should be converted from the finder and drop it in the terminal.
worked for me..;)

Danne

Hi Swinxx! Could you upload a screenshot of your terminal when you get this going? Or maybe be more specific on the mlv_dump --dng. Do you doubleclick the mlv_dump file or what? Sorry but I can,t get this rigth yet.
Thanks
//D

swinxx

no,

put the dump file into the dir where you want to convert the files

open terminal
to go to the directory where you have the mlv_dump file and the file to convert type "cd" into the terminal and drag and drop the dir from the findet into the terminal.
then type "mlv_dump --dng" and take the file which you want to convert and drag and drop it into the findet.
then press enter.. this is how it works here.

Danne

Hi Swinxx. Sorry but I must be doing something wrong. It goes like this.
1 - I open terminal then type "cd".
2 - Then I drag my directory with the mlv file and the mlv_dump.
3 - write mlv_dump --dng
4 - drag the .mlv file I want to convert and hit enter.

Do I miss space or hitting enter somewhere?

I get this

g3gg0

1. don't use spaces
2. first cd into a directory ("cd  <directory>" and note the SPACE after cd)
3. then execute "./mlv_dump --dng <filename>" (ENTER THE FILENAME MANUALLY WITHOUT ANY PATH)
4. if this works, try using drag'n'drop or whatever, but first try to get it executing the most simple way as described in 1. to 3.

Danne

Thanks for helping. Not quite there though.
Got something about illegal instruction, then tried typing "sudo" which created segmentation fault? Such a noob night :)
Nice work on the browser related to the viewer by the way

pics of terminal fail

kgv5

I am trying to switch from raw to mlv back again ao i just added mlv_rec.mo to MODULES folder.
Right now i am testing mlv file spanning at 2,5k 2,35:1 24fps  (5d3, CF: KB64 1000x, SD sandisk 45MB/s). I dont know, if this was reported but i tried many times and expected frames number doesnt work properly, for example it shows 1200 and skips after 600 (buffer dots are somewhere in half of the scale and it suddenly stops). Couple months ago just when mlv starts i remember this was very reliable.

Next thing is "beep" sound - could we have a beep when recording starts and stops? Now there is only when stops. THanks
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Scheme2Cream

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 12, 2013, 12:06:41 AM
1. don't use spaces
3. then execute "./mlv_dump --dng <filename>" (ENTER THE FILENAME MANUALLY WITHOUT ANY PATH)
4. if this works, try using drag'n'drop or whatever, but first try to get it executing the most simple way as described in 1. to 3.

I am new to the forums, I've done a lot of searching on the web looking for quick and easy tutorials to convert my MLV files to RAW.
I've hit a road block with the "MLV_DUMP" via terminal solution.

Just wanted to say thank you "g3gg0" for posting very clear step by step directions on how to do this. I'm obviously doing it wrong..

Quick overview of my situation.

My Camera
5D Mark II

My Computer system
Macintosh OS X 10.9 "Mavericks"

I downloaded the Alpha_One_5D Mark II Magic lantern file from Nightly build website.

I've tried looking through the magic lantern settings via my 5D Mark II to see if there is a way to just shoot in RAW or DNG format directly, because I read in one forum someone suggested changing the file format from MLV to RAW. I was unable to find the setting to do just that..

I need help, and I've recorded my desktop typing in all the tips that everyone provided in this thread and I keep getting errors. I figured recording exactly what I'm doing in terminal should help everyone narrow down what I'm doing wrong in this process.
Please help!

Thank you!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ogodHSHww&feature=youtu.be

Please set video quality to 1080P so you can read exactly what I'm typing in terminal...

sebamax

1. don't use spaces
Thanks, work fine,
I finally did

g3gg0

Quote from: Danne on November 12, 2013, 12:42:40 AM
Thanks for helping. Not quite there though.
Got something about illegal instruction, then tried typing "sudo" which created segmentation fault? Such a noob night :)
Nice work on the browser related to the viewer by the way

pics of terminal fail

is the binary without any parameters running fine?

g3gg0

frenchps49

1. don't use spaces

Worked for me too. Maybe it is useful to say that mlv_dump should be in the same folder as the .mlv files.
Thanks for the great work. Hope for sound soon.

Danne

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 12, 2013, 09:25:12 AM
is the binary without any parameters running fine?

Don,t know how to check binary but tried doubleclicking the mlv_dum file which resulted in "illegal instruction"?

g3gg0

This means that the binary is not for your processor