Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

Quote from: mkrjf on September 13, 2013, 06:55:27 PM
And as someone hinted - will there be raw container support for sync-sound?

the container is designed to get perfect sync between audio and video.
there is just no implementation for audio yet.

anyone wants to implement?

about performance:
yeah, the new format sacrifices a few MiB/s, but i think there is still some room for optimization.
but the numbers are not always that important - with the new format a lot of other advantages come up - metadata on nearly per-frame basis :)

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: g3gg0 on September 13, 2013, 09:55:03 PM
the container is designed to get perfect sync between audio and video.
there is just no implementation for audio yet.

anyone wants to implement?

I love RAW but all my videos are muted!  I will not carry additional recording audio because it is too complex for wildlife videos.  I really would love to have this implemented or to bring back the out of synch video-audio option.  There is a lot of people like me that could use it!  Not all video recording is done in a studio!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Muf

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 14, 2013, 04:25:40 PM
I love RAW but all my videos are muted!  I will not carry additional recording audio because it is too complex for wildlife videos.  I really would love to have this implemented or to bring back the out of synch video-audio option.  There is a lot of people like me that could use it!  Not all video recording is done in a studio!
Then you'll have to wait. RAW video is after all still experimental.

xNiNELiVES

An audio thread pertaining to the current sub-discussion: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7890.msg70058#msg70058
It would should also work for the H4N...

1%

Quoteyeah, the new format sacrifices a few MiB/s, but i think there is still some room for optimization.

There definitely is... write test LV open in play mode gives 91.8MB/s... something is using the CPU/taking edmac time.

Doyle4

Im sure there was a build for 600d that had the mlv module with it... cant seem too find it anymore  :(

oddname

So how is this module coming along? Feels like it is some time since one read news :)
Still waiting eagerly for the 5d2 version :P

RenatoPhoto

@ g3g00:  When I compile the modules in https://bitbucket.org/g3gg0/magic-lantern/commits/all  I get the same error in all modules:

Any help would be appreciated.

magiclantern@magiclantern-VirtualBox:~/G3GGo/magic-lantern/modules/autoexpo$ make clean
[ RM ]  autoexpo.o autoexpo.mo autoexpo.sym autoexpo.dep module_strings.h *.o *.d *.bmp *.dep *.sym
magiclantern@magiclantern-VirtualBox:~/G3GGo/magic-lantern/modules/autoexpo$ make
[ README   ]   module_strings.h
[ DIFF     ]   module_strings.h
/bin/sh: 1: ../module_hginfo_create.sh: Permission denied
make: *** [module_strings.h] Error 126

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

escho

Make module_hginfo_create.sh executable

or change Makefile.modules like this:

diff -r e428f411e2ca modules/Makefile.modules
--- a/modules/Makefile.modules  Sun Sep 15 10:55:26 2013 +0200
+++ b/modules/Makefile.modules  Sun Sep 15 14:50:52 2013 +0200
@@ -26,7 +26,7 @@

module_strings.h: FORCE README.rst
        $(call build,README, $(PYTHON) ../readme2modulestrings.py > $@)
-       $(call build,DIFF, ../module_hginfo_create.sh >> $@)
+       $(call build,DIFF, sh ../module_hginfo_create.sh >> $@)

README.rst:
        $(call build,README,echo -e "$(MODULE_NAME)\n========\n\nPlease write a one-page description for your module here.\n\nYou may also add some metadata:\n\n:Author: <your name here>\n:License: <your license here>\n:Website: <your website here>\n\n" > $@)

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

g3gg0

Quote from: escho on September 16, 2013, 05:20:26 PM
Make module_hginfo_create.sh executable

can you provide a patch for this?
on windows i cant do that :)
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

escho

Oh, Windows, I see! I didn´t realize, that there exist a operating system called Windows, too. :)
My solution is for compiling from a Linux-machine.

I´m not sure, Windows can understand bash-scripts (foo.sh) natively.

Using Windows I cannot help, because I only use Linux

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

1%

MSYS is really nice... like power shell + cmd + bash all together... it let me use wildcards in cr2hdr when normal cmd wouldn't. Would probably execute the .sh scripts.

AnotherDave

Been out of a loop for a bit here... wondering where I can find the newest compiled version.

Things in this forum are getting a bit hard to follow...

kaktus

Cant use mlv_rec.mo on 6D. Message "OldAPI". I dont known why... Using "DualIso-FullPack" at 2013-08-11. What am doing wrong? What do I need to adjust?

g3gg0

in the main post in this thread thread is a _very_ simple and hackish MLV viewer to check your footage
it will read uncompressed MLV files and display the frames with just a few frames per second.
this tool was programmed in C# on windows, but it uses nothing windows-specific, so it should run on any OS using mono.

please remind:
- this tool is just a PROOF OF CONCEPT
- it is not meant as productional tool
- i used it to check what is necessary to decode and view MLV files, its just my playground
- it has bugs!
- it will most likely not be continued
- i shared it as a last resort tool in case you need something like that

notes:
- shows the video in half resolution to simplify debayering
- ramps exposure up/down if there is under/overexposure (so it may not be accurate enough for some of you)
- has no white balance algorithm
- just tested on 5D3, other cameras have different bayer patterns - didnt check them yet
- it uses the coefficients from the raw info block, so color weighting should be correct
- the scene is scaled to TV black and white levels (16..235) for a better looking playback

thanks to alex for giving me a lot of hints on how to process raw data efficiently

arrinkiiii

britom

7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

oddname

That is awesome, allways wanted to be able to preview files before extracting etc =)

Stedda

5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: g3gg0 on September 21, 2013, 02:43:29 AM
here is a _very_ simple and hackish MLV viewer to check your footage
it will read uncompressed MLV files and display the frames with just a few frames per second.
this tool was programmed in C# on windows, but it uses nothing windows-specific, so it should run on any OS using mono.

Thank you g3g00, and Alex for the help!

I tried it with mlv files from 5D3 and 7D and works very well at all resolutions, cropped video, and 60 fps.  Also payed spanned files!

In windows 7 64 bits I open the program and the drag the file, after a little delay the player functions properly.

I hope your pull request is merged to unified soon!

Thanks for your great work and support. ;D ;D

g3gg0

thanks for the feedback.
the initial delay is when the tool scans all MLV chunks and creates an index.
so it knows the order of the blocks to process.

g3gg0

update:

- fixed some crashing situations e.g. when pressing alt (downside: inefficient code)
- use color matrix from the raw info instead of hardcoded, so the colors should look better
- scaled colors to TV range (16..235) for a nicer look

hookah

Wow what a great tool !!!! VERY useful..
Just cleaned-up/deleted all my small test MLV videos  :)
5D3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4 + 100mm 2.8 macro + 15mm

oddname

Does one dare to ask if there is a module that works on the 5D2 yet? =)

g3gg0

i dont know what is wrong on 5D2. there were just reports of "hanging" module.
can you explain the problem in detail?