Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oddname

Any chance someone can do a Mk2 version soon to play around with? =)
Considering it seems to work quite well on the Mk3.

g3gg0

it supports no audio recording yet.
SMPTE (LTC coded audio) is an experimental module that outputs a sound signal that can be read and processed (or not) with special equipment.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Doyle4

is there a mac conversion software? would love to test this out.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Doyle4 on August 28, 2013, 02:00:10 PM
is there a mac conversion software? would love to test this out.
Reply 420
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

RenatoPhoto

at g3ggo: 5D3 does not compile

error:
module.o: In function `module_shutdown':
module.c:(.text+0x2328): undefined reference to `module_save_configs'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [magiclantern] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/magiclantern/G3GGo/magic-lantern/platform/5D3.113'
make: *** [5D3] Error 2
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

gerk.raisen

It's possible to add the delta of exposure value (the value in XMP line crs:Exposure2012=) to 2.0 specs?
So that the converter can recreate other than DNG files also xmp file and you can obtain a perfect deflickered files.

I am often in similar situation of this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7739.0 or with some little-than-normal-speed timelapse with sunset for example

but sorry I can't offer 100$  :)

a1ex

That value has to be computed from raw data, and it's CPU-intensive, so what's the point of including it in the raw format?

gerk.raisen

For sunset (especially for the last part) I use often RAW videos because I need to use values under 1 second not available in intervalometer like 2-5fps
but I really miss a lot the deflicker possibility.
It's very important to achieve a good results because the luminosity change a lot in small time.

Maybe is possible to write the raw exposure data and compute it after in the converter?
So we can lighten the CPU.
After all If I understood correctly the frame exposure data used (aperture, iso and shutter value) are already present in 2.0 format.

Thank you much.

a1ex

That would be a feature in the converter, nothing to do with metadata. Not even exposure values.

gerk.raisen

Thank you,

I was think that ML compute the XMP exposure number with the difference between the exposure calculated and the exposure that camera apply.
So what raw data use ML to calculate XMP?
Can you calculate it in post without any additional data other than the standard exif?

a1ex

That's how post deflicker is working. Deflicker data is just the median of the green channel (simplest implementation). If you want all channels, you need to apply WB before median.

gerk.raisen

Ok, last thing.
For the median of green channel you mean the measured green channel value and not the green channel value of the taken photo, right?
So for an implementation of post deflicker in the converter you need to have (other than the frame exposed data used (aperture, iso and shutter value)) also the measured green channel value that normally you don't have, neither in exif of CR2's files right?

Thank you.

a1ex

No, you compute it in post from the pixels that you find in the video file. You can't do that in the camera...

gerk.raisen

Perfect :) , This time  I hope this time I understood correctly :) :)
With an implementation of post-deflicker in the converter (without add any values other than frame exposed data used) we can obtain the SAME results of the post-deflicker correction value calculated on-camera in case of intervalometer still photo, right?

a1ex

Yes, or better.

I'll actually move the post deflicker to a PC-based tool again (it will operate on raw photo sequences, no matter how you got them - even from Nikon).

a1ex

Added a small proposal for the OFFS block (black correction info), and specified the units for digital ISO field in EXPO block (0.001 EV).

g3gg0

ok, cool.
will the EXPO update change the format as it is now?
i.e. would the parsers have to update their code to match the changes?
(it is ok, we just have to bump the version then)

I cannot check the changes as google docs is proxy-filtered.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

a1ex

I don't think any parser is using the digital ISO other than printing it. I've just updated the value from 1 to 1024 (so it's no longer limited to integer EV).

g3gg0

sletts02

Quote from: a1ex on August 29, 2013, 11:39:53 AM
Yes, or better.

I'll actually move the post deflicker to a PC-based tool again (it will operate on raw photo sequences, no matter how you got them - even from Nikon).

Exciting stuff a1ex! Is there a thread that I can follow regarding this?

Happy to still put the $100 down once you've got it implemented ;)

Great work!

dmk

I'm a bit confused about the plan to implement LZMA compression (MLV_VIDEO_CLASS_FLAG_LZMA in mlv.h)

Will that be happening on the camera side in order to remove (or reduce) the CF card speed as a bottleneck? OR is it not really going to help CF card speed requirements, and it's just about storage?

g3gg0

Quote from: dmk on September 01, 2013, 07:20:15 AMit's just about storage?

this. its for archiving.

test footage can be compressed to 50% of the original size without any information loss.
do this on your computer and you save a lot of space for archiving.

you can also reduce bit depth to e.g. 10 bits and you get it down to 30%-40% of original size.

dmk

Oh... so it wouldn't help the CF Card speed limit to compress on the fly, i.e. time it takes to compress > time it takes to just write the data straight (or some other issue)?

g3gg0

Quote from: dmk on September 01, 2013, 08:41:42 PM
Oh... so it wouldn't help the CF Card speed limit to compress on the fly, i.e. time it takes to compress > time it takes to just write the data straight (or some other issue)?

sure, just tell me how i can configure the EDMAC to compress data with LZMA..

dariSSight

Quote from: g3gg0 on September 01, 2013, 08:53:25 PM
sure, just tell me how i can configure the EDMAC to compress data with LZMA..
Thanks for everything Team Magic Lantern has accomplished for the Independent Film Industry Community, it has helped me in very advance ways. Also I was wondering is there a light in the tunnel for 5D Mark II to receive Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0?
Canon 5D Mark II