Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

interesting, i ran the mlv_dump i posted too. before the patch, it crashed, after fixing it, it properly exported some frames.

are you sure the build job finished before you got the .exe?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

Quote from: pulsar124 on September 24, 2017, 03:27:23 AM
« Reply #2123 on: Today at 03:27:23 AM »

Build History:
#4​8 Sep 24, 2017 4:56 AM

-> the build process took longer. thus you downloaded the old version of mlv_dump with code that could crash.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

pulsar124

Indeed - I didn't realize it wasn't done yet. I just tried the newest build, and it worked. Thanks!

High-Octane

Hi man,
While some people still believe Magic Lantern and RAW recording on Canon DSLR cameras is hacky, unproven, and unusable in any type of "production" fashion, I'm here to show you how they aren't. You just need to know what to expect and be slightly prepared.
Here are a few things you can expect when shooting Magic Lantern RAW:
1.  You will need a massive amount of hard drive storage on set. Each hour will eat up around ~350-400GBs, depending on the exact resolution & if the sound is recorded. Make sure you have a few HDDs.
2. You should have a DIT on set who does nothing but offload cards and check the MLV files, if the production has the budget or you can wrangle someone to handle this very important task.
3. Each card will only hold between 11-22 min of footage, so you will be switching cards quite a bit. Think of it like you are shooting film, and you have to plan more carefully. It may be a limitation and CAN kill time, but not if you plan around it. Bring a least 3 1066x (or faster) CF cards and\or have an organized and efficient cycle of downloading the CF cards to avoid too much downtime. *Some people swear by 1000x, some by 1066x. Depends on the brand of CF card apparently.
4. While the camera could have the occasional "crash", no need to panic, as cycling the camera on\off or pulling the battery will almost always fix it. Some models (5D Mark II, III) are far more stable than others (7D). This article is written from the perspective of working with the least stable model, and I've had only a few issues.
source from:http://www.cineticstudios.com/blog/2014/08/the-easy-way-to-use-magic-lantern-raw-straight-to-prores.html
good luck

Removed the second link //Audionut

Markus

Using 256gb CF cards and lossless compression gives you 80min+ rec times on one card. Really good if you wanna film documentary or interviews in raw! A couple of 256gb cards and you're set for a whole day of shooting :-)
Mk3 ML raw + da vinci resolve is awesome!

tajino

Is there any way I could save only odd or even frames out from an input MLV file and output that into a new MLV file?

I need to do this to save some space of redundant duplicated frames of some MLV written by mlv_rec.mo that wrote duplicated frames in 1fps frame override mode in 1x crop on 5D2.

I tried -f switch but that only allows input of frame or frame range, not comma delimited frame numbers, -f 0,2,4,6,8 for example.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

togg

Quote from: Markus on January 16, 2018, 05:46:28 PM
Using 256gb CF cards and lossless compression gives you 80min+ rec times on one card. Really good if you wanna film documentary or interviews in raw! A couple of 256gb cards and you're set for a whole day of shooting :-)
Mk3 ML raw + da vinci resolve is awesome!

which kind of lossless compression? I'm a bit lost with the latest developement :) if you can point me to the right thread it would be a big help!

thenickdude

Just a note for anybody having trouble exporting audio recorded with mlv_snd. My MLV videos started with the "WAVI" chunk that describes the audio configuration, which is good:

# mlv_dump --visualize --skip-xref M25-1629.MLV

Processing...
[MLVI]
[RAWI][RAWC][IDNT][EXPO][LENS][RTCI][WBAL][VERS]++++++++[WAVI][NULL]
[VIDF]+++++++++++++++++++++++[AUDF]++++++++++++++++++++++[NULL]
[VIDF]++++++++++++++++[AUDF]++++++++[NULL]++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Reached end of chunk 1/1 after 947 blocks
Processed 592 video frames at 0.01 FPS (86558.85 s)

But for some reason the "WAVI" chunk appeared last in the "IDX" index file:

# mlv_dump --visualize M25-1629.MLV

M25-1629.MLV File M25-1629.IDX opened (XREF)
XREF table contains 730 entries
Processing...
[MLVI]
[RAWI][RAWC][IDNT][EXPO][LENS][RTCI][WBAL][VERS]++++++++[AUDF]
[VIDF]++++[AUDF]
[VIDF]++++[AUDF]
[VIDF]++++[AUDF]
[VIDF]++++[AUDF]
[VIDF]++++[AUDF]
[VIDF]++++[AUDF]
[VIDF]++++[AUDF]
[VIDF]++++[AUDF]
[VIDF]+[AUDF][WAVI]
Reached end of all files after 730 blocks
Processed 592 video frames at 0.01 FPS (86558.85 s)
Done

When dumping the video using mlv_dump, it seems to read the chunks in the order specified in the index, so although it encountered "AUDF" chunks throughout the video, it never wrote them to the wav file, because it hadn't seen the "WAVI" audio information chunk yet. This resulted in an empty 2kB wav file.

Adding "--skip-xref" to the mlv_dump command fixed this and I recovered my 4.6MB of audio! (i.e. mlv_dump --dng --skip-xref M25-1629.MLV)

Danne

Kharak

@Danne,

Please can you make and update to your Batch_MLV-in-out script.

"Adding "--skip-xref" to the mlv_dump command fixed this and I recovered my 4.6MB of audio! (i.e. mlv_dump --dng --skip-xref M25-1629.MLV)"

This might be the fix for extracting all audio from lossless MLV's in your script/app.
once you go raw you never go back

Danne

I see what I can do. Don´t even have a windows os anywhere close. Might be able to fix it on my mac. No promises.

Danne

@Kharak
Could you test this version:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/batch_mlv/downloads/batch_mlv_io_test.zip

Baked on my mac, completely untested. menu item 18 will set skip xref if working.

Kharak

Yes, i will test ASAP and report back.

Thank you!

Kharak

QuoteAdding "--skip-xref" to the mlv_dump command fixed this and I recovered my 4.6MB of audio! (i.e. mlv_dump --dng --skip-xref M25-1629.MLV)

I have tested this and it seems to completely solve my audio issues with Lossless 14 bit. Thank you!

Danne added a very neat option in his Batch script for --skip-xref.  https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/batch_mlv/downloads/batch_mlv_in-out.zip

edit: cant get it to UNQUOTE this part, only top part is supposed to be in quotes

Danne

Great. Only included a function already there but good it works.

Sganzerla

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I've found something odd...

I got a new Zeiss lens and when I take pictures with it, my ACR (Photoshop RAW converter) can read its metadata and apply 'lens profile adjustment' automatically.
When I create video .dng files using mlv_dump (I tested MLVApp too) I can't make it apply the adjustment automatically - it is behaving as it does not have any metadata related to the lens used but the info about 'focal length', shutter, aperture, ISO, are all there!

With my Canon and Sigma lenses this problem doesn't happen, only with my new Zeiss Distagon ZE (Canon mount).

Any light on this issue?

Danne

@g3gg0 @a1ex
Noticed apple is cabling out MacOS Catalina - 64bit only. So I notice mlv_dump is 32bit only. Hm, planning on upgrading here maybe :)?

file /Users/danne/Desktop/Switch.app/Contents/mlv_dump
/Users/danne/Desktop/Switch.app/Contents/mlv_dump: Mach-O executable i386

Same story with cr2hdr...

EDIT:
Went into the makefile and changed:
# to allow x64 binaries. doesn't work on OSX, seems to SIGSEGV for some reason.
ifndef USE_X64
    MLV_CFLAGS += -m32
    MLV_LFLAGS += -m32
endif

to
# to allow x64 binaries. doesn't work on OSX, seems to SIGSEGV for some reason.
ifndef USE_X64
    MLV_CFLAGS += -m64
    MLV_LFLAGS += -m64
endif

Seems to work:
file /Users/danne/magic-lantern_jip-hop/modules/mlv_rec/mlv_dump
/Users/danne/magic-lantern_jip-hop/modules/mlv_rec/mlv_dump: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

Maybe this will compile for 64bit automatically if the system is without 32bit architecture? Didn´t check since not on Catalina yet...

dfort

Just tried it on macOS Catalina, version 10.15 and it works. Needed to use the Apple compiler, I haven't gotten Homebrew gcc-5 working yet.

ilia3101

dfort

Good question, that's just the way I had the build environment setup before switching over to Catalina. The Apple compiler has always worked for mlv_dump and also for ML (it is mostly using the arm compiler for that) but there was a problem when building cr2hdr. In any case a quick fix for users that have updated to the new OS is working now.

ilia3101

Good to hear it is working. Though I probably won't update to Catalina.

I wonder if mlv_dump works with gcc-9 on macOS.

Danne

Cr2hdr needs some love here from a1ex to get into 64bit compiling. Seems g3gg0 prepared mlv_dump for 64bit architecture so it was a quick change to make it work.

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks for sharing the temp fix @Danne -- gonna try this out out on my MBP running Catalina.

I need to get your Switch app working again for my Dual-ISO photo work.  :o
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

I,m starting to feel imbecile trying to get the latest revised mlv_dump to work with Switch, Compiler & MLV_App too while on Catalina...  :-\

Edit:

It's been fixed — Thanks @Danne & @Ilia3101!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

andicgn

Is it possible to record straight in dng lossless?