Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpjpandone

I'm sorry, I was wrong, it does not start at 00:00:00:02, it starts at 00:00:00:00

00:00:00,00
00:00:00,01
... then the frames get dropped
00:00:59,28
00:00:59,29
00:01:00,02
00:01:00,03
(etc.)

g3gg0

yeah and now record for 24 hours then the 24th hour 24:00:00 is again a multiple of 10 minutes...
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

rob_6

I am getting this message when trying record one continuous clip on a 64GB card: "Failed to create file. Card full?"  I get this error at around 40gb or 10 minutes. The camera locks up and I have to force the restart. Is this a known issue? I am having this problem with mlv-rec on my 7D.203 and 5D3.113.

Anyone have the same problem or know if any setting to change to resolve the issue?

dpjpandone

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 27, 2014, 10:22:58 PM
yeah and now record for 24 hours then the 24th hour 24:00:00 is again a multiple of 10 minutes...

Now I understand the problem...

I guess normal timecode does not have this problem because it is linear (not cyclic) so it never loops around and goes back to 0 like our daily clock. You start at 0 and just keep on counting. So since this is in effect a new system we are designing that is based around a cyclic master clock, I think that the choice is really up to you. What makes the most sense?

Should we abandon the idea of using RTC as master clock, and allow user to set time to 00:00:00:00 using the shutter or half-shutter button?
This would offer the following advantage:

a splitter cable can be made that links several camera's shutter ports together, you enter the timecode menu on all of them, and then press the shutter button on just one camera, and they all reset to 00:00:00:00 simultaneously. Now the cables can be removed and the cameras are free to move about and start/stop as they wish.

This is how traditional timecode works, and is perhaps a better model than my initial proposal.

g3gg0

got the RTC and µs timer in sync with about 200 µsec accuracy stable within 30 minutes.

still my statement is that SMPTE isnt selfexplaining. it is full of quirks and only partially consequent stuff.
it leaves too much room for the implementation that would cause trouble to someone sooner or later.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

dpjpandone

You are absolutely right. I've been thinking about this a lot. Using the RTC as reference gives us the advantage that we can turn the camera off and on and still keep our 0 reference from the beginning of the day.  Does it make sense to set a certain time of day as 0 and just count up from there until we hit 99:99:99:99 then force user to set a new 0 ? I think most projects would reset at least once per day, so I think the scenario of running out of timecode is unlikely.

I don't know if you made peace with this or not, I know SMPTE is a very old spec that predates computers... Please let me know if you need additional input, I don't wish to jack the entire MLVREC thread for this timecode idea, and I know there are lots of other things you are working on, so I'l give it a rest until you bring it up again. Thanks for all your hard work!

ted ramasola

@g3gg0

Testing May 23 NB and the static/buzzing noise I reported here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg115953#msg115953

is still present.

I tested both with agc ON and agc off.

Here is a link to one wav file extracted from an MLV recording.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3w0babsv9eqprop/M28-1205.wav

this one with agc OFF  using internal mic.

In a series of batch tests, it appears 8x out of 17 clips.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

g3gg0

please upload the .mlv as i dont get such effects.
here some example how it looks on 5d3:

ted ramasola

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 28, 2014, 09:37:32 PM
please upload the .mlv as i dont get such effects.

Ok, since I already deleted the mlv for that wav, I did another batch test.

Here is the link to an approx, 10 second MLV file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ir84sa4vnkpuu4m/M28-2329.MLV

This is the first clip recorded after doing an in-camera format.
AGC is OFF
Sound source -internal mic.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

SirDeVoir

hi

just installed last nightly built
seems to work fine.
just shooted a 4min30sec with mlv_rec. No problem.
thats greta !! thank you very much.

i noticed that when i press the SET button when shooting video (mlv or raw_rec) it freeze the screen; then i am not able to turn off the camera; Is it a known issue ?

soorry for my english
, i'm best in french  ; )

N/A

Having trouble deleting MLV files after playing them back in camera on the 7D, then using the mlv_play menu to delete it. There's a beep at the beginning of playback, and attempting to delete it causes it to hangs up, not exit the play menu or go to another clip, I have to press half shutter to exit it. Then an error pops up, Deleting 'A:DCIM/100EOS7D/M29-2131.MLV' failed, retrying...

If I reboot, press play again and try to delete it again, same thing. But if I reboot and delete through the file manager, it deletes fine.

Seems to only be only shots on shots done in crop mode, with MLV sound off or on.

magiclantern-Nightly.2014May30.7D203

Memory leak, possibly? Seems like it can play back the normal crop videos and delete them just fine, but anything bigger than 1728 causes it to hang.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

g3gg0

Quote from: SirDeVoir on May 30, 2014, 01:29:34 AM
i noticed that when i press the SET button when shooting video (mlv or raw_rec) it freeze the screen; then i am not able to turn off the camera; Is it a known issue ?

which model?
did you try reset ML settings to default? (backup your ML.cfg before so we can reproduce)

g3gg0

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 29, 2014, 08:40:08 AM
Ok, since I already deleted the mlv for that wav, I did another batch test.

confirmed the bug, seems audio data was never written there. weird.
5D2 it is?

SirDeVoir

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 30, 2014, 09:40:49 AM
which model?
did you try reset ML settings to default? (backup your ML.cfg before so we can reproduce)

I had just downloaded the last nighty built and replaced all the files on the SD card. So i presume the settings wad to default.

SirDeVoir

Walter Schulz

No, overwriting ML directory will not reset customized settings. Delete ML directory first.

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

SirDeVoir

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 30, 2014, 02:59:38 PM
No, overwriting ML directory will not reset customized settings. Delete ML directory first.

I deleted ML File on the SD card, the installed the new one
I restored ML default in Prefs / Config files Menu
rebooted
then loaded MLV_play MLV_rec MLV_sound modules
recorded in MLV mode.
same results if I press SET button. Screen freeze. Impossible to turn off the camera.

dpjpandone

I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bug, let me know if I should create an issue for the following:

When monitoring RAW in hdmi with global draw enabled, the preview image is not centered vertically on the external monitor. I have a zacuto EVF with a cropmarks feature, I set the zacuto cropmarks to the same aspect as I'm shooting in, the preview image is offset too high on the external monitor. When i disable global draw, the full screen output is centered and I can frame perfectly with the zacuto's cropmarks.

Camera is 7D with may 24th nightly. I think my monitor has a frame capture feauture. I'll try to do a screengrab and post it.

honza123

Hello, I use a camera 600D ML Nightly.2014May13.600D102  mlv_rec.mo + mlv_snd.mo. But, sometimes my camera records correct sound - waw file and sometimes is wav file without any sound (flat line). I don know why. The settings of ML is same. RAW video is OK /1728x576, 11fps/. What should I do better? Thanks.
EOS 5D Mk.II

rob_6

Audionut suggested I post in this thread a problem that I have encountered with mlv_rec. I get a "Failed to create file. Card full?" error message when recording a continuous clip using a 64gb card at the 40gb and 8 minute and 13 seconds mark. The camera freezes at that point. This error also happens with my 7D at 40gb and around 10 minutes of recording.

You can view the thread discussion here for more details. Other users are seeing the same issue.

This happens when using both cameras:
-5D mark 3
-64gb Lexar Card
latest nightly build of firmware 113

-7D
-64gb Lexar Card
latest nightly build of firmware 203

g3gg0,
Do you have any idea what might be causing this? I really love using mlv_rec because I can have sound. This failure doesn't happen with raw_rec. Thanks so much for all the work you have done with mlv_rec. I appreciate it so much! Let me know if there is any other testing I could do to help narrow down the problem.

Thanks
Rob

Kuky

Hi,

If you shoot crop mode (x5 zoom) with a 5D Mark III and use FPS override (for example 24 exact FPS) MlRawViewer will report 29,776 fps. Maybe it's a metadata mistake.

I verified shooting a timer watch in crop mode. It's actually using the override setting. Here is an actual file (2,2 Gb): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3ncQl4hSqlnR096bXNWbk1PYTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Posted also in MlRawViewer thread.

dubzeebass

Quote from: Kuky on June 05, 2014, 04:53:59 PM
Hi,

If you shoot crop mode (x5 zoom) with a 5D Mark III and use FPS override (for example 24 exact FPS) MlRawViewer will report 29,776 fps. Maybe it's a metadata mistake.

I verified shooting a timer watch in crop mode. It's actually using the override setting. Here is an actual file (2,2 Gb): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3ncQl4hSqlnR096bXNWbk1PYTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Posted also in MlRawViewer thread.

Make sure you change your composition FPS. This is covered in the thread started by audionut about questions that are redundant. Also double posting. :-)

Kuky

Quote from: dubzeebass on June 06, 2014, 02:10:07 AM
Make sure you change your composition FPS. This is covered in the thread started by audionut about questions that are redundant. Also double posting. :-)

Composition FPS? What composition FPS? What thread? Search does not reveal any relevant results.

BTW, AE composition settings (maybe this is what you're talking about) has nothing to do with the fact that mlv has incorrect fps metadata when shooting crop mode. Of course you can interpret footage any way you like.

Audionut

The sticky to end all stickies. Read this first.

QuoteI recorded at 23.976 FPS, but my footage is showing as 30 FPS in my rendering software?

Your rendering software is set to use 30 FPS as default.  Change it!

Composition FPS?

baldand seems to think the problem is with the header.  IIRC, the correct FPS tag doesn't get written to files when using FPS override.  Until that is fixed, consider the quoted Q&A as correct, even though the wording doesn't exactly describe this problem.

edit:  Added a new Q&A.  Thanks for the heads up.