Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)

Started by g3gg0, July 15, 2013, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stpaloma

yes exFAT do faster than fat32 format.
the reason I use fat32 is 5dmark3 can not format card into exFAT.

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

jimmyD30

@g3gg0
Thank you! I will download the May 1st or later nightlie as the Apr 30 has the same error.

@ted
When I update different nightlies I always replace the entire ML folder (and all of its contents) and the autoexec.bin. The one thing I was concerned about though, recently they are including the .fir file in the nightlies and I was wondering if an older .fir file (which I noticed was 64.4kb from the stable release) is compatible with the newer nightlies wich comes with its own .fir file (37.8kb size)?

EDITED: Ok, Ted, I think I see what you mean now, DELETE all the existing build files then copy and paste the new ones, in case the settings file remains because the new nightlie doesn't contain one and so the old one might remain if just copy and pasting w/o deleting. Although I normally do what you suggest out of habit, I'll make sure that is the case going forward, good advice :-)

@reddeercity
Thank you for your comments, I asked you a similar question on a different thread, so feel free to answer over there (for the benefit of others as well) or disregard :-)

jimmyD30

Ok, tried May 2 build on 5dm2 and same issue, in-camera playback stops at frame 833 on 60 sec video at 24 fps. And info says frame count should be 1447, but after processing with MLV Converter 1.9.2 only 1441 frames and audio file is produced.

Does anyone know if this is to be expected or is something wrong with my setup?

g3gg0

no then its fine. if you hadnt any frame skips, those 6 frames could be a display / calculation error.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

jimmyD30

Ok, thank you. In the settings I don't allow for skipped frames during recording and so far the video looks good/complete after post-processing, so like you say, maybe a software/firmware calculation error. But I can tell you the in-camera viewer and the computer converting app both report the same higher frame count, yet the output results in a few frames less than what is reported.

So, I'll keep an eye on things and if the resulting video looks fine, I'll leave it at that :-)

g3gg0

The frame count is written in the file header. Seems that value is a bit off.
Got reports earlier, but that only a cosmetic problem, not causing any trouble so far.

Markus

Quote from: stpaloma on May 01, 2014, 05:09:22 PM
yes exFAT do faster than fat32 format.
the reason I use fat32 is 5dmark3 can not format card into exFAT.

If you got big cards formatted in exfat and format in camera the camera format the cards in exfat, atleast Im pretty sure that is the case...

5Djp

Latest build I turned on mlv_rec, and mlv_snd and its still recording a .mov file?  What did I forget to turn on?

thanks

5Djp

I found it,. neevermind.    This is amazing for this camera,.. and I just want to say thanks guys..  so awesome!

amsh89es335

I was shooting with the recent build from April 30 and MLV kept having an error asking me if the card was really EXFAT formatted after I had shot on a card for a while, copy files off and came back, with reformatting the card to exfat and some cards with reformatting. I had to switch back to the original RAW module to finish my shoot and had no more exfat errors. 

g3gg0

Quote from: amsh89es335 on May 04, 2014, 07:03:22 PM
I was shooting with the recent build from April 30 and MLV kept having an error asking me if the card was really EXFAT formatted after I had shot on a card for a while, copy files off and came back, with reformatting the card to exfat and some cards with reformatting. I had to switch back to the original RAW module to finish my shoot and had no more exfat errors.

menu item:
            {
                .name = "Files > 4GiB (exFAT)",
                .help = "Don't split files on 4GiB margins, not supported on all models.",
                .help2 = "Ensure you formatted your card as exFAT!"
            },

should have been clearly visible on the camera?

amsh89es335

I had all those selected and double checked the formatting as exfat.

g3gg0

amsh89es335

5D Mark III with 4 different kumputer bay 64gb 1000x cards and shot dozens of hours on them with the original RAW formatted exfat on my PC, but first time using them with MLV.

g3gg0

can you open explorer, right click your card, select properties and send me a screenshot?

Sganzerla

Sorry if this was answered somewhere here in ML Forum but I couldn't find.

I have a question: Is that possible to put my MKIII to record as fast as I touch the record button? I ask this because several months ago this was the norm with RAW_REC and with MLV I can't find how one can skip the "freeze time" before the actual recording.

I'm aware of this behaviour since I began to use MLV early in this year but in my last work (wedding) it brought me some small problems with a few takes.

Markus

Quote from: Sganzerla on May 07, 2014, 01:48:57 AM
Sorry if this was answered somewhere here in ML Forum but I couldn't find.

I have a question: Is that possible to put my MKIII to record as fast as I touch the record button? I ask this because several months ago this was the norm with RAW_REC and with MLV I can't find how one can skip the "freeze time" before the actual recording.

I'm aware of this behaviour since I began to use MLV early in this year but in my last work (wedding) it brought me some small problems with a few takes.

For instant recording you will have to stick to raw rec. Mlv's more complex filestructure with metadata and all that gives you that delay.

g3gg0

slowdowns:
- memory hack
- pre-creation of files to save time when 4GiB border is reached

first can be disabled via menu.
second one, well, i can skip this one if you have chosen exFAT (>4GiB) mode. let me check.

DjJuvan

Hi,

I'm using magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr20.5D3113 and the old RAW mode for video (it always worked OK), but today it fucked up most of my clips, that were all green...

how can I fix this clips :(

raw dng
https://gofile.me/2doWQ/5FSenQkR

I even tested the newest May 8th nightly release and I still get green .dng's. Then I turned off the memory hack (I have it for slower komputerbay) and no more green .dng's. I guess the memory hack is fucked up :\
I still need to save my files done till now... how can I get fixed .dngs out of RAW files :( I tried with preview mlv_view_sharp.exe, but are green too :(

g3gg0

Markus

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 08, 2014, 01:44:53 PM
slowdowns:
- memory hack
- pre-creation of files to save time when 4GiB border is reached

first can be disabled via menu.
second one, well, i can skip this one if you have chosen exFAT (>4GiB) mode. let me check.

Anything that can be done to minimize the delay would be extremly usfull. Thanks!

gravitatemediagroup

sorry if this is a silly question, but can MLV shoot over 1080?

reddeercity

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on May 13, 2014, 04:12:52 AM
sorry if this is a silly question, but can MLV shoot over 1080?
"1250" 3:2 A.R. , at least on the 5d2.